SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Contest forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contest forum

Where can designers that work on the contest forum discuss issues? And sometimes these issues will get heated. Is there a place at SitePoint for this type of discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum support is the best place for such discussions.

Discussions getting a little heated isn't a problem - however when people start insulting each other etc it does become a problem.
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if the two having the discussion don't see the discussion as having taken place as insulting. But the moderator having just found the thread jumps in because he sees it as such? Shouldn't the moderator's practice moderation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats insulting and what isn't comes down to the primary rule of these forums:
    RESPECT IS THE KEY
    When a thread degrades into mudslinging and insults that policy has clearly been broken. At this stage moderators will take action regardless of whether the two people arguing consider their remarks insulting.
    Rick

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Whats insulting and what isn't comes down to the primary rule of these forums:When a thread degrades into mudslinging and insults that policy has clearly been broken. At this stage moderators will take action regardless of whether the two people arguing consider their remarks insulting.
    I think you were right in doing something about the argument within the thread. However, it is a shame that you closed a productive thread that had good participation from many designers because of the argument of only a couple of people.

In my opinion, in this case, the interests of the majority would have been better served if you had pm'd the arguing parties and gave them a warning instead of "punishing" all of us.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I closed a productive thread. I apologize to the group. But I sometimes think it depends on which side of the design question you are on, many times the contest holders can be insulting and nothing is done, but when one questions their background the thread is closed because of insulting comments. I'll stay out of it from now on.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    Sorry I closed a productive thread. I apologize to the group. But I sometimes think it depends on which side of the design question you are on, many times the contest holders can be insulting and nothing is done, but when one questions their background the thread is closed because of insulting comments. I'll stay out of it from now on.
    I don't think it was just you. What needs to be done is to keep personalities out of the mix and concentrate on the issues.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can keep personalities out of it. Who are we if we aren't our personalities. When someone tells me I don't understand the "corporate" outlook I will question it. What makes them an expert? and my opinion null?

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At the beginning of this thread, t his was your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by phacker
    Where can designers that work on the contest forum discuss issues? And sometimes these issues will get heated. Is there a place at SitePoint for this type of discussion?
    No, I don't believe there is a place at SitePoint for heated discussions. Heated discussions are generally neither friendly and typically others chime in just to add fuel to the fires. I believe SitePoint is very wise in not having a "venting forum", which appears to be what you would like to see.

The place for heated discussions is e-mails, pm's (if both users agree to discuss... a simple inquiry generally works) and message applications like MSN. That way two people who are having a problem can sort it out and leave the rest of the community out of it, which in my opinion, is as it should be. If one of the parties doesn't want to sort things out, you can always add them to your ignore list.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    At the beginning of this thread, t his was your question.

No, I don't believe there is a place at SitePoint for heated discussions. Heated discussions are generally neither friendly and typically others chime in just to add fuel to the fires. I believe SitePoint is very wise in not having a "venting forum", which appears to be what you would like to see.

The place for heated discussions is e-mails, pm's (if both users agree to discuss... a simple inquiry generally works) and message applications like MSN. That way two people who are having a problem can sort it out and leave the rest of the community out of it, which in my opinion, is as it should be. If one of the parties doesn't want to sort things out, you can always add them to your ignore list.

I think "heated" is a relative term. And discussions can become "heated" to some without becoming improper. It depends sometimes upon which side of the discussion you are on.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat, I think everything you post sounds like you are being confrontational because you never use smilies. Wayne Luke was the same way. Every message you post comes across like you are angry and bitter about something

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think you have "put your finger on it".

Having to "take a side" is counter productive to a community. Although members may disagree on some points, it's hard to work things out when people begin dividing an issue into sides instead of facing the problems together and trying to find solutions.

When you divide an issue into sides, you generally put someone on the defensive and they no longer want to add their input. Although one person's opinion may differ from another's, you need input on both positions to find a compromise that works for all.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem, as I see it, is that the arguements presented often become Argumentum ad hominem, so to speak, which turns an otherwise productive conversation into a slagging off match between two people. If this could be avoided then we wouldn't have a problem, but it seems inevitable that at least two participants will take exception to each others comments and start a fight.
    Last edited by Rick; May 23, 2005 at 15:27. Reason: Added a definition Link
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat, I think everything you post sounds like you are being confrontational because you never use smilies. Wayne Luke was the same way. Every message you post comes across like you are angry and bitter about something
    I apologize for not using "smilies" I am on a dialup so I cut corners, and bypass the cutsies.

Having to "take a side" is counter productive to a community. Although members may disagree on some points, it's hard to work things out when people begin dividing an issue into sides instead of facing the problems together and trying to find solutions.
    Sometimes taking a side is a sign of honesty and committment.

Attacking the Person
    (argumentum ad hominem)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Definition:
    The person presenting an argument is attacked instead of the
    argument itself. This takes many forms. For example, the
    person's character, nationality or religion may be attacked.
    Alternatively, it may be pointed out that a person stands to
    gain from a favourable outcome. Or, finally, a person may be
    attacked by association, or by the company he keeps.
    I don't think my discussion in the closed thread even came close to this.