User Tag List

Thread: toxic sites

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toxic sites

You are probably all aware of a site concept that offers no real info, only some search results that are probably grabbed from google, instead it contains optimized targeted pages for keywords that are built based on referer keywords that a pages gets.

For example: toxicmold.ca - this site presents itself as a search engine and builds pages depending on what referers it gets. I noticed this site some months ago when they were in top10 for a large of stock market/investing searches.

Now I see they look banned from google and their Alexa reach chart looks this took place around 20 april this year since they have almost dropped to 0.

Do you know any similar sites? How profitable you think this type of sites are?
    I am very tempted to start such a site, but I am woried why they got banned, if it is for the way they generate pages or for the way they optimized.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to shoot every person who creates one of those sites but that is off-topic.

It's a throw-away site, you create one, it gets traffic (or doesn't), gets banned and you just pop it back up on a new domain.

Black hat SEO at its worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also known as scraper directories. Usually prebuilt, and often scrape content from the top SERPs for each term. If you are ranked well for money terms, you'll often find these sites linking to you...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it all comes down to if its worth your time or not

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time would that be?

99% of these are generated automatically via software, click a button and you've got one of these ready to go.

Make and launch a thousand of them in one day, not a problem. Unless of course you're an actual internet user.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that anybody having this software would sell it, unless he does not make too much money from using it ...

Anyway, I really hate those kind of sites, would only do it if I'd know I'd get rich from it.