SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free vs paid directories, how effective

I have a PR3 site that I would like to do some off page optimization for in order to improve my SE results.

First, how effective are directory listings in increasing PR and improving search engine ranking?

Why would one choose to list in a paid directory vs a free directory?

Is it because sometimes they have a higher PR? Is it worth paying for listing in a paid directory? Or could one gain the same benefit by listing in a number of free directories?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    paid directories are not any worth unless they bring traffic also. there are plenty of free directory much better that paid one probably for any topic. that is because when somebody thought to start a paid directory in a domain, somebody else already did it for free.

PR is not relevant for achieving high rankings, other issues are relevant, like number of backlinks and content of pages that link to you.

anyway, why don't you ask us which paid directory you are interesed in and I am sure I can give you some sample of similar directory that you can submit for free

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overload
    paid directories are not any worth unless they bring traffic also. there are plenty of free directory much better that paid one probably for any topic. .............
    ....anyway, why don't you ask us which paid directory you are interesed in and I am sure I can give you some sample of similar directory that you can submit for free
    OK. So, the reason to pay for a paid directory is because supposedly in addition to helping you with your rankings, they also send their own traffic?

I have a couple of sites that I am trying to optimize. One is a niche dating site (PR3) and the other one is a travel site which I just launched (PR0).

I am not interested in a paid directory actually. I have just started submitting to some free directories, but I saw the paid directories and started to wonder if I was missing something.

If I understand correctly, directories DO help with my backlink campaign, even though they are not content pages?

Anyway, if you have any recommendations for free directories for dating or travel sites, it would be much appreciated. Free, as in really free, not link exchanges or requiring reciprocal links etc.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If PR is what you want, paid directories can be a good option, instead of paying for link ads every month. Paid dirs usually spend more on advertising which raises PR and traffic sent. There's something nice about getting an on-topic link with your anchor text from a directory page with some decent PR.

Any link that gets indexed by the search engines (free of nofollow tags) will help with your backlinks, which helps your link popularity.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermit
    If PR is what you want, paid directories can be a good option, instead of paying for link ads every month. Paid dirs usually spend more on advertising which raises PR and traffic sent. There's something nice about getting an on-topic link with your anchor text from a directory page with some decent PR.

Any link that gets indexed by the search engines (free of nofollow tags) will help with your backlinks, which helps your link popularity.
    But, I have seen PR6 free directories and PR6 paid directories. So why would I pay for listing in a PR6 paid directory?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are free directories that have the target market, certainly do them. For paid directories, it is a trade off of cost vs. benefit. I provide www.BowenDirectory.com for Bowen Therapy Technique practitioners and instructors with a minumal annual $20 fee. Much of the annual fee goes to fund advertising to attract clients for the directory members. What makes the paid directory approach pay off is a reasonable price and a very tightly focused target market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into a free PR7 link the other day, and I didn't complain about not having to pay, so if you find something good, go for it.

Taking your PR6 directory example, the free one would probably fill up faster and thus the PR would be spread over many more links, making each site get a smaller PR slice more quickly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I found a pr7 directory for $180/ 3months??

Hi everybody. I have to questions releted to this topic.
    I found a pr7 directory for $180/ 3months, from their homepage. I have a brand new site and I would like to know if I should buy it .

O , by the way,some interesting or may be strange thing happened to me with two other directories. I was browsing between the categories and found two relevant ones to my site. Both page had pr4 but on one there were 4 links already so i decided to list it to the other category, where the page did not contain any links. I listed my site and interestingly found out that the page that had pr4 before now has only pr0???

Whats wrong?? Why the page rank just dropped? Should I list it to the other category even if there were other links?