SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An LCD monitor is now the time??

Hello,

Everyone knows LCD prices are falling and according to PC WORLD magazine July 2001 now is the time to buy... prices are as low as they are going to go for now.

I'm thinking about getting the NEC-Mitsubishi 18 inch Multi-Sync LCD1800 for $1,149.

Is this a good deal? PC WORLD thinks its a no brainer but I want to be sure I'm getting the quality. Does any SitePoint'er use the NEC-Mitsubishi 18 inch Multi-Sync LCD1800 and how is it working? I want to be sure that for about $1,000 this will be the best 18 inch LCD to get. Does anyone know any better LCD 18 inchers at about $1,000 that are better?

I can't find the specs on the net so I'm hopeing someone has them... ecost.com didn't have this monitor, but I'm sure its out.

Anyway I think I'll jump on this great deal!

I've already read all the past 'LCD vs regular monitor' threads so please don't refer me to those as I am looking for current info.

Thanks and I hope this is as good of a deal as it sounds

- Luke

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you buy an LCD monitor or not depends on your needs and wants. Do you need space? Do you want to have an impressive screen? If so, an LCD monitor is for you.

On the other hand, do you want a large monitor that is affordable? Do you want clear text? Do you want to be able to choose resolutions and not worry about blurring or low image quality? Do you want sharp text? If so, a CRT is for you.

As you can probably tell, I am a CRT fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much worse does an LCD make the clearity? I would really like good clearity but if it is a small difference then no big deal. And as for res. I am on and always on 1024 x 768 and I want room (dorm room )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by luchazard
    How much worse does an LCD make the clearity?
    The LCD display actually has better clarity (sharpness) than CRT. However, an LCD monitor is only capable of running at a single resolution.

If you intend to always run at 1024x768, and you have a lot of extra money to spend on LCD, then go for it.

The downsides to LCD are
    - Only runs at one resolution.
    - The pixels remain hot for a while, leaving a trail which is not good for games or video (this is improving over time).
    - Much more expensive.
    - Smaller screen size and resolution.
    - Contrast range isn't good (also improving).
    - Viewing angle isn't good (much improved since the original passive displays, but still an issue).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have to see it yourself. CRTs vary in clarity quite a bit compared to LCD monitors. LCDs are fine at 1024x768 but you should realize there is no good alternative - you'll have to play all your games at that resolution if you want them to look sharp too.

1024x768 is pretty good in clarity. But try playing your games and you'll notice it seems like there is a blur effect...not good for fast games like Quake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 15" NEC LCD monitor and it's great for text and graphic design, especially under XP with MS ClearType.

As previously stated though, they are not currently suited for playing games and you are pretty much limited to the monitors set resolution.

Overall if you primarily use your pc for business use without playing games and plan on upgrading to Win XP (not sure if MS has made Cleartype available for other platforms) on it I'd go with an LCD screen, but for game playing stick with a CRT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke...

Why the hell would you want to spend $1200 on an 18" monitor when you can get a 21" monitor for around $600-$700. That is just silly, especially when you add in the downsides that others have just listed.

Go with the 21" monitor and buy yourself a Ge Force 3 with the difference.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Luke...

Why the hell would you want to spend $1200 on an 18" monitor when you can get a 21" monitor for around $600-$700. That is just silly, especially when you add in the downsides that others have just listed.

Go with the 21" monitor and buy yourself a Ge Force 3 with the difference.

rock on brother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 18" NEC monitor you mentioned and I love it.

Everyone who comes in my office wants one.

If you are buying for the "cool factor," it's way cool.

If you think that LCD monitors have quality problems, keep in mind that Apple Computer - the company who sells into the graphics and publishing market first - has just dropped all CRTs from their product line and gone to LCDs.

My LCD screen is bright, clear, and has wonderful colors. I'm not a graphics artist, but it's color matching is certainly equal to my ability to tell the difference.

If you are buying purely on price, wait. They will be cheaper and cheaper as time goes on - just like everything else in this space.

New manufacturing technologies on the horizon will bring larger and cheaper displays every year for the foreseeable future. "Paint on" flat panel technology is only a few years away, and this will enable entire wall displays at the cost of some expensive paint and a custom applicator...

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by thewitt
    I have one word for you... deskspace
    Last edited by luchazard; Jun 22, 2001 at 08:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 18" NEC monitor you mentioned and I love it.
    AWSOME! I'm so glad you posted this now I won't have any regrets when I go to LCD.

Where did you buy this though? I looked at ecost.com and couldn't find it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one word for you... deskspace
    OK, let's see here...

