User Tag List

For Those About To Rock...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow optimizing each page?

Hi,

I own an online soccer jersey store - www.spotlightsoccer.com. The header.inc.php file is optimized to a degree, as is the index page. However, I desperately need to get each specific page on the store, for each specific product, optimized as well. The problem is that with Cubecart, or I guess any templated type store, is that the header.inc.php file remains the header on each page within your store. It's important to me that I be able to put meta tags/descriptions relating to each particular product - as many people search for specific jerseys - i.e. 'brazil soccer jersey' or 'manchester united jersey' as opposed to just 'soccer jerseys'. Obviously, I want people to enter my store from as many different pages as possible, not just the index page. The store is getting good traffic (check msn.com for 'soccer jerseys') from search engines and froogle, but often potential customers' interest isn't as piqued by the index page as from arriving at a page specific to their search...

The problem, of course, is that I have absolutely NO IDEA how to have what basically amounts to a different header for each page on the store, especially with the somewhat rigid template of Cubecart.

Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that I know absolutely zilch about scripting? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    John Holland
    Join DNCollective today!!
    http://www.dncollective.com

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with Cubecart. osCommerce has various extensions/modifications that you can add to have this kind of behavior. Zen Cart has this kind of thing built in (Zen cart is partially built off of osCommerce). Cubecart may have something similar.

Scripting would be the alternative - if you're not familiar with it, the best solution (if you have a budget for it) may be to pay someone to make some modifications. (Cubecart seems to list 3rd parties willing to sell their services related to the software.) Generally it would involve loading some of the product information into your meta elements and ensuring your title of each page has the optimal text.

Remember that meta elements aren't used by Google and are pretty flaky to begin with -- I wouldn't put too much energy into those if the rest of the site is fairly well-optimized.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The meta keyword and description tags really don't do anything relating to actual search engine rank, so don't really worry about them. Instead make sure the page name and H1 or header tag on the page describe the product. On our e-commerce website, we use the full product name and append "at 2 Big Feet .com" at the end (notice the spaces so "big" and "feet" are seperate words).

It works really well and has landed us top positions in Google and Yahoo for dozens of product searches even though we only sell large sizes of the products we carry. Check out the following search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...unham+bradford

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny6
    ... especially with the somewhat rigid template of Cubecart.
    You're right, having done an installation for a client a while back, I seem to recall the title tag has a promotion of Cubecart left in it, as part of the licencing deal. I assume that's still the case. Not ideal for SEO.

But modifying the header include is only a 20 minute job if you get hold of a php nerd, or do it yourself... And, agreed, there's no need to worry about meta tags, title and headers only. Best of luck.