SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Monitor envy. Mine's bigger than yours.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that dual monitors if a huge increase in productivity. If I had two I'd probably keep my email, rss, and chat in one window. In the other my web browser can code editor (or a code editor in a third one).

I don't think that you need dual monitors, but it has a better advantage over one huge monitor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought and facilitated the purchase of MANY dell systems, and our production servers are all poweredge servers. Dell has been bulletproof on their quality and support. The laptop I do all of my development work on came from their outlet store and was refurbished, but has lasted longer than a thinkpad I bought new. If you want to discuss design, Dell has it locked down. I've repaired hundreds of home units, and compared to Compaq/HP, IBM, Gateway, and Sony, I will take Dell anyday (having to gut the power supply and half the drives to install a stick of ram {a la HP} is ridiculous). Sorry to hear of your bad experiences with Dell, but having spent 20 years working on PCs, Dell has by far the best setup going these days.

As far as single v. dual display, our server guru and I both use a pair of Dell 1901FPs and they have performed superbly, not a dead pixel in sight. While I have a widescreen on my laptop, I still prefer the dual displays for larger work areas (in particular, I use Photoshop on one and Flash MX / Dreamweaver on the other). Another employee here recently got the new 20.5" Wide Screen from Dell and it is SEXY.

Just my $0.02

SB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer one large screen, but it depends on what you're doing. I have a 21" and two 19", maybe I should experiment with three.
    Scriptalicious SEO Scripts
    Save 20% with coupon code SPROCKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 21 in the middle and the 2 baby 19's either side!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my 24" Sony GDM-FW900 CRT, but will likely hook up my 21" Sony GDP-520 once nVidia sorts our their SLI issues.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody that lavishes so much money on themselves for unnecessary toys (a monitor just for email/rss/chat?!?!) is spoiled rotten.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dual montior and now cant live without them. Very handy when doing coding or browsing on one screen and chatting in the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonriver
    Anybody that lavishes so much money on themselves for unnecessary toys (a monitor just for email/rss/chat?!?!) is spoiled rotten.
    Or they work hard and so get their rewards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote dual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    single 23" flat wide screen - flexible workspace division, smaller form factor, less chord clutter, less radiation

I used to have two 17's then got the 23" and ran it alongside the 17" but eventually found that to be simply too much.

BTW, why does a powerbook with OSX not allow u to make the add-on screen the primary screen and the laptop screen the secondary - very foolish IMHO

Samsung is the shiznit.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQHell
    I have dual montior and now cant live without them. Very handy when doing coding or browsing on one screen and chatting in the other.
    You would die without two monitors?? Wow, try going to some less affluent country sometime to see how others "manage" to "live." Anybody chatting while coding isn't going to produce code that's worth much.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would die without two monitors?? Wow, try going to some less affluent country sometime to see how others "manage" to "live." Anybody chatting while coding isn't going to produce code that's worth much.
    No maybe NOT BUT if you are a serious programmer you CANNOT function without them. Personally at any given time I will have Editplus, a DOS window (server messages), PGAdmin and a browser window open while Im working... and thats on a GOOD day!

People need workspace and those doing intensive work like some of us do need LOTS of it.

Im actually starting to have problems with just having 1 - 19" & 1 - 21" .... sick and tired of searching around for the window I need.

BTW, for those of you looking for good deals in the US on bigger monitors check out your local computer shows. Ive bought 20 + recon'd 21" Sony Trinitron monitors (Flat Glass - not flat panel), Different companies (it really doesnt matter whose name is one it - its who MADE it and Sony ROCKS) ... anyway Ive been paying $150 - $250 for them with 3 year warranties! Cant beat that deal and I have not had one go bad yet!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    No maybe NOT BUT if you are a serious programmer you CANNOT function without them. Personally at any given time I will have Editplus, a DOS window (server messages), PGAdmin and a browser window open while Im working... and thats on a GOOD day!

People need workspace and those doing intensive work like some of us do need LOTS of it.

Im actually starting to have problems with just having 1 - 19" & 1 - 21" .... sick and tired of searching around for the window I need.

BTW, for those of you looking for good deals in the US on bigger monitors check out your local computer shows. Ive bought 20 + recon'd 21" Sony Trinitron monitors (Flat Glass - not flat panel), Different companies (it really doesnt matter whose name is one it - its who MADE it and Sony ROCKS) ... anyway Ive been paying $150 - $250 for them with 3 year warranties! Cant beat that deal and I have not had one go bad yet!
    You're just making excuses. The programmers years ago made do with a single monochrome monitor with far less resolution. You people just remind me of spoiled kids boasting about their toys. I know of no quality programmers that code while being distracted by email and other apps. Finding windows is hard ? Really? Give me a break.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're just making excuses. The programmers years ago made do with a single monochrome monitor with far less resolution. You people just remind me of spoiled kids boasting about their toys. I know of no quality programmers that code while being distracted by email and other apps. Finding windows is hard ? Really? Give me a break.
    No, finding windows is not hard. But it is a waste of time. I find it alot more efficent to have setups such as the following:

1) Any given IDE running full screen, with associated panels on Main. Database IDE builder on secondary so I can, at a glance, see what fields and such I am dealing with.

