SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question help fetching/pulling of data & images from a remote asp driven site ??

Howdy,

I did some searching for answers to this but I'm not sure of the exact termonology to describe it and haven't found any results.

Here's what I want to do with one of my sites. (Copied and pasted from my Elance project request) I'd love to do it myself, but I have a pretty basic skill level with the programming end of things.

OBJECTIVE: Addition/extension to existing site

FEATURES: remote fetching of data for website

ANALOGY: We want to add a function to our existing site and need assistance with the backend programing. We want to gather data and pictures from a remote website running a .asp script. The remote site (3rd party) has a login/password via a webform and updates every few days. We want to store the date/pics from that site on our local server and be able to pull them from the database to display on our site. The part we need a contractor for is the fetching / pulling process, not the local displaying. The fetching process will need to be automated and occur every few days, not dynamicaly. We are running on a dedicated server. This can be done in any language as long as the data is stored in a mysql database so it can be accessed using local php scripting. However, it will need to be documented well so that we can expand/modify it in the future.

SERVERLANG: CGI/PERL, PHP
    DATABASE: mySQL
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux

I'm curious if anyone has experience with something like this and can point me in the right direction? Or if anyone has had success coding a project like this, would you be interested in developing it for me?

Thanks in advance,
    -Colin
    -Colin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any ideas?
    -Colin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any sites where i should ask this question?
    -Colin

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elance:

We want to add a function to our existing site and need assistance with the backend programing.
    You:

I'd love to do it myself, but I have a pretty basic skill level with the programming end of things.
    So you want people here to do the work for you?

P.s You might be better off in the ASP section of the site, and good luck.

You might want to ask the Elance people if the 3rd party site stores there stuff in a DataBase then it would just be the case oflogging into there Db and pulling the info out and saving it into Elance chaps!
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"