Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trojan Warning!!!!!!!!

I just receive the following email...
    Wayne,

An hour ago, I got the following email, which looked identical to the "new post" messages that this board sends out....unfortunately, it contained two little "presents" in an attachment. The attachment does NOT need to be opened for infection to occur, simply having preview pane on in MS Outlook will do it.

The viruses are identified by Norton as:

Backdoor.Trojan
    W32.Badtrans.13312@mm

they appear to mail themselves to the last person you sent an email to, then they "phone home". You are then probed by two IP addresses, in my case:

131.247.203.238:2957 (Florida)
    24.240.178.196:515,TCP (Unknown)

Fortunately, up to date virus software and a good firewall will prevent most of the inconvenience, but I'm sure no one here wants their machine to be a "zombie" for some one's DDS attack.

I'm fairly sure that the sender did this in response to the recent threads in the General Chat area, there has been a lot of US bashing in there lately, and I have been posting there.

Text of bogus email is below......

'SitePoint Community Forums Mailer' wrote:
    ====
    - Hello XXXXXXX,
    -
    - XXXXXXXXX has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - US to Europe: Bush only represents 49% of us. - in the General Chat forum of SitePoint Community Forums.
    -
    - Excerpt:
    - Well Euro-peons think the US is a sky blackening conceited self absorbed human rights crushing monster lead by and idiot. What most Euro-peons fail to realize is that the US does not give one tiny inf
    -
    - This thread is located at:
    - http:/ ...'

> Take a look to the attachment.
    Please destroy this email when you get it. Current Anti-Virus programs will catch these trojans. Also if you have a personal firewall installed you will be protected. If you don't have a personal you can get a free copy at www.zonelabs.com/.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes another reason not to use outlook
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...

So, I was the only one to receive this? How special, I feel so honored. Have you guys managed to track down the perp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    yes another reason not to use outlook
    oh please! get off ya anti-ms high horse

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Outlook is responsible for a lot of the trouble that virii cause, isn't it? I mean, I'm not anti-MS, at least in practice. In theory I'm not too crazy about them but I have Windows, use IE more than other browser, etc, but the integration between Outlook and everything else does seem to be a bad thing. I don't use it at home. Have to use it at work, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer
    Well, Outlook is responsible for a lot of the trouble that virii cause, isn't it?
    Virus writers will always find a way to try to harm users - no matter what. There have already been Mac viruses I know of, it goes to show this is spreading from Windows. In reality, it's the users' fault for being ignorant enough to open attachments and help spread these nasty viruses.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten about 10 of these in the past month but I know what to look for and my Norton's is kept up to date. The thing is about this is that the virus comes to people from individuals they know. the infected user does not even know he or she is infected and instead replies to senders of unread email after, I think 3 days. It has clips of the previously sent email and then has the words -Look at the attachment on the bottom. It comes from people you know so it has thrown people. It is dangerous cause it's a backdoor trojan with keycapture to capture credit card number, passwords, etc. When someone opens the infected email, they may not believe anything has happened cause they get a fairly normal looking error message and close it without ever thinking about it. Mcafee's got some good online viruscleaning stuff that's worth it.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor