SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone probably scraping my site.

However, it is just an Amazon AWS/ECS affiliate site where they could get the same information anyway (only a bit more work of course).

Should I add some code to allow me to "stop" these folks? Should I not worry about it since the information is readily available from Amazon anyway (again, with a bit more work though)? Should I be concerned about them copying these web pages and then just re-branding them???

Hmmm. Decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know it's not a search engine spidering your site? Wouldn't it be good for you since all the links have your affiliate code? Personally, I would stop them only if it's costing me money in terms of extra bandwidth or putting too much of a load on your server. You could also change your links so they redirect through your own server (obfusicated in some way) so it's hard for the person scraping your site to just change the affiliate code.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Referer does not seem to contain any SE bot entries that I know of (or can find through research). It looks like a site grabber plug-in type setup or a very bored user (i.e. over 300 page views when the average is about 12).

Funny thing is, the site is technically not live but has content; however, there are no affiliate codes or even links to the affiliates...those coming this weekend. Har!

Edit: grammatical error
    Last edited by StephenBauer; May 17, 2005 at 13:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. That's funny. I don't know what's up with that. Maybe you have a really really engaging site.

Owen