SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a bad decision to invest in google now, I can see it all coming crumbling down, they're already peaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its over $300 right now and the guy from mad money on msnbc says you should still buy
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy it personally, not because I think it's bad or anything I just can't buy enough shares to make it worthwhile and I like to stay more diversified.

Jim Cramer (from Mad Money, MSNBC) as dethfire says still gives it a buy with a target of $350.

Also from MSNBC:

Benjamin Schachter, Internet analyst at UBS Securities LLC thinks the shares, which debuted at $85 each, have not yet topped out.

"We have a $350 target. I think this thing still has room to run. When you a have a company that blows out numbers each quarter the expectation it will continue to do well is not particularly unrealistic"

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marubozo
    I do think GOOG will be looking towards a forward split sometime soon, because they do need to get the share price down to attract more investors. Only time will tell how long that will be, but I do find it hard to believe they will maintain this kind of share price. They will for as long as possible, but eventually it will be time to split.
    I doubt they will split it anytime soon.

When they did the IPO they said that they didn't want the stock in the hands of small money speculators but rather people who were interested in investing for the long-term.

Keeping the price high discourages joe lunchbox from buying shares without doing his homework first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    I wouldn't buy it personally, not because I think it's bad or anything I just can't buy enough shares to make it worthwhile and I like to stay more diversified.
    This is a common misconception. The actual number of shares you have is completely meaningless. What is the difference if you have 1,000 shares of a stock trading at $3.00 or 10 shares of a stock trading at $300? You still have $3,000 invested. And a 10% gain in either stock, regardless of your share count, results in a gain of $300.

So to say it isn't worthwhile to invest in a company because of stock price is silly. Even one share of google is still $300 invested, even if it is one share. And since you diversify based on dollar value, not number of shares, you should have no problem even buying just a couple shares if you want to get in on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marubozo
    This is a common misconception. The actual number of shares you have is completely meaningless. What is the difference if you have 1,000 shares of a stock trading at $3.00 or 10 shares of a stock trading at $300? You still have $3,000 invested. And a 10% gain in either stock, regardless of your share count, results in a gain of $300.

So to say it isn't worthwhile to invest in a company because of stock price is silly. Even one share of google is still $300 invested, even if it is one share. And since you diversify based on dollar value, not number of shares, you should have no problem even buying just a couple shares if you want to get in on it.
    I can take that same $3,000, invest it in my index fund with a very low expense ratio, be completely diversified, never have to re-allocate the money, not have to track GOOG and sleep at night.

As I said, it's not worthwhile for me.

Not that I would lose sleep at night over $3k, just using your number :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well of course you should be diversified, I was just saying, the common belief with most individual investors is that high priced stocks are too expensive for them to invest in. Most people think they need 100 shares, 1000 shares, etc. They usually don't look at it in terms of even 1 share that is worth $300 or 100 shares that are worth $3.00, it is the same thing.

I talk to people all the time who tell me they can only invest in stocks under $10 a share because they don't have much money to invest, etc.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOG continues to shock investors with it's earnings report. Take a look at what GOOG did in after hours trading today. I would say $400 a share is not far off in the future.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy above that $350 target until at least the next earnings report.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously all the older posts saying not to bug GOOG in the 200 and low 300 range were wrong, so far. I own a lot of shares, so i'll tell you why. First, most people use google everyday. i estimate 90%+ market penetration. Second, google converts this popularity and loyalty to profits. Yearly sales 5 Billion dollars+, and a 24% profit margin. Also, this is a growing market segment, since many uses for the internet are not convenient and efficient, and google has a nack for clean, efficient, nice software automation. My suggestion is buy as much as you can afford, and hold it and forget about it for 10 years. The price is totally irrelevant to the growth. It is only a barrier to the threshold to buy one share, and with a low commission trade commission, the cost to but that $395 share is about $10, for 1 or up to 1000 shares. GOOG is a 'popular' stock because they are revolutionizing the search engine space, and now adding tools that fundamentally challenge Microsoft. It will probably be possible to use Google software to do all your home (non hard-core) computing, in the near future. Microsoft is changing their strategy because of this threat, that should tell everyone something. GOOG will grow at 50%/year+ for many years, or so I think.