SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long did it take you to build your site up?

Hey guys,

This is a question for the well established sites receiving more than 5k uniques a day, how long did it take you to get there? Did you use advertising services such as AdWords? I'm currently getting around 1500 a day, and it took me a good couple of months to do it.

Currently, I'm pulling $1-$2 a day with Claxon, which some of you must think is pathetic.

edit - think i posted this in the wrong place, could a mod move it?
    Last edited by instereo9; May 17, 2005 at 00:50. Reason: has a bad habit of wanting to add more..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by instereo9
    Hey guys,

This is a question for the well established sites receiving more than 5k uniques a day, how long did it take you to get there? Did you use advertising services such as AdWords? I'm currently getting around 1500 a day, and it took me a good couple of months to do it.
    I release new sites every week, but I advertise very heavily online and offline. We generally start seeing the 5k/uniques per day barrier cave in from 3-6 days after the major campaigns have been launched. After that the sky is the limit. Best run to date was 4 days after the official release, and we counted over 30k/uniques the day after the first TV & Flyer campaign. Results vary depending on the type of service/product too. Goodluck with your site!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook-Jon
    I release new sites every week, but I advertise very heavily online and offline. We generally start seeing the 5k/uniques per day barrier cave in from 3-6 days after the major campaigns have been launched. After that the sky is the limit. Best run to date was 4 days after the official release, and we counted over 30k/uniques the day after the first TV & Flyer campaign. Results vary depending on the type of service/product too. Goodluck with your site!

great "story". but may i ask what campaigns you used, i just cant seem to fined the right one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMike
    great "story". but may i ask what campaigns you used, i just cant seem to fined the right one..
    I was referring to some of our newer campaigns for Loan application leads. I also have a pretty hefty monthly advertising budget in place, but like everything else, volume is the key.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, i was just wondering if say, adwords has worked for you or some similar like overture.. This is becuase i want to see how other people preform with them..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, i was just wondering if say, adwords has worked for you or some similar like overture.. This is becuase i want to see how other people preform with them..
    AdWords works pretty well, so does Overture. The only problem is, even though there is a large budget in place, I refuse to pay extremely high prices for oversaturated keywords. This is when AdSense and Yahoo Search Marketing really come into play to our benefit. Overall though, they all work well for my campaigns, but sometimes OV works better than Google, and other times it's the other way around. There's no standard really, 'cause if there were, I'd be on top of it like a fat kid at an ice cream parlour.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea on the minimum spending amount for adwords.. I want results such as 2-4k a day visitors from adwords.. I have down alot of research for the keywords, and its deffinitly not over saturated...

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The minimum is 5 cents a click, so you would be looking at between $100 and $200 a day if you can get in at the minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea on the minimum spending amount for adwords.. I want results such as 2-4k a day visitors from adwords.. I have down alot of research for the keywords, and its deffinitly not over saturated...
    Well, assuming you can get all of your keywords for 5 cents a click, you're only spending a few hundred bucks a day, which isn't bad at all for that type of traffic. You also have to assume that whatever keywords you've researched actually get a high volume amount of traffic for very cheap too. If I were you, I'd run identical campaigns on Adwords and OV, and see which one outperforms the other. Test it out for 2-4 weeks straight, and compare your results to see which one deserves more advertising dollars than the other.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competitiveness of your keywords and the target market determines the amount you will be spending to receive 2k - 5k visits through Google. Adwords will be good if you are trying to drive sales to a specific product or service but if you are selling advertisement space and want to generate traffic only, you may consider using small pay per click engines which will drive more traffic (lower quality traffic) for less budget.
    what is the URL of the site you are marketing?
    Last edited by trafficabsolute; Jun 3, 2005 at 06:32.

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally use adwords and overture to kick start a site and so far has worked well for me. My main sites are all mostly general audience sites. That coupled with an unleash of ad campaigns generally results in well over 10-20K uniques as soon as the ad campaigns go live. Then I slowly cut down my adwords and overture budget and sometimes do some CPM campaigns.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting about 40k/day. Word of mouth did me in. And I got some choice listings in Google, but that happened fairly late in the life of the site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you recommend to puclish a low-badget website?
    I mean something about 100-200$ per month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question doesn't have an answer because every good site is constantly being "built up." =P

I pulled an lo0ol.

Word of mouth is key I think. I printed 1,250 stickers for my site for $100 using StickerGuy.com and passed them all out at my huge high school one day. To this day my most loyal visitors are all from my high school. That just helped to get me off my feet.

In addition to that good SEO technique is the best way to get good quality, entirely free, and potentially extremeley large quantities of traffic.

Link exchanges are the third part of it. You need to network as much as possible, SitePoint is a great way to do this. In addition to giving you extra visitors and support, it gives you higher PR which helps with SEO as well.

I've tried numerous advertising campaigns but none were ever worthwhile. Every dollar I spent on advertising I deemed as a complete waste. It may just be a bad idea for content sites, but I can definitely see it being worthwhile if your site sells something.
    Last edited by Andy Forsberg; Jun 3, 2005 at 16:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about sites like visitorboost.com?