SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No right click script just quit working . . . .???

Hey Guys,

Something wierd is going on with my no right click code, it doesn't work anymore.

If anyone has a chance to peak at my source code, I'd really appreciate it because I don't see where the code itself changed. (it's doing this on all the pages)

My URL is http://Www.AustinSings.Com

Thanks,
    Rockrz

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me, on all pages.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there must be somthing wrong with my browser (IE 5.5)
    What could that be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be working fine on all pages for me as well. I use IE 6b.

Maybe the code has changed while you were working with it, and now it's reading it from your cache. Perhaps you should try and clear your history?
    - Pip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on IE6 as well.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me, and I'm using IE5.5
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked for me too.

One thing I might recommend, if you really feel that you have to use a no right click script, I would suggest getting rid of the all caps with exclamation points on the error window. If I was a user coming to your site, I would leave as soon as I saw that rude display from you. A simple, "The information on this site is copyright" would suffice. Instead you make it seem like the user did something wrong.

Better yet, and I am sure that many others on the site would back me up, would be to not have the script at all. I am sure there is nothing on your website that is so secret or important that you really need to antagonize your users by using a script. Plus it is a simple matter to get the information anyway. I can think of about 4 different ways that a user could get the content from your site.

just my .02...
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is weird. I tried clearing my cache, to no avail. I guess it's cool if it's working for eveybody else. I just can't understand why it no longer works with my IE 5.5
    I'm not experiencing any problems, so it must be a hickup in my browser somewhere.

As for as making the surfer feel like they did something wrong, they did! If they are right clicking my graphics & saving them to their hard drive, that's wrong.

And by using one of the numerous ways around this to get me graphics is also just as wrong. Just because it can be done, doesn't make it right.

I just keep the code on their because most people don't know how to get around that. It's like having a lock on a door. It ain't really gonna keep anyone out, except for honest people.

I'm really not concerned if someone gets my graphics or not, I just want to make it as hard as possible to get.

Soon I'm going to be producing "watermarks" in my graphics, making them harder to re-use..................

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Rockrz
    As for as making the surfer feel like they did something wrong, they did! If they are right clicking my graphics & saving them to their hard drive, that's wrong.

And by using one of the numerous ways around this to get me graphics is also just as wrong. Just because it can be done, doesn't make it right.

I just keep the code on their because most people don't know how to get around that. It's like having a lock on a door. It ain't really gonna keep anyone out, except for honest people.
    whoa trigger,

the right click menu has a bunch of commands other than saving the graphics that are used a lot by surfers. back, forward, ADD TO FAVORITES, print, refresh, open in new window (used a lot by surfer with slow connections).

now hold onto your hat [flame mode:on]

your script annoys the heck out of me.

anyways what graphic do you think anyone wants to steal? maybe the gaudy flashing enter button? maybe the rotating @ sign? or the cheesy singing guy?

half of the graphics on that site look like you grabbed them from a free image archive.

any person that has any experience with web design at all can find several ways to steal your stuff, its ineffective and insulting.

[flame mode:off]

have a nice day :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right clicking is not wrong though. And you're saying that by right clicking alone they're doing something wrong. Thats not true. The only graphics on your site that seem to be made by you are your logos and such. Who is gonna want to steal those?
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is weird. I tried clearing my cache, to no avail. I guess it's cool if it's working for eveybody else. I just can't understand why it no longer works with my IE 5.5
    I'm not experiencing any problems, so it must be a hickup in my browser somewhere.

I'm really not concerned if someone gets my graphics or not, I just want to make it as hard as possible to get.

Soon I'm going to be producing "watermarks" in my graphics, making them harder to re-use..................
    ooof...

Heaven forbid that anyone right click on YOUR page. How dare they. Let me give you a list of the commands available to me on my right click menu when clicking on a blank section of page:

Back
    Forward
    Save Background as
    Set as Wallpaper
    Copy Background
    Set as Desktop Item
    Select All
    Paste
    Create Shortcut
    Add to Favorites (I won't be using this on your site don't worry)
    View Source
    Encoding
    Print
    Refresh
    Links List
    Images List
    Open Frame in New Window
    Properties

When you implement a "No-Right click script" on your page you are effectively denying your user access to PROGRAM SHORTCUTS, not just "save this image" or "View Source".

