User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transferring files

Hello all,
    I'm hoping for some help. I have some experience with html, but not much - and I have a website I use to promote my books (www.desertdancing.com).

I'd like to allow visitors to download an e-book. I have no idea how to set this up. What is the syntax I should use to make this happen?

The e-books would be either rocket or pdf files.

Thanks very much in advance!!

Len Wilcox

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what a rocket file is, but you can probably let users download it in the same manner as a PDF file.

Depending on the browser your vsitor uses, he/she may be able to open the PDF file from within their browser. I know IE 5.0 and up supports this, and Netscape as well I believe.

All that is needed is a simple <a> tag referencing your file. The same is true for any sort of file, be it a ZIP, doc, exe, or whatever. Keep in mind that your visitors browsers may do strange things when you link to certain file types. For example, some browsers will open a .doc within the browser itself.

The code you will use will be in the format of
    Code:
    <a href="http://yoursite.com/path/to/file/to/be/downloaded.pdf">Text to be linked</a>
    You can assign other attributes as needed, such as target="new".

If you want your visitors to save the PDF files to their hard drive, instruct them to right-click the link and choose the "Save" command (which is different on different browsers).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! Amazingly simple. Great! I was making it far too complicated.

Thanks!

Len Wilcox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Rocket makes you go through them to download files to prevent piracy. Maybe not, but...
    Kevin