User Tag List

Thread: Good PHP books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good PHP books?

Hello,

I want to buy a book that teaches PHP... I am pretty much a novice here.

Any good books that you recommend? If some mySQL stuff was thrown that would be even better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "PHP and MySQL Web Development" looks like the best so far... should I buy this one?

Basically I like books that teach and give examples in a methodical method. I can't see one idea and then skip step two and undertand tep three. One that goes three and breaks up examples totally would be best for me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best book is

Professional PHP Programming
    ISBN 1861002963

I had no PHP experience before i read this book.
    It has useful examples.

It starts off very easy and takes you to a very advanced level.

Just one word of warning ... you should have a little programming knowledge (even BASIC would do).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also trying to decide which PHP book is the best to buy for a newbie so any comments greatly appreciated
    <help>StIcKs</help>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Paul M's recommendation of Professional PHP Programming. I read it in a few days and immediately programmed a DB app...it uses examples and common sense to teach you PHP, and that is something almost unheard of in the computer book industry.

Five stars from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found some good information in Core PHP Programming by Leon Atkinson. I've had this book for about 2 months now. Prior to this book, I had little/no experience in PHP.

Just today I got these two:

PHP and MySQL Web Development - Welling & Thomson
    -- This seems to be easy to understand and looks like it will be helpful, but I only received it today, so I can't say with much certainty yet. It does appear that it gives good explanations of what each function does, however I agree with Paul because with this book some previous programming knowledge appears to be helpful (my experience is in BASIC and C++).

PHP Developer's Cookbook - Sterling Hughes
    -- Again, I've only read part of this since receiving it this morning. But this seems helpful because it gives "real" problems, followed by the solutions, and then after that a discussion/explanation of why the solution was what it was. This book seems to write out the full code of many things for you which may help those less experienced understand the language and syntax.

I'm always open for new books too, so I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a novice, I'd recommend "PHP Essentials" by Meloni.

I had 0 knowledge of PHP and mySQL before reading that book and with it and some help from the nice people in this forum I managed to whip up a few databased dynamic pages with content management.

It's not advanced in any regard - when you want to get really serious about PHP, then go for one of the other books. (I'm personally waiting for Professional PHP4 Programming which should be out in July.) But for a first book, PHP Essentials, IMHO, is great.
    Last edited by Jujubee; Jun 21, 2001 at 22:50.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try running a search in the forums for "PHP Books" and you'll find several threads about popular and recommended books. This topic comes up about once a week.

When I first started learning PHP everyone recommended buying "PHP Essentials" and said it was great. I read it and hated it. I found quite a few errors in it, which really bothered me because this book was designed for beginners. Had I not have previous programming experience I would have become very frustrated very quickly typing in misspelled function names.

Also, for a a nice PHP book listing, check out:
    http://www.php.net/books.php?type=English
    or run a search at Amazon.com

And don't forget online tutorials. Although they don't teach all aspects, they're great tools for "putting the pieces together". Try:
    http://devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/
    melonfire writes great tutorials, as do the other authors.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RKuhle
    When I first started learning PHP everyone recommended buying "PHP Essentials" and said it was great. I read it and hated it. I found quite a few errors in it, which really bothered me because this book was designed for beginners. Had I not have previous programming experience I would have become very frustrated very quickly typing in misspelled function names.
    I got this book in January, and the first thing I did was go to their site and find the errata. I fixed all the errors, then started reading it. (as I do with all technical books)

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... that's a pretty good idea, never thought of it. But after spending $30 on a book, I don't think it's too much to expect that the book be read several times by both the author and editor. Especially the technical content of the book, as this is a technical related topic.

I sure hope medical books do a better job at editing.

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent read PHP Essentials, but I have read Professional PHP Programming and it is a very good reference and advanced techniques book to learn from if you want to really get serious with PHP.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have read 'Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24hours', 'Beginning PHP4 from wrox', 'Professional PHP from wrox', 'PHP4 Bible from idgbooks' and I can say each have their good points. 'Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24hours' is quite simple to understand and is my first book, but it doesn't really cover much aspects, since it doesn't really explain everything in detail.

'Beginning PHP4 from wrox' is good, same as their professional PHP. All I can say is there are some things that are unique in each book.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a new edition of Professional PHP coming out soon, maybe called Professional PHP4? I thought I saw something about this, but haven't been able to find any listings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RKuhle
    Is there a new edition of Professional PHP coming out soon, maybe called Professional PHP4?
    I've heard there is one coming out in July or August.
    Mark Wright
    Wrightsites.com - Better Hosting. Better Price.