SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is the programming team not posting?

Well, this probably does not belong here..maybe more into Sean's mailbox. However, I have been wondering why the Sitepoint Programming Team and Programming Mentors don't post here regularly. After all there were selected to do so no?

Sorry if I am coming too close to some people, I am just wondering. *shrug*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are right, and it is indeed part of their "duty" to post here regularly, I would absolutely love to see more participation from them on these forums.

Indeed, the "PHP Application Design" forum seems a little bit dead as of late... could it be the name change?
    Garcia

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno...probably. But then again there are still messages posted that relate to advanced php stuff other than architectural design issues.

I was just wondering, because I guess they were elected for a reason and thus probably most of us could learn something from them. It's just a pity.

Even I would free some time in helping. Not that I claim to be any good at this, but just to let the community know that the community team is present.

Big sorry if I am stepping on the feet of people, that's not my intention. Just willing to improve my skills and learn from people who have been there already.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, not all Programming Team members are "PHPers", so I guess we can't expect them post here. They are (very) active in their respective forum(s).

Second, I can only speak for myself. My overall posting has dropped this spring. This is because of several reasons, but the main one is that I have had to prioritize my school work as I have had an extremly busy semester. When I'm here most of my time goes to moderation and other staff work.

I have never posted much in the "advanced" php section. This is probably because I've never seen myself as a very "advanced" programmer and feel that I've very little to add to most of the discussions going on in this forum, althought more advanced aspects of programming starts to "grow on" me now. However I read most of the topics in this forum, and I think Sean does aswell.

It is part of our "duty" to be a regular participant in the forums. This does not however mean that we, as a team, are able to be regulars in every part of our section. There will always be a forum(s) that does not have a staff member posting in it regularly.

We were elected, not only based of our level of knowledge, but because of a overall impression. Some people can be extremely knowing about programming, but lack other qualities we're looking for. Others have everything else, but don't know enough about programming. It all comes down to finding the right balance. Of course beeing "top-notch" in all aspects would be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    Indeed, the "PHP Application Design" forum seems a little bit dead as of late... could it be the name change?
    I'm a bit surprised about this comment. The name change was done to hopefully make the purpose of this forum much clearer. All members were invitet to say their opinoin before anything was changed. The change was actually initiated by a member.

-Helge

PS. You're not stepping on my feet.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    I think it just seems quieter because there aren't half a dozen incorrectly posted threads that have to be moved everyday. Anyway, it's quality not quantity that counts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngelBGE
    .. just to let the community know that the community team is present
    As Helge said, we are always here in the background. The Programming forums (especially the PHP Forum) are some of the busiest forums on SitePoint. Moderating takes a lot of time and doesn't always leave much time for posting.

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have our niche forums - just like any member. You can always find me in the Javascript forum , but this App Design subforum is really advanced! So I don't post here, but I do lurk - especially since I'm getting more into PHP lately - fun stuff!

I've noticed recently that forum traffic in general is way down, compared to a few months ago. I've noticed this at other boards too, so maybe it's normal for the beginning of summer (for some of us ).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I think it just seems quieter because there aren't half a dozen incorrectly posted threads that have to be moved everyday.
    Or, maybe because I'm never here on this forum for the most part nowadays? But that's proberly because I'm living in fear at the moment...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright thanks for the cleaar up guys. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a "Members currently viewing this forum" feature like IPB has (or maybe make it clearer if it is already there)?

Quote Originally Posted by Helge
    I have never posted much in the "advanced" php section. This is probably because I've never seen myself as a very "advanced" programmer and feel that I've very little to add to most of the discussions going on in this forum, althought more advanced aspects of programming starts to "grow on" me now. However I read most of the topics in this forum, and I think Sean does aswell.

It is part of our "duty" to be a regular participant in the forums. This does not however mean that we, as a team, are able to be regulars in every part of our section. There will always be a forum(s) that does not have a staff member posting in it regularly.

We were elected, not only based of our level of knowledge, but because of a overall impression. Some people can be extremely knowing about programming, but lack other qualities we're looking for. Others have everything else, but don't know enough about programming. It all comes down to finding the right balance. Of course beeing "top-notch" in all aspects would be the best.
    Yeah I know, that's how I elect the moderation team on my forums, too.

Cheers, everyone!