SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sites in many languages

    Does anybody have any tips about getting sites translated to other languages?

    Seems to me most sites that make $$ in English could make much more in Chinese. (I know ... so many dialects in China ... but that's part of this question, too).

    Any experience, anybody?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Serial Site Creator ToddW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwsnewbie
    Does anybody have any tips about getting sites translated to other languages?

    Seems to me most sites that make $$ in English could make much more in Chinese. (I know ... so many dialects in China ... but that's part of this question, too).

    Any experience, anybody?

    Thanks!!
    How do you plan to make moeny with a site in Chinese? While there may be more vistiors most advertisers are looking for traffic from USA/Europe/Canada so while you have more people/visitors from China you may not earn more maybe not even as much...

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ToddW,

    Chinese Ads.

    Chinese Affilliate programs. Does Google speak Chinese ... yet?

    Your own upload site is a good example. The concept works in any language.

    mws

  4. #4
    Serial Site Creator ToddW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwsnewbie
    Thanks, ToddW,

    Chinese Ads.

    Chinese Affilliate programs. Does Google speak Chinese ... yet?

    Your own upload site is a good example. The concept works in any language.

    mws
    Google Yes - http://www.google.com/intl/zh-CN/

    Where have you found affiliate programs for China? I know of some International ones but payout isn't that great, and CPM networks remove most int. impressions...

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found anything. ... That's why the thread.

    Just as Coca Cola & MacDonald's discovered years ago ... where there are 8 billion people, there is $$ to be made.

    If you have something marketable to anybody in any language, aren't you limiting yourself a lot by just marketing to North America?

    If Google has search in Chinese, do they also have AdSense in Chinese?

    I know it is reaching a bit, but there are lots of people in this world that speak other languages. Leaving potential markets untapped wouldn't seem to be a good strategy.

    Thanks,
    mws

  6. #6
    Serial Site Creator ToddW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwsnewbie
    I haven't found anything. ... That's why the thread.

    Just as Coca Cola & MacDonald's discovered years ago ... where there are 8 billion people, there is $$ to be made.

    If you have something marketable to anybody in any language, aren't you limiting yourself a lot by just marketing to North America?

    If Google has search in Chinese, do they also have AdSense in Chinese?

    I know it is reaching a bit, but there are lots of people in this world that speak other languages. Leaving potential markets untapped wouldn't seem to be a good strategy.

    Thanks,
    mws
    Good points, and I`m not sure about adsense...

  7. #7
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think targeting chinese traffic isn't a good idea. Most adnetworks pays much less for chinese traffic. Anyway, if you want your site translated into other language, you will need to contract a human translator.

  8. #8
    Non-Member nitroy2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dam u peopel are still idio.. did u ever heard about this
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/
    it translates complete urls complete pages txt... btw sometimes it doesent translate like u would like to translate.... there must be 0 erors in gramar...

  9. #9
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,175
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, really.... I would not trust it very much.... I use it from time to time to translate from English to my native language (Spanish) and the translations are less than perfect...

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, all.

    I knew about babelfish, but I doubt I would have trusted it without verifying with a human before publishing.

    I was also trying to find out if there were international ad networks that would make it worthwhile. That doesn't appear to be the case.

    Hey NitRoy, how do you smart people find out about stuff you never tried? I figured trying to find other people who have tried it would be a good plan.



    mws

  11. #11
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Well, really.... I would not trust it very much.... I use it from time to time to translate from English to my native language (Spanish) and the translations are less than perfect...
    really same for french

  12. #12
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,175
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laura2005
    really same for french
    Yep... Though I have to say that sometimes is such a good laugh


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •