SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be important to define this hypothetical ebook more clearly.

Is this book simply being over-priced to create the illusion that it has incredible value (but is actually a load of old rubbish), or are we talking about a book that seriously does contain content that the author genuinely believes is worth $1000 a pop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    As for a $1000 book - I can see how that could happen if it was a very niche topic for a select market.
    For instance, have a look at this webpage ...
    http://www.cmswatch.com/TheCMSReport/

this is an e-book "report" which reviews major commercial CMS's ..... a single license sells for well over $1500.
    But, the report on the whole is excellent ... you can download a few sample chapters and see ... If someone can publish e-books of this quality with the target audience being the financially well-off population, then $1000 is not a big deal.
    Accepting Offers: NicheLabs.com - ExploringVOIP.com
    StableJob.com - AboutUniversities.com - Gemstone.co.in
    Assets.co.in - PropertyDealers.org - MortgageFirms.org
    eLearner.org - TravelResorts.info - TourstoAsia.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a particular "self claimed internet guru" who sells his ebook for $200. The ebook sells. i've read the ebook and it simply gives a system for how to become a super affiliate by using systems he describes in the book to promote his ebook.

so he is charging people to learn how to market his ebook. nevertheless, he didn't sell the ebook for $20 or $50. he is selling it at $200, and it appears like it is selling, although i don't know how many chargebacks there are, or how much money he has actually made from it.

i think the price / value equation is very important. if it is too cheap, then people don't perceive value. if it is too expensive, then people won't take the chance of buying it to find out if it has value.

we price our ebooks at $17, and find that people are quite happy to spend $17 for our information. we could probably sell our ebooks at $20 or $30 and get a similar conversion rate, and perhaps we'll try that in the future.

however, for anyone to start paying over $50 for an ebook, they would expect a huge amount of value from the book. if you want to go outside the bubble, perhaps try charge $200 or $250, but i wouldn't advise starting off even higher.

although there are enough people in the world using the net, that you just might find someone to take a chance on your ebooks at that price.
    Using Google Adsense? - You can make more with Adsense!
    Learn the Big 3 Giant Tips - www.AdsenseGiant.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahd
    I think its too high, simply because someone with $1000 to drop on an ebook probably has sufficient investments and/or other capital gains and the education/smarts to know what is and isn't; and will not fall for it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if you made something like 1 sale for every million targeted visitor or so.

Personally, I wouldn't read one of these ebooks, even if you paid me to do it.
    You think so ? A guy who has bought an ebook has in fact paid it 5000$ because his revenue is in millions: wealth is relative you know . Now after spending 50000$ in useless ebooks he has stopped and even sued some ebooks publishers to get his money back . You know why he bought it ? Because it was publicised in a prestigious investment mag.

You want an example: turtle method 1999$
    http://tinyurl.com/6qu5f

The guy is known among knowledgeable traders to be a false tortoise but you don't know it so ...
    In fact the turtle method is not suitable for small traders and doesn't work in churning market that's why one turtle has decided to release it for free notably because he was angry that the site above sells it. The money garantee is an illusion because it requires that you followed everything in details and proves it which is practically improbable .

There are several guys promoting this method and typically they use this story:
    'Learn the Market Wizard Secrets of a TURTLE TRADER. Market Wizard RICHARD DENNIS traded $400 into US$200 million* then taught 22 novices to be successful "Turtle Traders"'

I certify that the story is true (published in Wall Street Journal notably) it's not a legend Richard Denis is well known.

Now think about the average Joe thinking in his head: "spending 1000$ for a chance to win millions per year" sure it can attract some
    Last edited by laura2005; May 16, 2005 at 08:40.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalecom
    Following on from a similar thread....

Nowdays you see many ebooks selling, for example, an ebook about google adsense. These ebook are generally sold for $50 (a guess).
    What if you saw an ebook promissing the world, as they all do, but. It cost $1000.

Would a customer, "wow, that book must be worth it or he wouldnt have the audacity to sell it for $1000" ?

Sure, you wouldnt sell loads of these, but you may get the odd one or two customers a month willing to stump up that sort of cash which would make it more proffitable then selling 10 ebooks at $50.

Im not saying I condone this or am considering doing this, its just interesting to see people's oppinions on the effect of pricing etc;

Its like seeing a pc for sale at $500 or one at $1000; to the un-savvy person, the more expensive one looks like a better pc.

I think I would buy it, if there was a good guarantee, something in the order of 6 months at least.

Plus I would like to be assured of a return of atleast $1000 in the 6-8 months from which I buy it, and the potential for that income to be repeatedly created each and every year.
    Last edited by bender; May 16, 2005 at 12:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends on the content of the book if the book has something new which profits you then its a worth purchasing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an anecdote about a shopkeeper who had a bunch of jewelry that wasn't selling. The shopkeeper was going out of town for the weekend and left a note to her assistant that said "Jewelry in this case * 1/2" the assistant misread it as "jewelry in this case * 2" and doubled the price. When the shopkeeper returned most of the jewelry had sold.

The moral of the story: people have a perception that expensive = good.

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be worth a shot just to get some free publicity. Set an outrageous price for an ebook, and maybe people will post about it in their blogs, and get you some traffic to your site.

