SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual monitors on separate video cards is how I like it. I run a dual LCDs at my office (19" Sceptre and a 17" Hyundai) with 2 nVidia cards, and dual CRTs at home (19" Cybervision and 17 inch AOC) with an ATI Radeon 7500 All-in-wonder and an nVidia GeForce 440.

The company I used to work for got me hooked on the duals - editing graphics in Photoshop with all the tools on the right monitor and the workspace on the left was hard to resist. Also did a lot of Access work - could open 2 instances of Access at once, and copy and paste between them. Or open up a wide Excel file across 2 screens - no horizontal scrolling.

Two monitors at different resolutions also helps when checking a website layout, or you can open the same site simultaneously in Firefox and IE to see differences. But as mentioned by others, for web development it is really great to have your code on one screen and view the results on another.

Anyone who doubts the productivity increase realized by using dual monitors is a fool. No, dual monitors are not necessary, but they are definitely more efficient.
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
    Retirement Communities and Senior Housing Options
    Freecycle.org

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toograffic
    Anyone who doubts the productivity increase realized by using dual monitors is a fool. No, dual monitors are not necessary, but they are definitely more efficient.
    A fool? LOL, whatever dude. Why don't you get nine monitors so you can be NINE TIMES more efficient? Don't be a fool - go buy them now.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think probably 90% of the "benefit" of dual monitors can be achieved by using a desktop switcher like is common in *nix (I've never seen one for Windows). I had up to nine different desktops I switched between - you could even leave the cursor in another window in a hidden desktop while looking at another desktop.

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all come down to the biggest resolution where you can still read the text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonriver
    A fool? LOL, whatever dude. Why don't you get nine monitors so you can be NINE TIMES more efficient? Don't be a fool - go buy them now.
    There is, of course, a point reached where more space would become superfluous - a "point of diminishing return". Any reasonable person would understand that, and not need to have it pointed out to them. And of course, that point would vary from person to person, task to task. I could easily find a use for 3 monitors, and as soon as I have the desk space I will. But any more than 3 monitors my neck would be strained because I could no longer view the combined desktop without turning my head (bad neck vertebrae).

If I was building a computer based entertainment system, I could easily run up to nine monitors from one Windows box (would need a mobo with at least 4 PCI and one AGP) and have one of those 3x3 display setups that switched from individual videos to one huge one. It would not be an example of efficiency, just an example of "hey, look what I can do!".
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
    Retirement Communities and Senior Housing Options
    Freecycle.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual Monitors

Dual Monitors = Dual Desktops = Awsome!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty ironic that all you people are so concerned about efficiency, yet you continue to use a single QWERTY keyboard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone should calm down

It's all up to personal preference. I'm sure there is people out there who love using just one monitor, and can get their work done quickly and efficiently because they have constructed their own way of doing things.

There is also people out there who couldn't live with anything less than two monitors. They're in the same boat; they've also constructed their own way of doing things using the two monitors.

So what’s to say that by using three monitors it will be more efficient than using two? Or if using four monitors will more efficient than using three? Absolutely nothing, because it's not true.

I think everyone should stop listening to what others use, and actually try it for yourself. If you love having just one, then keep it. If you loving having two then keep them, it's up to you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr
    So what’s to say that by using three monitors it will be more efficient than using two? Or if using four monitors will more efficient than using three? Absolutely nothing, because it's not true.
    Tell that to an air traffic controller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell that to an air traffic controller.
    That’s an obvious troll. We're talking about in an IT/Web situation.

The point I was trying to make was, it doesn't matter how many monitors you have, all that matters is that you're happy with what you are using.

If you have two monitors, and absolutely hate it, but the only reason you're using it is because people say it’s more efficient, then don't use two.

It's simple, use what you want to use.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s an obvious troll. We're talking about in an IT/Web situation.

The point I was trying to make was, it doesn't matter how many monitors you have, all that matters is that you're happy with what you are using.

If you have two monitors, and absolutely hate it, but the only reason you're using it is because people say it’s more efficient, then don't use two.

It's simple, use what you want to use.
    Troll? You're being clueless - air traffic control systems AREN'T I.T.? Tell THAT to them too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troll? You're being clueless - air traffic control systems AREN'T I.T.? Tell THAT to them too.
    I'm struggling to see what your point has been throughout this whole thread. All you have been doing is picking at everyone’s post, and replying with a negative comment which you think will enhance your e-thug meter.

The thread topic is - Dual Monitors v. 1 Large Monitor for "Increased Productivity"?, on a Web Development/Design forum.

Instead of bringing this thread even more off topic, why don't you tell us what you think about using dual monitors in a web development and design situation to enhance your productivity?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm struggling to see what your point has been throughout this whole thread. All you have been doing is picking at everyone’s post, and replying with a negative comment which you think will enhance your e-thug meter.

