SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Cookie Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cookie Problem

I am having problems with cookies on my laptop.

When I bought it (second-hand) I totally reformatted the HDD and reinstalled Win 98 SE. When I visit a site now, I can browse etc, but when trying to log in, (SPF is OK and a few others are also) I am refused access/logged straight back out because no cookie is set, although all my settings in Internet Options > Security > Advanced are set to Enable for both instances of cookies. Also, when I change these settings to "Prompt" I AM prompted, but the cookie isn't set.

The problem was in the running when I was using IE 5, and I even tried upgrading to IE 5.5 today, but with no difference.

Any ideas? There are some cookies in Windows\Cookies but even if I try deleting them the problem still persists. Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if upgrading did not fix the issue try this.

First download the IE5.5 sp2 setup file
    Located here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

After you have the setup file on your local machine goto this website and download the appropriate IEradicator for your Operating System.

http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html

Running IEradicator will COMPLETELY eliminate every trace of Internet Explorer from Windows. Be sure to export your bookmarks first before running IEradicator.

After you eliminate IE goto IE5.5 sp2 setup file and run it. The advantage to this is normally IE is patched over and over again sometimes making it unstable. With this process you will get a one time solid build of Internet Explorer. This should fix your issue.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved.

Solution: Check the date on your computer -- if it has jumped forward on it's own, cookies won't set

DOH!