User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    [...] the other monitor will be hooked-up to a surveillance camera system to keep on eye on our acreage, and kids playing in the yard. Until we get the surveillance system set-up, I plan on using both monitors for production.[...]
    What surveillance system/cameras will you be using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like dual screen since I can game on one and have mIRC open on another
    My links: [ Blog ] - [ deviantArt ]

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's funny is my friend just bought 3 new monitors to arrange like some of you described, but he doesn't even know what the e in e-mail means. I mean that's how clueless the guy is. He wants to start working from home like many of us do, but literally, just bought his first domain name.

I think some folks buy things, tools for instance, because it makes them feel more productive to have the 'right' tools for the job. Even if they have no job so to speak.

But to the guys here that prefer extra monitors, I completely understand that choice. It's just a matter of comfort really.

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonriver
    I think probably 90% of the "benefit" of dual monitors can be achieved by using a desktop switcher like is common in *nix
    Interesting this should come up, I really like the desktop switcher in GNOME. It's quite a standard feature across many of the window managers for Linux like KDE, Fluxbox etc.

However it is only so good up to the point of organising windows, like I would have the GIMP (all those dialogs) running on one "desktop" while a browser open in another, and a BASH window in the other.

I can see how much more productive someone would be running 'live' programs like chat and stock market tickers with 2 or more monitors. I've only just moved to 1024*768 and am finding the extra screen space great, I can only wonder what two or more monitors would be like, I would definitely say it would be something to aim for, but only with good reason, like as Horowitz pointed out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what I do (programming/sysadmin), once you go dual, you don't go back. Got dual 17" LCD's at home and I run my powerbook dualhead'd while at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's how i do things:

all my stuff is networked at home with my laptop and my PC sitting 90% to eaach other on different tables, so when working [web designing] at home...I mostly use the windows PC to test websites. http://192.168.1.100/ works great for me

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally prefer the Dual Monitors because of the fact that I can browse sitepoint on one, and do my work on the other one

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the idea of dual monitors, it is very diferent of mutiple virtual desktops altogether. Its one thing to move your eyes a little bit to the left or lean a little bit backwards and see both and another thing to constantly hit the hotkeys to change them. If enough power is available, the combination of both dual monitors and multiple virtual desktops is a killer. Code in one monitor, have the page auto-refresh itself 30 seconds apart (for instance) and set the desktops to rotate every 10 seconds to 3 different resolutions [i guess it's a little far-fetched in some ways but the main idea stands].

on a side-not, windows xp has a native ability for 4 virtual desktops, with no other software needed. just download the powertoys for windows xp from microsoft site (do a search to find them with "download powertoys windows xp" and you can't miss). sorry for the offtopic, but i wanted to make this clear, not everyone is aware of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatly I have no room for two monitors, but was nice as i did. I have PowerToys as well as TweakNow's ability for virtual desktops, but care for niether so went with another third party... virtual is better than nothing *grin*
    Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle Lamson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dual monitors and recommend it thoroughly. I'd definitely prefer it to one big monitor.
    Both monitors are VGA, one connects with a DVI to VGA converter and they look fine.
    mikehealy.com.au
    diigital.com art, design . Latest WorkSaturday Morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about getting a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen DVI LCD

Right now it's only $397
    $749 + $1 padding - 35% off S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL - $90 79VT3767HP833W = $397

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 17" Compaq CRT monitors on my XP computer and a 21" CRT on my Powermac and I love to use both. But switching to dual screen is the best decission I ever made. I still use my widescreen HP laptop for coding, but as far as Photoshop concerns I'd say I prefer my dual screen system.
    ThaVincy | redesigning your image
    Twizted Imagebuilding personal and corporate reputation solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly Recommend duals!

Build on one side, refresh the browser on another. It's a bit annoying when the monitors aren't exactly the same though.

But you do get twice the radiation.

This should be a poll.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a web developer and dual monitors is the way to go. I have a 30" at work and hate it (OK don't like it as well). If you blow some sites up to full screen they look stupid. It is just nice to hit the size to monitor button and see what the rest of the world is seeing. I have dual 17" at home and think it is a much better way to go. I am thinking of adding a 3rd for home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2005FPW is AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by waazzuup
    I've been thinking about getting a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen DVI LCD

Right now it's only $397
    $749 + $1 padding - 35% off S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL - $90 79VT3767HP833W = $397
    stop thinking... GET IT! I love mine, I like coding on it. Its BRIGHT! really really bright. built-in usb, is helpful, and the split screen feature is cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work with dual monitor, couldn't work without it, left screen for all me toolz and right screen just to do all the pleasant coding/designing :-)
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual screens get my vote. One of my buddys has his pc set up that way. It makes some many things easier to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Eizo 17" LCDs, one landscape, one portrait.
    http://www.eizo.com.au/products/lcd/l568/index.asp

Landscape is for regular work, portrait is where my browser sits. It's great having websites thin and long, much like reading a newspaper. It's how websites should be read.

Only concern I have is that I have to turn my head to one side. Ergonomically, it's not that great. I'm sure if you did this long enough, you'd have neck or shoulder strain.

I'm going to try a widescreen sometime, reluctantly.

PS. I'm a web developer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this thread, I decided to go the dual route as well.. The setup as you see isn't perfect, but it's a good start. My new video card to support this should be here in a few days. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redundancy and Testing

• Two monitors provide redundancy. One breaks the other still running.
    • Having an LCD and CRT will let you test results better. Sometimes the colours look different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual is fine, but what about 3...

Humbly honest, i can't remember the last time working on but one monitor.
    I'm currently working with a couple of viewsonics, and e90 and an e70.

I guess i've answered the original query with that response.

But now, an additional question (unless i missed it posted in this thread already):

Is anyone using 3 monitors? I'd love to, as i currently us one for workspace, the second for both email/chats/pallettes. At times though, as i'm using both iChat and msnMessenger, i miss timely questions from people in other offices due to window propogation.

i really feel that getting a third monitor would be the solution, if even but a 15 incher.

anyone using three at present? set-up? cards?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had dual 17's for four years now. Very happy with the set up. Sometimes the space between the monitors is an irritation but I usually don't notice it and it beats flipping between windows.

With your budget - how about 3 17's? Now that would be cool.

I wish Dreamweaver had better support for a dual setup. Otherwise most of my tools work very well. Dreamweaver works fine - I code in one screen and have all the tools open in the other. But there could be more flexibility built in.

Cheers
    Peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can put 3 Monitors with with the ATI RADEON 9000 cards.
    Check here for more info http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon...ws/3mon_rad9k/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Dual monitors. 2 19" Samsungs. I think it comes down to the Inches... if you are going to get a 42" LCD then I would say thats the best.... but who does that...?

Go Dual. IMO
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always personally prefered a single monitor... but now with all the graphics stuff Im doing it could be helpfull... so yeah I dont know.