The thread topic is - Dual Monitors v. 1 Large Monitor for "Increased Productivity"?, on a Web Development/Design forum.

Instead of bringing this thread even more off topic, why don't you tell us what you think about using dual monitors in a web development and design situation to enhance your productivity?
    So you're just going to tap dance and pretend that you didn't say there's absolutely no benefit to having more than two monitors? I just presented a rather large group of IT users who would beg to differ. Rather than admitting your erroneous statement, you try to attack me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're just going to tap dance and pretend that you didn't say there's absolutely no benefit to having more than two monitors? I just presented a rather large group of IT users who would beg to differ. Rather than admitting your erroneous statement, you try to attack me.
    All I've been saying is that people can't think that the more monitors you have, the more efficient you will be. I've clearly said a couple of times that you should use what you feel comfortable with. If that’s one, two, three, four monitors, then so be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moonriver - there are in fact virtual desktops for windows, I use Dexpot for XP.

I agree above, to each his own. Some like Dual some do not. I like it but work at a small table on a laptop and have no room to set up a second monitor. So I use a virtual desktop to control things, it is what I am used to. In my last job i had a extra monitor and used both with the running virtual desktops, worked fine for me.

Each person should try what they can and choose what they preffer.

Can we just get back on subject ad avoid all the bickering? It is getting rather tiresome for the rest of us I think.
    Thank You, Migwetth, Gunalche’esh, Ha’w'aa, Danke

Kyle Lamson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual view is the way to go. I use it at home and work. Great to have the project you working on on one and your fav forum on the other. Help make me far more productive.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep this on topic and respect other members. If not the thread will be closed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at work i use 2 17" monitors and i can honestly say i'd rather have that then one 21" monitor for web development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my eye on this sweet monitor http://www.doublesight.com/prod_ds1900.htm for a while now. The guy that used to be in the office down the hall from me has one and I got to try it out. Awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 3 years using two 17 inch monitors and it si much better than a one big monitor. Better. I'm planning to have another one of 15 inch as a "monitor" to see my web sites in it at 800x600 or whatever resolution i had to design for and the other two to work. It is the best thing to have the main part of the software like photoshop in one monitor and all the pallettes open and pretty arranged on the other side. Or Dreamweaver, you name it.

Yuo will feel very good working on it, and your clients if they visit your work place will feel very impresed.
    Use the source, Luke...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    I have had my eye on this sweet monitor http://www.doublesight.com/prod_ds1900.htm for a while now. The guy that used to be in the office down the hall from me has one and I got to try it out. Awesome!
    I know what I want for christmas....

Since I've switched to dual screens, I know I can work a whole lot more efficient than when I had a single. I've used a single 21" on another computer, and still like my dual 19's better.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    -- Jimi Hendrix
    No I don't
    -- W. Wisdom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, as I stated earlier, especially for web development purposes dual is the way to go (or ultra-wide). Instead of having to constantly alt-tab between the apps I use, I simply keep my graphics on one side and code on the other, this allows me to refence dimensions of elements as well as pick out RGB/HEX values directly from the mockup using the eyedropper. While Duals aren't a live or die issue, those who have them understand their usefulness.

Regarding the Moonriver issue, did anyone happen to notice he has barely any posts? Odds are it's a trolling expedition meant to get us arguing and wasting time and space.

SB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dual monitors = seperation of work and panels = much more productive work

It's very nice to have all the panels and palletes on one monitor and your work on another. I would always go dual monitors over one big one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is it necessary to have two video cards to run dual monitors?

My husband bought me two 20" flat panels recently (I haven't hooked both of them up just yet), and now I'm curious if I will need additional hardware. I have a nVidia Quadro FX 500 graphics card with dual monitor capability (128 mb - 7.8 Gb/sec.).

I will be using one monitor for web production work and the other monitor will be hooked-up to a surveillance camera system to keep on eye on our acreage, and kids playing in the yard. Until we get the surveillance system set-up, I plan on using both monitors for production.

Is having dual cards really a necessity for me, or can I manage with what I have without losing quality and performance?
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    So is it necessary to have two video cards to run dual monitors?

My husband bought me two 20" flat panels recently (I haven't hooked both of them up just yet), and now I'm curious if I will need additional hardware. I have a nVidia Quadro FX 500 graphics card with dual monitor capability (128 mb - 7.8 Gb/sec.).

I will be using one monitor for web production work and the other monitor will be hooked-up to a surveillance camera system to keep on eye on our acreage, and kids playing in the yard. Until we get the surveillance system set-up, I plan on using both monitors for production.

Is having dual cards really a necessity for me, or can I manage with what I have without losing quality and performance?
    No it's not necessary, your nVidia should work just fine.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    -- Jimi Hendrix
    No I don't
    -- W. Wisdom