2) Any given IDE on Main. Website/Helpfile/Code Example on Secondary so I can code while looking at the example.

3) Any given IDE on Main. Output running on Secondary so I can tweak output code while looking at output.

4) Document I am writing on Main. Document I am referencing on secondary. So I can work while looking at the reference material.

I do about a third of my coding on a ultraportable laptop. And I notice that I run at about 75% efficency for anything but the most elementary tasks.

I have done alot of tweaks with my computing setups over the years. The biggest single gain in efficency was getting dual monitors up and running. If you have not yet been to the promised land, I suggest you find it fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously YOU are still building bat files on a monochrome monitor..... Your attitude ALONE shows you dont have FREAKING CLUE ONE what the heck you are talking about, another amatuer who thinks he knows everything!

And Ill tell you what smartass, anytime you want to program head to head Im ready ........ JERK!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously YOU are still building bat files on a monochrome monitor..... Your attitude ALONE shows you dont have FREAKING CLUE ONE what the heck you are talking about, another amatuer who thinks he knows everything!

And Ill tell you what smartass, anytime you want to program head to head Im ready ........ JERK!
    LOL, your response just shows how truly unprofessional you are. I'm sure I've been programming longer than you have, and on far more challenging projects and in more languages. You sound like a prima donna that can't work in anything but the most pampered environment. Do you drink evian and have belly dancers fan the air for you too?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    No, finding windows is not hard. But it is a waste of time. I find it alot more efficent to have setups such as the following:

1) Any given IDE running full screen, with associated panels on Main. Database IDE builder on secondary so I can, at a glance, see what fields and such I am dealing with.

2) Any given IDE on Main. Website/Helpfile/Code Example on Secondary so I can code while looking at the example.

3) Any given IDE on Main. Output running on Secondary so I can tweak output code while looking at output.

4) Document I am writing on Main. Document I am referencing on secondary. So I can work while looking at the reference material.

I do about a third of my coding on a ultraportable laptop. And I notice that I run at about 75% efficency for anything but the most elementary tasks.

I have done alot of tweaks with my computing setups over the years. The biggest single gain in efficency was getting dual monitors up and running. If you have not yet been to the promised land, I suggest you find it fast.
    OK, you make some good points. I have to admit that I occasionally fire up my laptop and use it to look at reference material while working on my 19". DC Dalton should learn from your response and hopefully get a clue as to how to conduct himself in a more professional manner (but he obviously has a lot of maturing to do).

PS - it's "a lot", not "alot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 22" LCD as my main and 19" as my secondary. I normally only use the main one but when i'm programming i'll have phpMyAdmin on the secondary and another thing, normally my FTP client.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you make some good points. I have to admit that I occasionally fire up my laptop and use it to look at reference material while working on my 19". DC Dalton should learn from your response and hopefully get a clue as to how to conduct himself in a more professional manner (but he obviously has a lot of maturing to do).

PS - it's "a lot", not "alot."
    Hehe. I am a coder/project manager. Word fixes those damn grammatical glitches.

Now, wouldn't it be nice to not only see the reference materials, but be able to copy and paste them?

That is the difference between the laptop vs. dual monitor setup.

Actually, come to think of it, sometimes I run things on the dual monitors then have the laptop setup to preview/test the application. And sometimes another computer sitting about to do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other professions benefit from dual monitors also

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K
    moon you haven't used dual monitors yet, have you? Would be interesting to see what you think after 1 month in front of dual 21in. Sony's. Actually, if your not a developer, designer or programmer they might be overkill.
    Actually there are a few other professions that benefit from multiple monitors. I have 2 20" Widescreen Dell LCDs. I'm in the mortgage industry and I'm constantly working on several different files at once. The exra real estate comes in very handy.

Back in the day when I used to trade stocks for a living a dual monitor setup was the absolute minimum. When dual monitor cards were not that common alot of the trading sites had ads for these special video cards that supported dual or quad monitors that sold for upwards of $2K.

We've come a long way baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, your response just shows how truly unprofessional you are. I'm sure I've been programming longer than you have, and on far more challenging projects and in more languages. You sound like a prima donna that can't work in anything but the most pampered environment. Do you drink evian and have belly dancers fan the air for you too?
    Another Freaking TROLL who likes nothing more than to do ANYTHING possible to annoy people, GEE ... wonder if its GeniusGoalie AGAIN?

Your lack of tack doesnt even deserve a response .... I do just fine for myself in my own business and YOU are exactly the reason I told Corporate life to piss off years ago!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Freaking TROLL who likes nothing more than to do ANYTHING possible to annoy people, GEE ... wonder if its GeniusGoalie AGAIN?

Your lack of tack doesnt even deserve a response .... I do just fine for myself in my own business and YOU are exactly the reason I told Corporate life to piss off years ago!
    Jeez, take your ritalin! It's obvious you're a sociopath who has a total lack of social skills - you should someday realize that THAT'S why you can't hack it in corporate life. You're the troll - go away. Myself and the others are now having a civilized conversation.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uggh - unsubscribed
    Links? I don't need no stinkin' links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moonriver's got monitor envy. hehehehe