User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New site review required

Hi Guys

Would appreciate a review of a little site i made.
    I know there will be browser probs (there always is, why anyone uses netscape i'll never know). site was designed at 1024x768 on IE5. Don't get too technical guys... I'd like to know how the site "feels" or in other words if u were a customer would u like the site. Please remember it a little local company and not a multinational.

http://www.stupropertymaintenance.co.uk/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOT good with me.

there is a lot more that you can do better.
    your graphic (the shadow) does make me hard to read. incase i don't even read it

i think that FLASH splash page are not needed. remove it. get your real page infront.

no matter you're local one or multinational ... you have to design a little bit more attractive.

that page is created at 1024 X 768 .. i view it at 800 X 600 it's still look best! good job!

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolution:1280x1024 with a 1024x768 browser window
    Win ME
    IE 5.5

First thing that greets me is the Flash splash page - something I'm not a lover of. You have a 'skip' button though, so I can't mark you down too much on that one

When the main page loaded, the first thing I noticed was your title gif. It has very jagged ages and just doesn't look right, so I dragged it to the address bar to open the actual image on it's own page and got just what I expected. You are increasing the size of the original image, which isn't good. Gif's should always be shown at the correct size or they look awful.

I'm not too keen on the images either side of the title either. Photographic images would look much better than 'clip art' style images.

The mouseover colour on your buttons doesn't really do the site justice. Could you change the colour here? Perhaps a shade of grey rather than pink. Also, the rollover on the contact button doesn't work.

Looking at some of your pages, I notice that you've used quite a small font in some places. I didn't bother to even try to read it. It's way too small. I know I run with quite a high resolution, which does make fonts smaller, but I have a 21" monitor and the resolution isn't as high as it could be. Also, I really disliked the Roof Repairs page. The 'animated' pop-up takes forever to finish opening, and when it does, the text is un-readable.

Sorry to come across as so negative.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saz basically summed up what I was going to say...

The flash wasn't too bad cause it was quick and short.

I definately agree that the images need work. Especially the title...way too blurry like. It is very hard to read the words when you have put them over the picture. I would try to make more contrast between the picture and text so that they're easier to read.

The font size on some of the pages is wayyyyy too small. It seriously gave me a headache trying to look at it.

The overall feel of the website is great. As a customer I would be pleased with the site (once you fix up the images on top and left). I think it is a very well done job.
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'know, the other reviews here have been sort of negative, but I really liked your site. It's a bit simplistic maybe, but chances are, if your surfers are looking for property maintenance, they won't care how many tables or nav bars you have.

One thing, though - try to make the words on the houses to the left stand out just a tad bit more. It's sort of hard to read the way it is now. Other than that I like the page a lot!

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixed reviews here....

Info you may not need but I'll type anyways. I went to Bible school for training to enter Christian ministry. One of the major things that is taught to us as ministers is that if you need to correct someone because they have done something wrong, you should always find a way to build one up first so they don't turn you off. That being said, I'm not ministering to you, but the principles are the same. So here's the pluses.

In alot of ways, I like your site. I don't mind the title, although maybe a lighter color wouldn't hurt. NAvigation isn't bad either. I reckon most people in your line of work don't have websites, but then again, maybe they do in England. So I think you have a foot up there.

For the negatives. I do feel like I'm in the middle of a video game. The almost "animated" look to the background combine with the "photos" don't seem to reconcile in my mind. The items on the side, the menu items, would look better if the text was bigger. Also, on the Roof Repair page, you might try to find a different way to implement the "expanding flyers". PErsonally, I don't care for them. They open to slowly, and in this day of Netscape, I'm afraid they might not work right in NN browsers.

You have a good thing going but you need to tweak in a few areas.

HTH.
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Russ

Nice work with flash.

I am seeing the menu items on the left as really dark. kind of in the shadow. might want to check that.

make sure to center the site before giving it to the customer.

With the font color, consider making the bg a bit lighter, to bring out the font a bit more.

On the double glazing page, the space from the bottom of the text to the top of the photo is about an inch and the re is a feeling of detachment.

i like the page.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts echo most of these on here. The main title looks too jaggy. The flash intro, while nice, doesn't seem to sit well with the look of the site when you eventually get to it.

Also (this isn't really design-related), you have to scroll right down the page to see your phone numbers. Personally, I would put some contact numbers at the top of the page too, either above or below your title.

The houses on the navbar seems to move around a bit when you click from page to page too.

