SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differentiating text in a textarea?

I have a textarea where I have alot of name seperated by commas with no spaces, in a manner similar to this:

name1,name2,name3,name4,name5,name6,name7,name8,name9
    etc.

Because the names are so close to eachother with no spaces, it is often hard to find a name or distinquish one from the other.

So, I was wondering it it was possible to make the text look different? For example, havethe commas a different color, such as red? Or to have the commas in a much larger font?
    Or to have every other name in bold?

The name's list is pulled from a db and I cannot modify the db, the list must stay the same. So, I was wondering if there's a way to do it using css?

I have posted about this in the CSS forum but they say CSS can't do the job so I'm hoping javascript can help me. Here's the thread in CSS forum - http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264432

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's impossible to apply text formatting to segments of text in textareas. Your best bet is to take the data from the textarea, copy it to a div in whatever format and style you want, and hide the textarea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would, however, be possible to introduce spaces after the commas using JavaScript.