SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"www" re-visited

Okay, I was real careful to include "www." in any references to my website (both external and internal). For internal, I pretty much use relative addresses anyway.

Well, Google has picked me up without the "www." for my pages. Odd thing is, I have PR for the "www." version and only the main page is listed. For the non-www pages, the main page has no PR but has quite a few pages for it in the SERPs.

How did this happen? Someone link to me without the "www." and that is where Google started crawling me from?

I know it is not a biggie (just 301 re-direct it), but I was just wondering one thing now...

I like the look of "www." but without it it is a bit easier to type in but it just looks odd. I saw many a post about having/not having "www." and in many of them, the people were re-directing their "www." to the non-www version. Any reason for this other than preference?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I just like www, and also many will assume a "www" when linking to you, so I just go with the flow on that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardcore SEO theorists will tell you that having the "www" in your URL lowers the keyword density of the URL.

I agree with Thermit and believe that the "www" is so ingrained in the public's head that the added marketability and brandability of the "www" URL is far superior to any search engine benefit, real or theoretical.

As for your situation, it is entirely possible someone linked to you without the "www". If it's a worry for you, you can perhaps browse through your backlinks (assuming the culprit would show up) to find out who it was.

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the "www" too (but I have been called anal ).

I just 301'd them over so I am not worrying.

That theory about KW density is interesting but I think the "www" looks more natural in the SERPs. When I see a site without the "www" it just looks out-of-place in the SERPs.