Ooh, brainstorm ... taking that idea a step further ... set a $1,000 price for the ebook, and then subvertly release it onto the web ... so that people will "pirate" it, passing it around and sending it to their friends, just because they've found this extremely "valuable" ebook ... when all along that was your whole purpose, to get people to pass around and read your ebook, just to get some site popularity or get your name out there. Y'know, a viral marketing kinda deal. Might work ... plus, you never know, someone might actually buy it, and that'd just be a huge bonus.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....If someone paid $200.000 to have lunch with Warren Buffett...anything is possible

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 1k is a lot for any "info material". However it's been done by a lot of those internet marketing "guru's".

John Reeses traffic secrets - 1k

Mark Joyners Farewell package -2 k or something like that.

Both of those included video's or other tools as well, but I can't see it being worth what they paid for it.

Many people trying to find the "easy" way to riches fall prey to these expensive e-books, and they will keep buying.....it's just part of human nature I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please dun waste our time...haha...i wont work...
    Calling all Webmasters & Affiliates
    Top Converting PC TV Offer - High Payout. Earn $2K-10K a month.
    Increase your revenue today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been changing the price of my ebook around a bit, and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Admittedly though only small changes, and nothing like $1000. I mean, look at the Sitepoint Design Business kit. That was completely overpriced and a load of crap, but people still bought it - largely due to having Sitepoint's name on it, I expect.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to know what the optimum pricing for an e-book (or any digital product) is there is a simple solution to find out.

Do split testing at various price points, analyze the results and price the product accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchase an e book for 950.00 once! The PR and Marketing Tips and tricks in that book made me 10000K in the first month

Yes, I am more willing to spend more than less! How much returns could a book worth 50 bucks generate???

SitePoint Enthusiast SheWritesCopy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    I think one of the problems is that ebooks have a poor reputation. There are literally tens of thousands of ebooks that contain nothing more than re-hashes of forum posts. But you could say the same for a lot of 'real' books - for example, the php v1 and 2 books on Sitepoint contain nothing you couldn't find for free on forums and free tutorial sites (and the php manual) - but you are paying your money to have a php expert sift through all that info and arrange the cream of it in one convienient place for you.

Of course that doesn't justify charging stupid money for it - but assuming an ebook contains highly valuable information and has been reviewed and condoned by industry experts, I cannot see why you could not charge huge sums for it, especially if it was targeted to a selective audience and certainly if the info contained within the book was worth considerable $$$ to your business.
    I agree. There are a few great points here. You need credibility which can be achieved by testimonials or someone well known plugging your ebook. You also need to have your market targeted specifically for your reading/buying audience. Your ebook needs to speak directly to your audience in such a way they feel they're loosing out if they don't buy it. Once your reader is plugged in and associates the benefits of your ebook to their needs, you have a sale. In addition to the ebook, offer a freebie or 2 of additional helpful information, that adds perceived value to your ebook offering.

While I don't know anyone who would pay 1000 bucks for just an ebook, there are thousands of people who will pay hundreds and not bat an eye over it.
    Anita Franklin
    PowerHouseCopy.com
    Creating copy that works as hard as you do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foodbiz
    I purchase an e book for 950.00 once! The PR and Marketing Tips and tricks in that book made me 10000K in the first month

Yes, I am more willing to spend more than less! How much returns could a book worth 50 bucks generate???
    Which book did you bought for 950.00? Url?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foodbiz

You made $10,000,000 in one month?
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can spend 200000 in a university career,
    30000 in a 1 week seminar,
    1000 in 1000 lotery tickets (as someone said here),
    800 in a broken car,
    600 in a bottle of wine
    etcétera.

Whats the difference? You are not buying none of that, but solutions, benefits, hope, and dreams.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Defining a product

There are almost too many variables that are undefined in this hypothetical to really say whether something should be priced in high figures. However, we have the same question asked about our software all the time.

I work for NetSuite in Australia and as you possibly might know, the cheapest version of NetSuite is $AU2,000 per annum -- it is rented and now sold. Some small businesses come along and state that this is far too much and so they go and purchase MYOB, Outlook, and about another three of four programmes. They also have to run a local server and so go and buy a server and so it goes. We have done the sums over and over with people that if they buy NSSB at $2,000 they do not have to have a business server, they do not need someone to come and set it up, nor do they need an IT staff etc. Which is better value.

Today in my blog I notice at least one business is on top of the world because someone saved them the money in not having to have an IT staff etc. Then again, there are other people that want to spend no more than $800 for each pience of software and so are about to spend a whole heap.

Ultimately I think it boils down to what a person sees as valuable and reasonable. It varies from person to person.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it has the uniqueness and rare quality within it then price not matter. As those customers one who can understand the quality is not free, they can buy the product.

Overall it also requires the salesmanship to sell out the product by way of creating and showing the need of the particular products to ultimate customers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't $197 for the Search Engine Marketing Kit an example of prestige pricing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a Single user PDF at USD 5,994.00 http://www.businessinfo.ws/archive/BIAACAFS.shtml ?
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price affects value perception but does not excuse the necessity to deliver on that perceived value.
    Scriptalicious SEO Scripts
    Save 20% with coupon code SPROCKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford a $1000 book about how to make money, you already have enough money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demosfen
    If you can afford a $1000 book about how to make money, you already have enough money
    That is not true. First of all it is hard to say what "enough" money is. But if you have a lot of money, it would be a good thing to invest it in something that will make you more.
    Maarten