SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review iNeTours.com

I believe the time has come to ask the SitePoint Community to review my site. Don't pull any punches.

iNeTours.com

Thanks
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. My first impression is very good. Your site loaded very quickly. I must say I like the clean and simple look, yet it still looks very professional. Well done!

There were only two things that bothered me:

1) When you click on the naviagation bar at the top and go to a different page (say Free Stuff) the nav. bar goes away on those pages. I would strongly recommend you keep that nav. bar on all page. It's very annoying to have to go back to the home page to find another link.

2) On the front page, you have a list of links to SF neighborhoods. They look discombobulating to me b/c they are all just in a sentence. What about placing them in three columns? Like:
    Code:
    *Blah Blah                 *Blah Blah                 *Blah Blah
    It looks much cleaner that way.

You've done a great job with the design.
    Last edited by gymaholic7; Jun 21, 2001 at 06:36.
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good effort.

First things:

Your logo is good, simple but very effective and a good use of colours etc.

The nav bar is also pretty effective. The mousover text is not centred and you probably shouldn't be using red as the colour (I'd suggest blue).

So that was good....

But, you don't make enough of the links - it is all simple text with links - you should try and persuade people to look at the pages more.

Your quicktime panorama things - well it's a great idea. I tried to click one and got bored waiting for it to load so closed it. And that closed the whole site down! It said it was 2.1mb - that is a BIG file just so we can have a look at a photo of SF!

The white in the page is OK but just can't help feeling that it is lacking something, it doesn't quite have that professional edge - maybe the fonts used.

But generally good though.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, but a few things that are really disturbing.

First and foremost the navigation. Totally agree that you should have that navigation bar from the home page on all other pages. Also do not force viewers to go to home page to get to another section, bad design there. And you have so many different kinds of navigation, home page has that main bar, some pages have a full list of links at the bottom for that section, other pages have an entirely different list of links. Thats fine for the sections as long as you have links to all the main sections as well, which you don't.

Second is the size of your text for links. I'm viewing it at 800x600 right now and I was unable to read the "back to top" and "home" text links in your pages. Make the text size of these links the same as the content on the pages. This also goes for your signature lines, way to small and unreadable.

Your SF pages are nice, with photos on either side and text in center. I think you should consider doing that to the home page as well, (and a few others) there is to much empty space there with only text. You need to punch it up much more. Remember that home page is your very first and only chance at a good impression from your viewers. Don't clutter it, but at the same time don't allow it to be dull.

As for the empty space you really should expand your content out to use more of the screen. it's to tight, leaving a quarter of the screen empty on either side. If you do that, it might solve the bare feeling on the home page as well.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all (like already said) I think it is important that the nav bar is available on all pages.
    Also make the text shown on mouseover centered!

Another thing is that I would at least one free line at the bottom of the mainpage.
    The links are at the very bottom and are too near at the task bar.

Then there was something which was disturbing me a bit, but I didn't know what it was.
    Then I saw it.
    In your header, everything has a shadow, except the text
    "Visit San Francisco
    California Wine Country
    comming soon".
    I would place it elsewhere or make an image in the style of the travel news button.

I would keep this "3D look" for the rest of the page also, perhaps by putting everything into a frame which has the same shadow!

But all in all, your page is good!
    AND! It loads very fast!

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a PC, res.=1024x768

Nice job! First impression was great!

It loaded really fast. I really like your logo. Orange and blue are one of my favorite combinations, so I definitely like it.

The rollover navigation bar is great. I like the descriptions that pop-up. One thing though: on my computer, the pop-up descriptions appear just under the nav. bar but way to the left. I would recommend putting the descriptions centered under the nav. bar.

Also, instead of having all of those links on the front page, maybe have a jump-menu. It would take up less room, and then your front page may fit onto the screen without scrolling. It would also look neater.

Great job!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iNeTours.com reviews

Thanks for all the great feedback so far. I'll definetly be implementing your suggestions, but I have a question.

A couple reviewers have commented on the rollover text not being centered. It is when I view the site with Netscape Communicator 4.7 or IE 5 on my G4. Is this one of those Mac/PC things?

