SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commission Junction Frustration

I use CJ as a backup while most of my pages use Adsense. I find it incredibly frustrating to keep getting my program applications rejected without any reason given. I understand that they don't have to tell me why I was rejected, but I honestly believe I have a high-quality site with good traffic and a very well-targetted audience. The ads that I do display perform well. I can't think of any reason for being rejected. How on Earth am I supposed to know what I'm doing wrong if I never get any feedback about why I'm not wanted?

This week I was "expired" by one particular advertiser with no reason given. I re-applied to the program and was rejected. Why? Dammit, I was selling their product for them and we should all have been happy. Their program is still going, just without me and I don't know why.

I tried to express my frustration to CJ but I couldn't find any form to send them feedback. Perhaps they just don't think feedback is a good idea.

Anyway, this seems like a sensible idea: When CJ advertisers send their standard "Sorry, declined" message, they could have a list of optional standard reasons from which they could select the appropriate ones. That way publishers would at least have something to go on to try and improve their performance.

In the meantime, for all I know I'm doing something basic that's keeping me from getting accepted but I'll never know.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sad to hear that, that's what I don't understand either, when someone declines you(any ad network that I had dealed with) they don't say the reason, I have to email again to ask why and then MAYBE they will tell you, otherwise they just say declined or against TOS(what particularly is wrong maybe I can fix it?). Forget about them and move somewhere else, have you tried TradeDoubler, Linkshare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dave that sucks. You have made a really good suggestion though, for managers to have a number of fields they can select from for a reason for expiring or declining.
    Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant
    Discover High Paying, High Integrity 5 Star Affiliate Programs
    Leading Affiliate Marketing Blog :: Pro Affiliate Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the advertisers should provide some feedback. If you want to ask them why you were rejected I think you can do so through the "Mail" tab of your CJ publishers area.

If you want to contact Commission Junction support, just use the "Contact Us" link in the publishers area. I'm not sure they will help you in this situation, but it's good to know for future reference.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only suggestion is to make sure your account & website information are up to date in your cj.com account. I don't think I've ever had a reason to go back and look at those since joining, and can see how some people might not have a current URL/description listed when a merchant reviews the potential affiliate.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more sites you have, the more you'll get accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no longer a CJ affiliate. Won't be in the near time either. Got tired of merchants expiring all of a sudden and from my account being deactivated for no reason. Shareasale is so much better, and there's always good old Amazon.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ is now my third largest earner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the program too for 1.5 years. What I don't like is the fact that they only pay on a CPA basis, but anyway, that's not the issue right now.

Regarding the declines, I think the advertisers have to choose upfront which category websites they want to accept from publishers and which one they don't.
    I.e. if the advertiser checks the box to not accept publishers in the Home/Gardening section than it will automatically reject those applications.

The only thing you can do about it is to contact the email address from the advertiser directly to see if they are interested in your wesbsite. (and hopefully they will reply to that...)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as opposed to what? Making $20/lead is great.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been with cj.com for many years. They have a ton of great affiliate programs there, all under one roof.

Off Topic:

Commission Junction wooden train whistle
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; May 20, 2005 at 09:13.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. The only other affiliate I have (apart from Adsense) is Amazon. I like CJ because they have some great advertisers for my audience and Amazon doesn't have anything which works as well as the smartzone thing.

The declined applications I'm worried about are the manual ones. Obviously someone has made the effort to review my site and decided it's not worthy, I just can't imagine why. What really hurt is the one which initially accepted me and everything went well for months, then they suddenly and inexplicably expired me. Why would they do this and refuse to reinstate me when I'm making them money?

I thought one possibility was that I don't have a huge number of impressions (because most of my site uses Adsense) so maybe they think I'm too small. But I'm not going to dump Adsense just to find out - even if I did this for a couple of months it would cost way too much. In any case, why would it matter that I don't send them a lot of referrals?

Very, very frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Been with cj.com for many years. They have a ton of great affiliate programs there, all under one root.

Off Topic:

Exactly I just wish they wouldn't "close" your account for non-activity while you are actively promoting their offers on sites you are developing... Oh-well just opened another account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Been with cj.com for many years. They have a ton of great affiliate programs there, all under one root.

Off Topic:

I got one of those too ...about 4 years ago. I still keep it, I don't know why