User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attention Aussies

The average Australian pays off
    their mortgage (bond) by the time they reach 40!
    Read this on a UK mortgage site - any Aussies know if its true? Or are they talking pooh?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a guess I would say that this is probably typical of the generation that are currently in their 40s or older. My parent's generation (they are late 50s).

Did you see the 42 Up movie? It was on the TV here last weekend. Well if you remember the guy who was in the boys' home when he was 7 and immigrated to Australia with his father. Well that guy was a bricklayer and is now a forklift driver and his wife is a hair dresser.They have two or three kids and live somewhere in the suburbs of Melbourne. In the 42 Up movie they had just paid off their first home and purchased a larger home (thus requiring another mortgage). I think this is fairly typical too - paying off the first home and then buying something bigger as the kids grow. That is what happened in my family.

One thing to remember is that Australia is a young country. As more land has been needed to accommodate the growth in population it has been cleared (either of the trees or the cows that were there) piped and wired. Its only in places like Sydney where the land is running out and the government is against further urban sprawl and the negative externalities (pollution, reliance on private transport) that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is the land running out in Sydney? - is that something to do with the Outback/Desert???
    I thought you lot had plenty of land?

Our country is just way to small for the amount of people we have here - and the bugger's keep trying to get in!!! (...oh yeah - that's because our government give them free houses and clothes and...)

In the village I grew up in I have seen about 6-10 green-field areas built upon - like we need anymore houses/shopping centers!!!

LET ME OUT!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Sydney's not in the middle of a desert. I assume it's just that the land is all owned by somebody, or it is national park (forest). A more important problem is that the distance from the centre to the edge of the city is putting a strain on certain things. Urban sprawl has been the Australian way and to many, it still is. The urban sprawl in Melbourne is just as extensive.

For a city with only four and a half million people, it sure covers a lot of square kilometres! And with such a sparse sprawl, the cost effectiveness of public transport, and facilities, and other things is dragging.

Hmm....
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London has a population of 6 million - the city centre is only 1 square mile.

They sure cram us in.

(by the way - didn't think Sydney was in the middle of a desert... just close to some arrid landscape - I don't know any better...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...funny thing is - I reckon half a million of the people in London are Aussies or Kiwis!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably Sheffield is crammed in as well - we have a huuuuge block of flats behind the station - and plenty more tower blocks - Ive not seen one tower block in austrailia yet
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    by the way - didn't think Sydney was in the middle of a desert... just close to some arrid landscape - I don't know any better...
    It's not in the middle of a desert, it's right on the coast actually. But the problem is that arid land is just an hour or two away. That severely limits the amount of horizontal growth available to them.

I personally admire Sydney for it's efficient use of space. I HATE American companies that feel justified in building a mall that is over 1/4 of a mile long but only 1 story. Also the parking around the mall is ALSO one story. I just don't understand why they can't conserve half the space by building UP!
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as I thought - lots of flys as well, no? (or is that Perth?)

I have been to an American Mall like that in Charlotte, NC - bludy knackering to get all the way round - took nearly 3 hours!

You want to see 'use of space' - come to England.
    Whether or not it is efficient is another matter!

I think we should get rid of cars all together but the government is making a mint on Petrol (for every 10 we put in our cars - the government claims 8).

I hate it - I am getting out - Canada, here I come...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by norfett
    Probably Sheffield is crammed in as well - we have a huuuuge block of flats behind the station - and plenty more tower blocks - Ive not seen one tower block in austrailia yet
    There's hundreds of them crammed near the centre of Melbourne! Levels upon levels of low quality housing. I can see many of them from my window.

The CBD of any city is going to be small. The Melbourne city centre is only about one square mile. But the city of greater Melbourne spreads out up to 80km in some directions. A great number of people drive for an hour and a half to get to work in the morning.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    ...funny thing is - I reckon half a million of the people in London are Aussies or Kiwis!!!!!
    \
    You would probably be right! Further education over here (uni etc) is paid for by the student taking out a student load (or funding it by parents or whatever) so what seems to happen is students graduate with a loan in the order of 50K NZ $ and think either ill go overseas forever and never pay it back or ill go to Britain earn 3 times as much as i would over here save up enough to pay off loan and buy a house and then sometimes come back when they are about 30!!!

The problem is we have very few young doctors, lawyers, etc because they all get sucked overseas....and many of them dont come back!.
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe, yeah and in Sydney half of Bondi are Kiwis and half of Coogee are Pommy backpackers.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is we have very few young doctors, lawyers, etc because they all get sucked overseas....and many of them dont come back!.
    Very true. I'm living in Brisbane now, but I'm from Christchurch orginally....

Still, if I want to feel like I'm back in NZ I just need to go down to Sydney for the weekend and hang round in Bondi

BTW I always thought the horizontal expansion of Perth was pretty impressive. I guess it's b/c there's so much room to expand into
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj

A great number of people drive for an hour and a half to get to work in the morning.
    Quite true mmj, I live about 25-30Km from the Melbourne CBD and on some days it could take upto an hour and a half to get to work located in south melbourne.

Now thats not a problem anymore as I am now working from home - It's all good
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason many of them have their mortgages paid off by such an early age (!) is that all the aussies who I know are very wise in investing their money wisely, so it works for them and plan ahead in their finances.

And it's not pommy, the correct spelling is pome. I got asked "Where in England are you from?" by an employment agency worker the other week. They do not search for work for me anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    It's not in the middle of a desert, it's right on the coast actually. But the problem is that arid land is just an hour or two away. That severely limits the amount of horizontal growth available to them...
    Ooo - I know what it looks like now as well - The Matrix was filmed there wasn't it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7

Ooo - I know what it looks like now as well - The Matrix was filmed there wasn't it!

Yes it was and arent us Aussies happy about that

Matrix 2 and 3 will also be partly shot in Sydney.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering why those ex-Home & Away peps were poping up!