SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best start is with 0 money?

Hm iw as just thinking and figured out that moust of bilionair companys and sites have started with almoust 0$ they paid only for servers, they have never advertiesed like ebay , google , yahoo, cnet... and many others... am i right that when u dont have big $$$ in pocket u will worck harder and your work will be 100x payed up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not really. for every success story of companies that started with little money, there's thousands of failure stories.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the no-advertising-myth I would like to remind you that companies such as eBay have heavily marketed themselves through affiliate programs in the beginnings. They continue to do so, although at a slower pace. But I digress. In my opinion, starting with a zero dollar budget will not yield more success stories. It is not about money -- it is about people behind the project. They shape the project and ultimately decide whether it turns into a so-called success story or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hm i take in exemple mine site.. i have spend 0$ in advertiesing and i have 5 milion/month visits... and that number is growing for 10% every month

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. I started with about $15 for domain name and about $80 for the hosting and pretty much that's all. Never spent anything on advertising. Now I don't even need to pay for the hosting (sponsored deal) and my site is bringing me income.

That's zero expenses per month with guaranteed profit. That's my first success although it is nothing big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having $0 certainly wont help you, but its still possible to be successful. Probably just you here more "rags to riches" stories than you hear "'doing alright' to riches" stories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you can be success with $0 in advertising if you're willing to work hard! Hard work always pays off in the end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, get a clue, guys... the 90's are over. There is terrible competition now, no way you could start a site like Ebay or Google today without a huge investment.

Of course, if you are thinking like Snecx and think that "success" means being able to pay for your domain and hosting, then sure, you can make it... but i would feel like I'm wasting my time if I worked as a webmaster and was earning just a few bucks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fryman
    Nah, get a clue, guys... the 90's are over. There is terrible competition now, no way you could start a site like Ebay or Google today without a huge investment.

Of course, if you are thinking like Snecx and think that "success" means being able to pay for your domain and hosting, then sure, you can make it... but i would feel like I'm wasting my time if I worked as a webmaster and was earning just a few bucks.
    Heh, everybody got their first step no? But not for few bucks, those are meaningless.

However, $0 for advertising is possible but $0 for anything new is impossible.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with very little money but it took nearly a year to build it to a point where I could live off the income. Of course all of my new projects I can easily kickstart with thousands of dollars if I feel like it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even in the 90's google needed large investments.

and ebay was backed by rosie... ha ha

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need a few thousand minimum to be individually successful. For every person you add you need to make so much more.