SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your attention, please

First of all, thank you to everybody for hundreds of interesting threads and teaching me so much... as a result of your lessons, I have a link in my signature as my first promotion try with the search engines!!

But, finally, the time has come, and I have decided that enough is enough... and that I need to start to make some money (today better than tomorrow) so I really need your help...

Obviously, I will start with Harry Potter thing because I had it in my signature for three months now and it looks horrendous... and I can design much better than that!

As you can imagine, I am an Amazon affiliate. So tell me, how should I design the page so that it really makes money? Should I include something like Adsense as well? How should I advertise it? If you do recommend ads, where should I place them?

Any hint that you can give me will help, from the ads I should use, to promotion, even to how the page should look, or the colors that should be use, layout, etc.

My only idea right now is to create various layouts so each time you visit the page you will have a different look, but I welcome any suggestions.

Basically, how do I make it sell? Think magic....

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    First of all, thank you to everybody for hundreds of interesting threads and teaching me so much... as a result of your lessons, I have a link in my signature as my first promotion try with the search engines!!
    Is the signature link itself your first promotion with the search engines, or are you just saying that you're promoting the website that you have linked in your signature elsewhere? Reason I'm asking this is because I don't believe that links in signatures here on Sitepoint will help you with the search engines, since they are only viewable by registered members when they are logged in. Your signature link is not viewable to non-members of the site (including the search bots, as far as I know).
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very true. No, the page is not being promoted as yet, the only thing is the link in my signature. The reason being that, even in the case that the spiders do not index it, people at sitepoint can have a peek and tell it to their friends if they like it.

Kind of obvious that that is not going to happen today, the page is just a two minute thing I did because I did not want to have a link linking to nothing.

I did not know that signatures were not visible to non-members, but since I have not being promoting... well, that's all right.

But now, I want to use it as a serious experiment. So that is why I want everybody's opinion.

Before promoting it seriously, I want to know how do you think that I should market this, bearing in mind that I do not want to have a Harry Potter site, it will be only for this book.

From the design, to content, to the ads (even if you think that I should make my own ads...), to promotion

With all that information, I will draw a plan and re-design it, and then promote it and see what happens

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before promoting it seriously, I want to know how do you think that I should market this, bearing in mind that I do not want to have a Harry Potter site, it will be only for this book.

From the design, to content, to the ads (even if you think that I should make my own ads...), to promotion

With all that information, I will draw a plan and re-design it, and then promote it and see what happens

cheers
    I went to the site.. maybe you can start by changing the colors a bit .. as in the color combinations.
    Although you dont want a harry potter site, if you want people to actually get excited enough when they visit your site to click on your amazon links with a "want to buy" attitude, you will need to provide more content than just a review of the book, and the amazon banners and links....
    Moreover, in order to get links from other sites, the best strategy is to add more quality content.. else people might not link to your site if all you have there is .. a couple of pages with affiliate links .... and very little content.
    I dont think there is any alternative at all to quality content. Think sitepoint ! there are many who link to this site "freely" without ever being requested.... and thats because of the quality content. so even though you're just making the site for that harry potter book, you will need much more content than just stuff about the book, if you want to make this a success.
    And, pay careful attention to the design ....it should be aesthetically pleasing ....
    Once you take care of these things, the ad clicks and the affiliate sales will take care of themselves

best of luck !
    Accepting Offers: NicheLabs.com - ExploringVOIP.com
    StableJob.com - AboutUniversities.com - Gemstone.co.in
    Assets.co.in - PropertyDealers.org - MortgageFirms.org
    eLearner.org - TravelResorts.info - TourstoAsia.com

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you saurab.

The only problem that I have with the content is that the book is not in the stores yet, and every single site I've seen about the book say the same things and news. And I do not think that doing the same would bring me any more links.

At the beggining I thought of building a "game", similar to trivial, with questions about rumours and truths about the book... but I do not know if that would be a distraction more than a help to my sales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the beggining I thought of building a "game", similar to trivial, with questions about rumours and truths about the book... but I do not know if that would be a distraction more than a help to my sales
    not a bad idea ... maybe also something like Crosswords ... they're always fun and can draw a sizeable crowd to your site ..... remember a person going to a harry potter site is going there to get entertained also (among other things) .. so games and trivia make perfect sense... you can also do something like ... "send this crossword to a friend" (viral marketing) ... that friend would then come to your site for his game of crosswords and recommend a few more
    Add to that a list of "top scorers" .. and in no time you'll have hundreds of people coming to your site and also recommending others in turn ...

saurab

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now, I did not think of that! that is a very good one... Cheers!

I think I am going to design various levels of difficulty... we do not want to make too easy for the grown ups (as they are the ones that will buy the book for themselves and their kids)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might get some more reviews and suggestions if you request a site review in the Reviews and Critiques forum.
    Sara

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reason that I thought that here would be better is that what my interest is really directed to advertising and promotion. True, in this case, it gets the wider meaning of the word... Really, is how to build it to make it a success. Because it is not a micro-site about one subject, but a page to sell something very specific. So from the colors, to where to place, ads, which type of ads should be placed, etc and, obviously, how it should be promoted.

And to be honest, I did not think about viral marketing but if the content is original enough, and entertaining enough, viral marketing could work wonders.

I guess that the best thing to do is to make my own ad and put it on the top of the page, beneath the title, then?. Should I warn them that they will be re-directed to Amazon to buy the book, or should I just simply say something like "pre-order with a 40% discount" and nothing else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi
    it is not a micro-site about one subject, but a page to sell something very specific.
    i suggest have multiple pages, instead of one.... people like clicking through links and "navigating their way" through a site...... they wouldnt care whether having a site was or wasnt your plan.
    on the trivia pages dont have too many affiliate links .... put some but not lots... rather put a prominent one just next to some place important.. like next to the top scorers list or some such place, or just above the trivia/game.

I guess that the best thing to do is to make my own ad and put it on the top of the page, beneath the title, then?.
    I dont think you should put ads beneath the title. rather design a really nice harry-potter-related logo and put it where logos are normally put ...... put the ads next to your best content or side-by-side your game or trivia or even at the top of your page as you said. that's where they'll grab attention.

Should I warn them that they will be re-directed to Amazon to buy the book, or should I just simply say something like "pre-order with a 40% discount" and nothing else?
    pre-order with a 40% discount on amazon is cool. dont write that they'll be re-directed to amazon ... most of them will already know it .....and plus it isnt professional. why even yahoo is an affiliate to a thousand businesses... and look at their pages (like education or travel) ... they pretend as if they own the content .. but the moment you click on "book your hotel" .. off you go to expedia they arent apologetic abt the fact that you are going to be taken elsewhere.

saurab

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks so much for your help, saurab. I really appreciate it. I will concentrate next week in doing the general design and getting content to have one or two games to start with and be able to test it, and move to add content from them... I will definately follow your advise... and of course... I will keep you posted as soon as results start to come :-)