SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I change the resolution on one screen to 800 x 600 when testing. And have my other set to 1024x768 and just drag stuff across.
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try getting two keyboards and mice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duals Nooooo....

I must have three monitors (19in sony lcd's) going at all times. In the event I have to use my laptop, I usually just complain about not having enough space. In the event I am reduced to my treo screen, I just start bleeding from my eyes.

Thanks
    Tbase
    I want to BUY Google API Keys (Soap).
    PM me if you got one to sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to use it to play and stuff, then maybe go for the single monitor. If it's for work then try out two. I for sure wouldn't change mines for one, even if it was bigger, they're just too handy.

Oh and, I remember reading some study that said that having two monitors increased productivity by a 90%. That's how I got to keep my dual monitors at work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velocd
    and bought the Hyundai LD09+ for primary (8ms RT, better for gaming if/when I game). Looking forward to a fun summer (if it ever stops raining this late in year).
    Looks like a nice choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by tbase
    I must have three monitors (19in sony lcd's) going at all times. In the event I have to use my laptop, I usually just complain about not having enough space. In the event I am reduced to my treo screen, I just start bleeding from my eyes.
    57" of viewing goodness, that's the way to go

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldinha
    I remember reading some study that said that having two monitors increased productivity by a 90%.
    There's no way that's true. The study was obviously funded by monitor manufacturers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonriver
    There's no way that's true. The study was obviously funded by monitor manufacturers.
    I won't believe the percent literally, but it does increase productivity greatly, that I can assure you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion (as I'm thinking about upgrading shortly). I've been using some very sexy 21" Dell's at work for using ArcGis etc. and although not duals, the difference between the digital dell and the analog 17" Relisys I have in my office is unbelievably noticeable. Couple hours in front of the Dell then back to my Relisys and it's like I've taken my glasses off or something. Ouch. Next time it's DVI all the way.

Does anyone know if the Mac Mini is DVI and/or can do dual output?
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the mac mini is DVI. Not sure about the dual output though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using two 17" Samsung 172Xs at home for a year now and they're invaluable for any kind of web work, or other multi-tasking. Editor on one, website/other reference material on the other; photoshop image on one, toolbars on other (with perhaps some reference material underneath).

Even for gaming, you can have the game on one monitor and IRC/ventrilo/email on the second to keep an eye on things.

Only thing now is that I quite fancy a nice 30" Apple Cinema display to go inbetween the two Samsungs lol. Plenty of space for image editing/gaming/whatever with two 'reference' screens. That, alas, will have to remain a dream for the foreseeable future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdbeardmt
    Does anyone know if the Mac Mini is DVI and/or can do dual output?
    The MM does have a DVI output.

I'm not sure about the dual monitor situation with the MM, but I did come across this - http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000527043311/

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 monitors gives me a headache. Buy the Samsung, they make a quality product.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm joining the conversation late (as usual!), but I would have to say to go for two flat LCD's.

At my old job I was using a 17inch, big, ugly POS monitor and then they upgraded it to TWO 15inch LCD's ... and ... well ... AMAZING!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opted for 1 really nice widescreen. I got a Sony 23" flat and it's excellent. Unfortunately, it's not as good is my clunky 18 inch dell as far a intense graphics, but otherwise it's better because I can fit plenty on the screen.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I perfer dual...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever anyone does stay away from HP flat panel monitors. I have the HP F1703 17" flat panel and I am starting to have blackouts on it and it appears I'm not alone....
    One Year Ensures a Black Monitor

Of course I had mine for 14 months, so the 1 year warranty is up and it looks like I'm S.O.L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Dual 19" flat screens and would never go back to a single monitor. Makes coding so easy as you can have your editor open on one and the result(s) in the other. Is also the same for day to day browsing, keep email open in the second one and browse the net in the other. Run a program like Ultramon and you can move programs from screen to screen. Easy.

I'd love that triple screen setup - hmmm...how can I justify getting work to pay for that :P

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would definitely go dual monitors vs 1 larger monitor. The 21" monitor you referred to in the original post is only going to give an extra 2" of screen space. Dual monitors you'll have a full extra 19" -- that is an awesome setup.

I just hooked up a 2nd monitor on my pc. I thought my GeForceFX5900Ultra card supported dual monitors, but it didn't. I dug up an old VooDoo3 3000 PCI card, windowsXP flawlessly recognized it. I did have to buy UltraMon software to get the dual setup to work.

I had bought a 17" Sony LCD screen from office depot for $99. It was on clearence.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    I opted for 1 really nice widescreen. I got a Sony 23" flat and it's excellent. Unfortunately, it's not as good is my clunky 18 inch dell as far a intense graphics, but otherwise it's better because I can fit plenty on the screen.
    Imagine if you had two of those though!!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote dual large monitors. 2x 22" viewsonics at work, both running at 1600x1200. sometimes you just need 3200 pixels of horizontal screenspace.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dual monitor setup for about 18 months and it is good for situations like:

1) monitoring logs while testing an application
    2) HTML design where you can see results while also looking at HTML source.
    3) graphics design.
    4) any task that requires you to switch applications or uses more than one app. simultaneously.

I have two 21" CRT but I would go with two 19" LCD (same screen space) for the lower power usage and desk space. The price have some down a lot from the time I bought mine.

Matrox makes some good dual head cards that are good for business uses (unsure about 3D and graphics capabilities) and they have a good support forum.

I have had windows 2000 on dual head but I mainly use Fedora (linux) which works great. The newest Core 3 version seems great (and fast).

When you think about how much time you spend manageing your desktop (moving windows, maximizing, minimizing), it makes sense to use a multi-monitor setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had dual viewsonic 19 CRT's and now i have 2 Dell 2005FPW widescreens!! I would have to say that productivity is increased w/ this setup. If I could have 5 monitors i would. Its all about using what you have wisely. Being able to do your dev work on one monitor and view the results (as Muller said) on the other is a good reason to at least try it out. Plus my room isn't the biggest right now, so I watch TV on my computer as well. Now that i have 2 monitors i can watch tv, and still work on my computer w/ both applications full screen. Im so glad Dual Displays are here, and I hope the technology improves, if it can.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_W
    Imagine if you had two of those though!!
    It's not the money, two 23"monitors side-by-side would just become so expansive on my desk, that from end-to-end I couldn't see the distant corners of each screen without having to strain my eyes. Otherwise I'd string many together. But there's a limit IMO. And that's either 2 small, or one large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    It's not the money, two 23"monitors side-by-side would just become so expansive on my desk, that from end-to-end I couldn't see the distant corners of each screen without having to strain my eyes. Otherwise I'd string many together. But there's a limit IMO. And that's either 2 small, or one large.
    Yeah, I imagine it would be a little hard to see the corners! It all depends on the desk you have too. I could easily have those size screens in a perfectly viewable posistion.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't you seen the Matrix?? More screens is always better!

But seriously...I have my 23" cinema screen connected to the laptop, and I rarely have anything on the laptop screen. Sometimes I'll drag iTunes, or my calendar over there, but if I'm ever working on something it's on the main screen.

That's a long-winded way of saying two screens is cool, but I'm not sure how practical it actually is.

That being said, on the 23" I can get two screens side by side on the same monitor, which I do on a regular basis, and love...not sure if you can do that on a 21 with the regular aspect ratio.