$1200 for an 18" LCD monitor
    $550 for a KDS Visual Sensations monitor

difference of $650

New Desk (or additional workspace)
    $200-$400

difference?
    $250

case of beer?
    $24

5 large bags of Dorito Chips?
    $18

One copy of Quake 3?
    $35

difference?
    $173

Not only do you have a new 21" monitor that is 15% larger than the 18", you have more deskspace to account for the new monitor and you have something to drink, something to eat, a game to play and you still have $173 in your pocket. I'm not saying that an LCD monitor is a bad idea at all. I just question it's cost effectiveness.

Thewitt, I know Apple dropped all their CRT monitors, but that's not a very good argument as the prices on their LCD monitors are extremely prohibitive for all but the Rockefellers or Carnegies.

Their current prices put a same-size screen display at nearly 5 times the cost of a similar sized CRT monitor.

Apple Cinema Display (22" flat panel) - $2,499.00
    Two 21" monitors? $1300

Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel) - $999.00
    Sony 17" Flatscreen CRT - $200-$300

Apple Studio Display (15" flat panel) - $599.00
    Sony 15" flatscreen CRT - $150

I realize that two 21" monitors are no comparison to one screen, but Good God man...$2500 for a MONITOR? Apple has always been overpriced but let's be real.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Apple Cinema Display monitor absolutely rocks!

It's going on my next purchase for my office at home - a dual 750mhz G4 running OS X (coming in September).

It's never been about price for me - only performance and style.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thewitt, where did you buy the NEC 18 inch LCD you have now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thewitt, where did you buy the NEC 18 inch LCD you have now?
    I'm fairly sure it came from CDW, but I'll have to check with my admin to be certain.

-t

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Apple Cinema Display monitor absolutely rocks!
    Agreed. I was using a G4 yesterday with a flatscreen running OS X. I had used OS X before, and I had used Apple's flatscreens before, but I must say that I was very impressed with this system. It was pretty fast and OS X is very nice looking. If I had the money I would be tempted to buy a G4 as an additional computer.

Back to the debate, as creole pointed out, you could have a CRT, new desk, case of beer, 5 large bags of Doritos, Quake 3, plus about $170 to spare. What should you spend it on? You could probably spend it on making everything look nice. Maybe a paint job or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for the CRT - in the UK, an 18" Flat TFT screen will set ya back about 1500 GBP - an equivilant CRT 200 - 300 GBP

thats one hell of a difference - especially if ya gonna buy it just cos it saves deskspace.

I disagree with the comments about TFT's being clear and crisp - I'm sorry, but the selection that PC-World @ Valley Centertainment in SHeffield had were truely Awful, with a capital A - Even the Sony TFT was no-where near the quality of their CRT.

Also had a look at the Apple machines they had on display - that G4 Cube is god damn ugly - along with the Imacs as well (shame they chose the same name as waxing cream eh? )

I didnt like the Apple Screen's one bit - the dropping of apple crts, is that a worldwide thing? as PCW were still selling em with crts.

Although I have to say, the apple TFT's are way overpriced! 2000 for a TFT that say, sony will sell for 1200?!

Apples will only be popular where they are currently used, and the "only" thing they are good for - Graphic Design, and Printers - although PC's (including linux et al, not just windows) can do graphic design and anything that a mac can do, if not better.

PC world was full of PC's, yet only 2 macs, and 1 Imac

but back to the topic, for the time being, i think a CRT is the best option - deskpace should only come into it *if* you havent room for a CRT IMHO

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I read somewhere that an LCD monitor uses a lot less energy than a CRT. If you were to run your monitor 24/7 without power saving mode, you will have paid off the difference of your monitor (for instance a 17" flatscreen compared to a 17" CRT) an 14 months. This doesn't include air conditioning costs. If you leave your monitor on for a long time you'll notice a bit of heat coming out of the top. Not so with an LCD monitor.

Now, if you are in college and electricity and temperature don't matter to you, everything else that I have mentioned in this thread applies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monitors do not get *that* hot, and belive it or not, LCD TFT's *do* get hot.

I'd rather open the window to cool off, and with the amount I have to pay for electricity (Yorkshire Electric) I wouldnt save anything. Infact, I would pay less with an LCD, but LCD's arent up to the the standard of CRT's *yet* - they will be soon, but not yet.

Air con in the UK? *you* are kidding right? The heat from my monitor in the winter (sometimes summer too! ) adds to keeping me warm LOL

I'd still prefer a CRT over a LCD, Quality of image (screen wise) is more important to me than if it looks pretty - like creole said - get a bigger desk with a crt if you need more room - the only exception I'd make would be if your office is too small for a bigger desk, or that you dont need clear and crisp display - LCD/TFTs are not, they are still blurred (may not apply to *all* brands) in thier native res - the only exception to that I've seen is the Eizo FlexScan 18" which happens to be excellent, but still isnt as clear as my Eizo 17" CRT.

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans