User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting a Newsletter

I've got a couple questions on how to properly start a newsletter --

First, some history. I've been running my sites for almost seven years now, and I just recently (about a year ago) started allowing user registration. Registration is a double opt-in process -- that is, users choose their username and password, and then have to click a link in their email to confirm their registration.

Well, I got more registrations than I expected -- I'm past 10,000 now, and that's with no promotion for user registration. I'm about to launch a redesigned site (on the same topic users signed up for), and I'd like to announce it to my registered users. I plan to let this be my transition in to sending regular newsletter updates.

My question is --
    Now that I have this list of users, what software should I use to send out the newsletter? Should I host it off-site, or will I be fine using my current server (due to load and filtering issues)? From the experts out there, what else should I consider before I give this a try?

Thanks!
    Andy Powell
    Dumb Laws, Real Haunted Houses, Dumb Criminals, Actual Aliens
    I buy sites with original content. PM me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to be careful of is that even though your list is double opt-in, many of your subscribers won't remember signing up to your list a year ago.

So it might be a good idea to include some brief text explaining how they got on the list, as well as a clear unsubscribe link. That way you are going to reduce the number of customers that think they are receiving spam.
    Campaign Monitor
    Email newsletter software for web designers

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea -- I was definitely planning to do that with the first mailing. I agree, it is likely that some users won't remember signing up.
    Andy Powell
    Dumb Laws, Real Haunted Houses, Dumb Criminals, Actual Aliens
    I buy sites with original content. PM me.