SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass The Fool On

Where I live, in Ireland, there use to be a practise among tradesmen of ‘passing the fool on.’

There were two common versions in my area: the tradesman would write a note and send his new apprentice to a local merchant to obtain an un-existent piece of equipment. The merchant of course knowing what was happening would tell the hapless apprentice that he didn’t stock that particular article and suggest that he try another store and so the poor young lad would be sent around the town on a fools errant.

The second was where the apprentice would be sent to the hardware merchant to obtain a rubber hammer and glass nails! Needless to say they were only caught once. I don’t think modern apprentices would be caught so easily and anyway the practise would probably be considered not PC.

My reason for mentioning the above is that I consider myself an apprentice in the field of affiliate marketing, having been at the game for less than six months. I know I have a long way to go before I become a qualified tradesman.

Sitting at my computer, trying to figure out how do I attract punters to my site I’m almost knocked down by the mass of people wanting to sell me their secret: the quick way to internet riches. All promising to make my computer a virtual money machine – and with very little effort, why I can earn thousands of dollars a week.

Of course they have other points in common they all seem on one big long scrolling page with various words and phrases highlighted here and there just in case I miss the message. And they all seem to be selling the sure way to computer riches at a discount.

Now on numerous occasions I’ve been tempted to press the button and see what it is all about, thankfully in those weak moment I had not my credit card to hand. When I think about it I convince myself that it’s just a modern version of ‘send the fool on.’ Marketer ‘A’ gets his $’s worth and then I travel on to Marketer ‘B’ again with no result and the circle gets wider.

Elsewhere on this sight there is a tremendous tread abut Joe Comm and ‘What Google Never Told You About Making Money From AdSense.’ That’s just one of the internet e-books that I’ve come across and I mention it purely and simpley because it has appeared on this site. My question do members feel these e-books have anything to offer the new apprentices or are they just a modern version of passing the fool on?

Kevin

http://www.abcwritersnetwork.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blarney.
    :

:

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no tried and true secrets that you can't learn on your own by reading threads on the affiliate marketing boards for a few months. Basically most of these books just save you some rampup time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mancroft
    Blarney.
    Not really - but I am a creative writer

Kevin
    An indispensable resource for creative writers
    Know of a writers competion? Drop me a note

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin 22
    My question do members feel these e-books have anything to offer the new apprentices or are they just a modern version of passing the fool on?
    I have never purchased anykind of ebook before, but from what I have heard it is a case of 'I have fooled you, now you fool others if you want to make money'

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont waste your time with these ebooks!

You will learn much more and more important things in a more fun way by hanging around on forums like these. And its absolutely free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably 99% of those eBooks have no unique content whatsoever, but are just reprocessed information that you can find for free elsewhere on the internet. I've heard of people investing literally thousands of dollars in "make money online" eBooks, and getting very little or nothing out of it.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what Fahd and WealthStream have already said.

Probably 99.9 percent of "gurus" selling you those - make money quick books are making tons of money, selling you the money making books .

The only e-book that i don't regret spending my money on - is one i bought just recently.

And i don't regret spending that money because i made ten times my investment back the very next day ... but then again it was not a make money quick guide. Just a detailed explanation of something i never had to deal with in my 7 plus years online.

As tempting as those sales letters are, don't give in. Forums like this, will teach you more than any e-book you can every buy.... I guarantee that .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of what has been said, the old adage holds true: -'if something appears to good to be true, then it's probally not true.'

There always is an 'however,' so let's get it over and done with....However while I understand that all of the information these e-books contain is available (if you know what you are looking for) online does it not make a certain sense to pay someone - the ebook author - to gether it all together for you in one place? I'm assuming that there is not much difference between one of these books and another. And if it does make sense which one.

I've read Ken McEvoys free Affiliate Masters Course and found it very informative and if that is the standard of material available then it is pretty good, but it would be wishful thinking to expect that standard across the board. Which brings me to my next point. What e-books have any of you read? which did you find informative and which would you recommend and which would you avoid like the plague? Remember if you're selling the book to declare an interest

When replying remember what Kinsgley Amis said: ‘If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing.’

Kevin
    An indispensable resource for creative writers
    Know of a writers competion? Drop me a note

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first e-book a few weeks back. I found it in a link in some guy's sig here at site point. The book promissed to teach me some amazing magic trix, and just a few days later I was fooling all my friends with my new magic powers bought over the internet for 10 bucks. Best 10 bucks I ever spent

I am not too sure about those get reach quick books though. There are of course some get rich quick trix out there that works but they are definitely not for sale for 10$