I agonized over the size/resolution monitor to design for and decided on 640 x480 for total coverage. Couldn't see how to stretch the header for higher res. and didn't want the text lines to get to long. Any suggestions?
    Lee Nelson
    iNeTours.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comment on designing for 640x480 res.. forget it. It's an old dinasaur and you wont loose viewers for ignoring it. As far as my stats go, I get someone viewing my pages at that res maybe twice a week, just not worth it. Especially since the trend is now for the higher resolutions. Soon 800x600 will go the way of 640x480, but I don't suggest ignoring that one considering laptop vieiwers.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall it's a very clean look and I like it. There is really only one thing I would change.

At the bottom the navigation menu looks pretty squished and looks kind of crammed. You might want to space it out a little more or divide it up somehow. I would put just an extra double-space inbetween the dividers and the links. That was it doesn't look like it all runs together.

That's about it! Other than that it's a great site in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice

The first page is quite nice, I especially like the 5 or so pictures all lined up next to each other, very classy.

But maybe you could choose a VERY light shade (blue?) for the background. I think it just would combine all of the other 'blue' elements together.

Also I would probably be tempter to make some of your text a bit bigger in 800x600 view, it is a bit hard to read.

All in all a very clean and effective site

*try making a normal java-type rollover menu, instead of the CSS one to fix the centering problem...

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally liked the site. My issues are much the same as the rest. The text links appear way to cluttered. Maybe try a bulleted list or, like another reader said, 3 columns. Break it up somehow. Rollovers are nice, but I really get the "robotic" feel. Very cut and concise. Might not hurt to have a softer edge to the site. Maybe make the background something other than white; feather the rollover graphics a bit. Viewers looking for vacation want to RELAX not feel like everything is regimented...they go to work for that. :-) Make the site a bit easier to view and not so robotic. Rollover text does need to be centered. Final MAJOR issue I have is with META tags. Make sure they get in there when you publish for search engines. Very clean source code. Moto bene!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It loaded very quickly, however I do not like the DHTML script that shows descriptive text about the link images. I suggest that you describe the links in ALT tags instead. The front page is great and I like how you have different fonts for the "header" of the page. On the page with the "San Francisco" image, however, I would not have the image's edges fade to white. I would suggest keeping the borders straight, and adding a black border around it.

Other than that, good job!
    Jonathan Malm

---------------------------
    jonathanmalm@yahoo.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions from SitePointers. I've begun implementing them (while continuing to develop and add content).

I have had a couple of suggestions to resolving the rollover text not centering on some systems. Quick question: are all the systems that are showing the text on the left rather than centered on PC's? With a particular browser? At all resolutions or just above 800 x600?

Thanks.
    Lee Nelson
    iNeTours.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm on PC IE 5.5 with 1024 * 768 resolution in response to your rollover question. I definately see that it is aligned to the left.

Try to use: <center> and </center> instead of <div align="center"> and </div>.

You may have to create an aligned center table for that text to go in if you know how to do that with all that messy DHTML code.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm viewing 1t 1024x768, IE 5.5...same situation.

This is my take on whats going on from looking at your source. Instead of centering the DIV's, center the text IN the DIV's. Try that.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Not bad, not bad at all.

Here are a couple of locations I use for transit info. You are welcome to them.

www.sfmuni.com/
    www.transitinfo.org/

the transitinfo has just too much for anyone to dig through. but there is the actransit and some other great sites that could be dug out of the listing.

I know that this is not a real review but i am not doing this for a review count. just stopping in to take a look at the old neighborhood.

also a brief note about the use of div and center. there are some earlier browsers that will need the center tag. what i have seen done is this:
    <body etc.....>
    <center><div align="center">
    ......the rest of it here..........
    </div>
    </center>
    </body>

peace

edshuck@noevalley.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made some improvments based on sugestions from SitePointers. Got sidetracked today preparing Golden Gate Park panoramas and info. Hope to have it added by the end of the week.

Thanks again for all your great sugestions and feedback.
    Lee Nelson
    iNeTours.com