SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP/mySQL-based affiliate data feed parsing script?

I posted this in the PHP forum, but it occurred to me that this forum may be more appropriate. I'm looking for a free script that will import a data feed from an affiliate program into a mySQL database and then using PHP parse the data into an online "store" which allows visitors to browse/search by category or brand. I have to imagine there is something like this out there already. Any suggestions?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that you'll find one that would work with just any affliliate, but then again, I've never been an affiliate, so I can't say for sure.

I've done a lot of PHP coding, and if I were trying to do something like this, I would probably first choose the store I wanted to use. There's plenty out there. Afterwards, it would just be a matter of parsing the affiliate catalog and inserting it into the database the way the store likes it. This wouldn't be tough at all to do, depending of course, on how the affiliate programs supplies the data.
    Reduce or eliminate spam on your sites without CAPTHCAs
    - maybe it is possible: http://formantispam.thekerrs.ca/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nos
    I've done a lot of PHP coding, and if I were trying to do something like this, I would probably first choose the store I wanted to use. There's plenty out there. Afterwards, it would just be a matter of parsing the affiliate catalog and inserting it into the database the way the store likes it. This wouldn't be tough at all to do, depending of course, on how the affiliate programs supplies the data.
    I have an affiliate in mind. They provide a feed as a CSV file and it consists of only about 14 fields (product category, item name description, image URL, buy link URL, etc.). It's pretty simple. I would like something flexible enough to be able to add additional vendors if I can. I would standardize on what fields I need. I have a few other vendors in mind that would probably provide a custom feed so once I get a format defined, it should be easy to include them.

My PHP skills are somewhat weak which is why I'm looking for a prebuilt script. I'm okay at modifying existing code to get it to do what I want, but I'm lost when starting from the ground up. If I could find one that basically does what I need I could edit it to put data in the proper fields, tweak the output/formatting, etc.

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've coded my own script. I'd sell it for a 4 figure sum. It was pretty complicated and even now I'm still adding things to it to make it more efficient. Currently the system is handling about 3 million products for about 55 merchant feeds.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $19.99 aspen?

I'd have a go at coding your own. You'll be able to get much more out of it if you can tailor it to you needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AlpineZone,

Not exactly what you asked for but we have the IPC which builds a datafeed based store without any coding in less than 2 minutes. It's only for our clients but you may want to peak at the datafeed link in my sig to see if any of those merchants have the products you want.

If it's for your Alpine or skiing site I have the PERFECT solution. BentGear just launched on Shareasale with the highest commish on backpacks, hiking, skiing, camping and other outdoor gear. They have a feed and Shareasale provides a free tool to parse it, I think. The owner could help you figure it out cuz he's a datafeed programmer. I just wrote a review of the program and you can find the sign-up link on my site.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
    Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant
    Discover High Paying, High Integrity 5 Star Affiliate Programs
    Leading Affiliate Marketing Blog :: Pro Affiliate Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    write it yourself. its really not too hard.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a shareasale script that you could probably use for your purposes. I give it away for free, and I used it as the basis for a script I developed for a client that loads in hundreds of data feeds. The SASS script at least will get you started. You can find it at

pm me and I'll send you the link as I don't think I'm allowed to post links here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! johnnycanuck, PM sent.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this one

http://www.phpmill.com/feedparser/