Do you really think anyone WANTS to steal the images on your site? Even Tony Stone, Photodisc and other high end stock photography companies don't use these scripts. And those are images that I like!

We're not saying that you shouldn't protect your property, just that there are many more effcient ways to do so. The watermarking method is the best idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me add one more thing. When I first mentioned your script, If you will look, I first suggested modifying it. The language that you use comes across as very antagonistic. You seem to be accusing the user of doing something wrong.

You sound like you are going to keep the script on your site no matter what we say and that of course is up to you. At the very least, change the wording. All you need to put is:

"I'm sorry, but the right click function has been disabled on this site"

or

"The content on this site is copyright blah blah"

That way you get your point across but don't piss of the users, who are going to be your clients.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rockrz.

Haven't looked at the site as you seem to have the issue resolved - but.....

The only people liable to "steal" your graphics will be the people who know how to - who else would wanna "steal" graphics. You'd be surprised how many simpleton surfers know where there cache resides - I can think of several peeps over 60 who have no interest in web development.

It seems to me you are doing yourself more harm than good here:

Pro's:
    Web/IT illiterate people who probably don't want them anyway (regardless of how good they are) will be unable to "steal" them.

Con's:
    You'll alienate people who use right click regularly (I'm one for the "open in new window thing" -I have 7 open at the moment)

It won't actually stop people who want the graphics when working at best

It may actually prevent browsers without JS/ with JS switched off (again - do this regularly) from viewing the page -failing that, in those circumstances it simply won't work

It adds to the size of your page, meaning longer download, more bandwidth and reduced user tolerance

It can easliy be construed as insulting and lose you visitors

It demonstrates insecurity and an ideology that runs contrary to that which has made the web so popular

I am not trying to be harsh - just telling it like it is.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit, I'm one of those who 'dares' to use this 'No Right Click' thing.....but it's limited in it's use and is there for good reason - basically I was asked to!

I have photographs on my website taken by professional photographers, and whilst these guys are aware that there are always ways round this script, one of the conditions of displaying their photos here was that I use it. However, each picture opens in it's own window, with nothing else but the image in it. The only reason for right-clicking here would be to save or print the photo, which is what the photographers don't want. Yes there are ways round it, but it's hoped that the Copyright reminder that's displayed if users do right-click on the image is enough to deter them. If it doesn't, they have no come-back if they steal the images and put them on their own websites and get caught - not by me but by the photographers

In this instance, I feel you're trying to save images that people won't want to steal anyway, and in the process, denying people their navigation rights, which could cost you visitors. What's more important to you?
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No right clicking is very annoying. I also use the open in new window often. If I'm interested in the page I'm on, I use it all the time. It's interesting to me that this site features a directory of sorts. Because you can't copy and paste addresses and other information from your pages. That's really annoying. You're providing people with information, but if they want to jot it down in a word processing program or something of that nature, they're going to have to go back and forth and type it out. I use a similar directory for local clubs which has the same thing - right click disabled. It's mystifying.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer
    Because you can't copy and paste addresses and other information from your pages.
    Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I have to remember that..or write it down. I'm no good with keyboard shortcuts, but that's a good one. thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    psalzer...

CTRL + A selects all (or you can justr drag the are ayou want to copy)
    CTRL + C is copy
    CTRL + V is paste

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, sorry to mad all you guys upset. I'll be leaving now . . . .

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is mad or upset - just sharing opinion - its what the forums are all about

H

(who knows - maybe disabled right clicks will be the next web standard....)
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockrz...

It was never our intention to drive you away from the forums. If it was I would have driven out OriginalH long ago D).

We are just sharing the benefit of our experiences and personal preferences. Every member of the forums is valuable. Don't let something like a little dispute get in the way of the things that you can learn here.