Thread: Dynamic Caching

SitePoint Enthusiast DamienGiles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic Caching

Hi,

I've been looking around for ideas to implement into a Root system to build as a stock whilst implementing and building new sites.

I'm looking around for a solid implmentation into Dynamic Caching of certain data sections of a page.

I understand the basic principles of building a page caching system which can output the whole page but what i'm really interested is how others go about implementing dynamic caching routines?

e.g. For a sites index.php page, which would have news sections, rss feeds, latest forum topics... All of these diffrent data sources could potentionally be more active then others... so having the cache of forum posts set lower than that of rss feeds would be ideal for e.g.

What I can't really get my head around even with simple caching is you have a page that would either print "Login" if the user wasn't logged in or "Welcome, Damien" if you you were... this couldn't be cached as serving the page to another user who may never of visited the page before would be presented with "Welcome, Damien".

I understand templating systems such as Smarty can do this... but i'm interesting in the idea behind it (pref. OOP/PHP5).

Any links to non-Smarty implementations are warmly welcomed.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by DamienGiles; May 14, 2005 at 16:58. Reason: sp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a search for template in the application design forum, it has been discussed multiple times and you will surely find much of the answers you are looking for.

Usually caching is done on the final HTML ouput of a section which is saved on disk and loaded right where it belongs instead of parsing all the data again. Caching is to be used on pages or sections that don't change aften over a period of time. The time period is generally variable by the system. It is also a way to keep the load down on system ressources on active sites.