SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

commweb
    SitePoint Community Guest

Basic questions about back blinks

Hi,

Could someone verify for me the most common method of getting ranks? I know that SEO is hugely a complex business, but how do these companies manage to get quite good results?

Could someone verify if in "general" this following method is the most popular used and most simple method of off page SEO.

1. Backlinks with anchor text pointing to your site.

Is this the simplest and most universal way of getting high ranks? The anchor text like "click here" with click here being the anchor text that then is calculated somehow as to count for your sites keywords?

2. Is this purely only a concept that is applying to the Google algorthm?

commweb
    I did'nt think I should open up another separate thread so I'll ask my question here:
    Can anybody recommend the best forums to learn basic SEO from, or is this a good forum to get general advice from?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Considering no other forum has an SEO FAQ I'd say we're the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by commweb
    1. Backlinks with anchor text pointing to your site.

Is this the simplest and most universal way of getting high ranks? The anchor text like "click here" with click here being the anchor text that then is calculated somehow as to count for your sites keywords?

2. Is this purely only a concept that is applying to the Google algorthm?
    Links affect Google far more then any other search engine although I would think it is safe to say it affects all of the major search engines in some capacity. The anchor text is a critical factor in Google and very much influences their rankings.

commweb
    So for example for a site that is focused on web design and development or the main key word "web development" What would be the way to get a back link.

How would you go about creating the actual backlink?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can't create them but you can request them from other webmasters. You can submit your site to web directories and email other sites requesting link exchanges.

commweb
    The Chargeback Challenge in your signature, is that a good example of a backlink and anchor text? So if a person posted a "relevant link" in a forum, wiki, blogg (non spamming post I am speaking of) then does this all count as a backlink?

Also I have seen examples of very high ranking sites, and I discovered they were doing things like making huge amounts of pages that linked to themselves, invariable however they had them set up it was obvious that those pages filled with "backlinks" were directly under that websites control. I hope that makes sense, so when I saw this I saw that this must have been a perfect example of "backlinks" however this website seemed to purely create pages for the sole purpose of having backlinks.

I have seen it used around so many times, but the thing is I notice it on the high ranking sites that I check out.

I use the link:www.somewebsite.com to check it out, and invariable I see high ranking sites that have ranked high for along time who have basically just done nothing more than accumulate lots of backlinks...(obviously some on page SEO).

Any comments?

commweb
    PS Stymiee, thats a brilliant SEO F&A, and answered alot of my questions! Thanks for the effort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Chargeback Challenge in your signature, is that a good example of a backlink and anchor text? So if a person posted a "relevant link" in a forum, wiki, blogg (non spamming post I am speaking of) then does this all count as a backlink?
    Yes. Having your keywords in the anchor text is exactly what your goal would be. And a backlink is any link pointing to your pages on another site. BTW, internal links are valuable as well.

Also I have seen examples of very high ranking sites, and I discovered they were doing things like making huge amounts of pages that linked to themselves, invariable however they had them set up it was obvious that those pages filled with "backlinks" were directly under that websites control. I hope that makes sense, so when I saw this I saw that this must have been a perfect example of "backlinks" however this website seemed to purely create pages for the sole purpose of having backlinks.

I have seen it used around so many times, but the thing is I notice it on the high ranking sites that I check out.
    This can be an effective technique but it walksa very fine line. Sooner or later sites that use "tricks" like this will fall in the rankings as the search engines learn how to weed them out.

PS Stymiee, thats a brilliant SEO F&A, and answered alot of my questions! Thanks for the effort.
    Any time

commweb
    Hi Stymie but that is my point about search engines weeding them out. They are as you say "walking a fine line" any human who sees it can see that they are purposely making artificial pages.

For example http://www.web-design.mycompany.com/...esign-virginia with a page starting WEB DESIGN IN VIRGINIA

WEBDESIGN (link back to a main page called something/web-design) is obviously using this technique.

Now my point is to say that they are their after along long time, I mean like year or more they are their in the top pages.

So it seems this is not just effective but it truly works for the long haul, the same I have read about groups who do these "tests" and use blogging links to get a site high in the ranks, I have read about experiments. One was about "george bush and the whitehouse" some scheme they all got together and made it rank number one for one phrase.

That principle that I'm talking about in general seems to have no "danger flags" attached to it, I mean there seems nothing that any search engine can do about this very general and very broad backlink thing. Like for example they may not "rank you so highly" but they will never penalise you for having alot of backlinks so it seems.

I am using the most simlpe analytical tool available and that is by just simply looking at other high rankers source code/backlink and that seems to reveal alot. I'm just amazed at the results.

commweb
    Interestingly I notice that the system here prevents peopel posting very long urls?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interestingly I notice that the system here prevents peopel posting very long urls?
    The URLs still work but they are abreviated so they don't stretch the page out.

commweb
    Ah! Thanks