Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

auto_increment, last_insert_id, and searching

:: transmission initiated

how do people usually assign their IDs to primary keys in a table?

how do i reset the last_insert_id variable?

and let's say i have five rows in a table having auto_increment IDs ranging from 1 - 5. i deleted the row with ID = 4. now when i insert a new row, how do i get it to assign an ID = 4 instead of ID = 5? as in, how do i search through the column and determine and unused number so that i can use it? is there a built in function for that?

cheers, joannou.

:: transmission terminated

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    insert_id returns the information of the row it just inserted into the database...

as far as inserting a specific ID increments...you would have to whip up code that keeps the increments ID and just re-inserts the ID number in the database.

say I just removed a row with the ID of 2 all I have to do is this

INSERT INTO test(ID) VALUES('2')

Because the auto_incrementer will take values other than NULL and not increment the counter, it only increments with its given NULL.

so when you delete a record, grab its ID to a variable before hand and after deleting it...just re-insert the ID variable when you do the INSERT command.

Hope that helps.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :: transmission initiated

now i get it. say i have a table with 5 rows (ID 1 - 5). i deleted row 2. then i deleted row 4. i can put all the freed id numbers in another table. and when i wanna add a new row, it will look at the other table and see if any ids are available and use it. otherwise, it will pass a null and let auto_increment do it's thing.

so, you mean there is no way to change the value that is grabbed by last_insert_id()? where does last_insert_id() grab the information from? maybe if i know where it grabs the information from, i can change or reset it.

thanks a lot, theiggsta!

cheers, joannou.

:: transmission terminated

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not a good idea what you wanna do, just use primary keys created automatically. I recommend you to search forums about the question you asked, it has been discussed couple of times.