SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone please explain this statement ...

It is also the case that you have no referring URLs, which is typical
    of other adnetwork activity such as MetricsDirect/180solutions. That
    needs to be disclosed as well as the incentive program itself."

No referring URLs means that the clicks don't show a page or site or whatever to show where they took place. That is typical of other adnetworks. Do you use a third party for your traffic? Though I can have someone figure that out, it's generally easier to just ask.

can someone please explain this to me in lamens terms.. thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they mean by referring urls is whenever a visitor clicks on a link on a specific page that points to another page, the referring url is the page that the link was on. For example, if you had a link on http://www.freeitech.com/ and someone clicked on it to go to another site, then http://www.freeitech.com/ would show up in the server logs as being the referring url - because the page http://www.freeitech.com/ referred the visitor to the link destination.

Their system not reporting referring urls from you means to me that either their system is not tracking referring urls properly OR your webpage (or where the ad link is located) is somehow not giving referrer data to the tracking server.

From what they are saying, inexistant referring urls is typical of running ads through an ad network. I don't know if that is true / accurate, maybe someone else here does know if most ad networks do not log/report referring urls.

Are you running any of the ads through an ad network on other people's websites? That's probably what they are mostly concerned with. Another possibility... are you using a third party ad serving system to serve & track advertising on your website?
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so in other words they think that i am trying to cheat them by placing ads on other sites... i would never do this because my sites run from these type of offers. without them then i would get no $$ . its kind of strange to me.. do u think they mean that noone has clicked the links? i dont totally understand. i do understand the part about the reffering url.. any more help would be apreciated thanks

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your users are clicking through from things like email links, instant messaging, or any other non-website source, there will be no referring URL. So if the affiliate companies want to see referral URLs for your traffic, that would mean that they do not allow you to send traffic from emails, etc. Of course, some people's browsers/firewalls block the referral URLs (damn them!!!) but most do not.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i see. i dont email or anything like that. could it be a user trying to fraud us and pasting their referrals unique sid # into the link on their browser to get credits for themselves? if thats the case then im going to have to put some people on hold