I didn't have any problems reading the text. The others must have poor eyesight.

The feel of the site however was actually a good one. Links worked, it felt solid, fairly reliable. A few nips and tucks, and the site will be a good 'un.
    Monkeyboy

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points :

I like the background.

I like the idea of the house theme, but agree that the text is a bit hard to read.

Think about :

I would just say think about the flash. Does it bring something to the website ? If you feel the answer is yes keep it and add a skip button, if you think no get rid of it.

Do you need to have such a big gap between the main text and the telephone numbers ? I would make this smaller.

The "S.T.U Property Maintenence" graphic at the top is a little bit blury.

Plus, I had never heard of Mamma before I saw your site, perhaps you could let the user know what the little blue box is for.

Sean

SitePoint Enthusiast ben_washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all - get rid of the flash, it may look cool but acheives no real purpose other than showing off your skills in creating flash presentations (not what the customer wants to know), also get rid of the "Click to enter" or whatever it says on your opening screen, just take people directly to your homepage.

Im sorry to say but your site needs a bit (ok a lot) of work, when I had a look at the source code of your site I noticed that you didnt use tables? Why, they are the most easy to use, versitile thing for positioning things, I stronly suggest useing them. I will start with your heading, it is too hard to read.

Ive gotta go now but I will give you a full reveiw tommorow

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STU Property Review

Russ,

I really liked the flash at the opening screen and was quite facinated by it. Photos are interesting too, but there is a lot of dead white space between the text and the pictures lower down on the pages.

Navigation bars are cute, but the font is too small and kind of blurry. Increase all the copy fonts to at least 12 pt., looks like they are at 10 pt., but I didn't check the source code. Also noticed that some of the copy code was in 10 pt. and others were already in 12 pt., can't remember exactly what page that was on though, sorry.

I really like the way you set up the site as far as the navigation goes, I had no problems moving around from page to page. Nice touch to describe and label all the parts of the house and problems that may happen with them.

Maybe contact name, address, and phone should be on the top of each page and also at the bottom. You would probably get more business that way. Folks don't always like to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

The Wicker Woman/Cathryn Peters
    http://www.wickerwoman.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest with you, the site si not good at all. The flash at the beggining is not clear of what your company sells or what is about, it is a bit too plain, and need some more graphics. For the graphic of the main page, it is not really attractive, especially the nav bar. Can't u change the nav bar, to some simple text but with some good effects than a house with a text over it. There is too much shadow, and the content is a bit limited with text. You chould add some attractive way to make your visitor like the site. cause when i go to your site, i don't wanna stay there. Is a bit too plain.,
    that's MY POINT of view, and in no way, should make you angry. Hope i helped you ,
    brian
    BrianStudio - the webdesign company
    Professional & Affordable
    Brian Dove - Senior Graphic Designer
    Direct Hire: info@brianstudio.com

SitePoint Zealot strangealienmagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.0
    1024 X 768

A lot of great advice already, but here's my nickle's worth:

You need to spell maintenance correctly. Actually, it is right in the subheading (tagline or whatever). Unless that's a Scottish thing?

Your company provides property maintenance services, but the first thing you mention is ""maintenance free" roofline products. That seems like a contradiction to me, but it might not bother anyone else.

I'm also confused as to whether you work mainly with homeowners, or businesses, or both. That would have a bearing on better explaining some of your terms and abreviations if you cater to homeowners at all.

For example, could you use a more "consumer friendly" term than UPVC? I know it's a type of poly vinyl chloride (plastic), but how about titling the link "We Use Superior Construction Materials", or something like that?

Your use of flash on the UPVC page worked well for me. Very informative. How about moving the line "Your property may be at risk if you do not keep your roof up to standard" up a bit? That tells me I may be in trouble, then you can give me specifics as to how you can solve that problem. Also would be good to use that on your roofiing page. (Scare 'em, then sell 'em.)

I really like your background.

Could you have pictures of people working on houses for the main page? That would add a little needed activity and make your site and company appear to be more dynamic. It works well on the Exterior Paint page. Also, why not put that photo up further on the page?

How about closing up some of the white space to look more like the Joinery page? That looks great. Although, there again, you could do with a bit better explanation of your services if you're catering to the average homeowner.

I know you've got your phone number on all the other pages, but how about putting them on the Contact page, along with your address?

One last thing. Did you notice that the background is stationary on the contact page, while it scrolls on al the other pages?

I agree with another earlier reviewer - a little nip here and tuck there and you'll have a really nice site.