SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using 301 for a friendlier URL

I'm not sure if this has been asked before. I searched and there are alot of 301 related questions, but i didn't find anyone asking this.

What I try to acomplish is present search engines with a simple URL with important keywords in it, pointing to the complicated existing URL. I would do this for specific pages only with specific keywords i'm gonna focus on in order to surface high in rankings (but not kill user-friendliness in the process).

And i want to use 301 redirect to do it, like this:

Code:
    redirect 301 /important-seo-keywords.php http://www.domain.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=ImportantSeoKeywords&back=WiwiHome
    And then i would link to the friendly url from the homepage and parent sections instead to the unfriendly one.

This would also mean that there would be two fully working URL's, one friendly and one unfriendly pointing at the same content, and both would be visible since i can't cloak existing url's without making the system unusable (wiwi module on my xoops site).

I could use mod_rewrite, but there are two problems with that. First, the site is big and complicated (XOOPS powered) with various modules every with its own url schemas so i'd have to have different rules for every module used, and i'm a newbie to the mod_rewrite coding. Second, mod_rewrite would only convert everything to static-like url's, but with no keywords in it. Just something like "http://www.domain.com/articles/article-123" instead of "http://www.domain.com/articles/important-seo-keywords.php" (that is, present the actual title of the document).

This is why i'm thinking about a simple and selective approach. Make friendly url's redirect to unfriendly ones for pages which i specially optimize for special keywords.

The question is, would SE's, especially google, have problems with two functioning url's? Is it a risk of some kind or it is fine? Also, would it be possible that a redirected friendly url has a higher PR than the real one (i actually wouldn't have much problems with that since that's the url i indend to draw traffic through anyway).

Thank you
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..

Anyone?

I'd just like to know if having two functional URL's would be fine with search engines, one SE friendly redirecting to the one that is not as friendly? And using the 301 redircect to point the friendly to unfriendly.

Thanks
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a 301 for user friendliness is OK, but I don't think it will help search engines, because 301 means "Moved Permanently" and so the search engine will follow the redirect, and file the page under the real URL. Make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. you may be right.. But yet, it may be opposite, that it will file a link through which it found the page in the first place..

I don't know..

Maybe i'm not gonna push for it for now afterall.. i looked a bit into the keywords on existing wiki pages and it seems they rank pretty well. It also seems that the "KeywordOneTwo" thing in the wiki url's help as well. Google seems to be distinguishing words even when they are written together without any spaces of hyphens..

I started writing the pages and we'll see how it does.

Thanks
    Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a 301 redirect google will look at the page you redirect to. Including "friendly" urls with 301 redirects isn't likely to help you.

Instead of mod_rewrite, I personally use mod_mime to get rid of extensions and use a script to pass the variables to another script. For example, /users/username/ is the same as users.php?user=username , I just set the $_GET variable to whatever I want when the file 'users' is called then include the users.php from there. I think it's easier on the server to not have to do all the pattern matching and you can include whatever keywords you want in the url.