SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that run VBB, or VBB developers

NOTE:Originally posted in General Chat Forum. Sorry I did not know where to post it.

Ive decided Im going to create a VB graphic resource. After looking around for a site that had VB targeted graphics, I decided there really wasn't one.

It will be strictly VB buttons, smilies, and so on. Anything a VB customer would want for graphic customization, but is too lazy to make of their own.

The only thing I want to check first is that no one else is working on such a project, and that users of VB would find it useful. Also, once its finished and I bring it here to be critiqued , I'd like to get the VB developers opinions on allowing me to run a free VB for this site. (I own 3 licenses for VB now, can't afford another. But to have a site targeted at VB and not have a VB forum would be just plain idiotic. lol) They would of course be able to check the site first, and see if its worth their while. Heck, they could remotely host it on the VB server since its so very product related.

Any comments are welcome.
    Last edited by c-pr0mpt; Jun 20, 2001 at 03:15.
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c-prompt - Even though I do all my own graphic work, I would love to see a site dedicated to the content you proposed. I am an avid supporter of vBulletin ( you are referring to vBulletin arent you? ) and the script was written to lend itself to all sorts of advanced customization.

Sounds like it would be a great resource for the non artistic, assuming that you plan to do more than just the average color changing of the existing imagery. After all, the developers already offer a self contained DK for all the buttons, icons, smilies etc in .psd format.

I would also like to see what the developers have to say regarding your suggestion.
    Messiah | Ink-Press: web publishing simplified!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Yes. We would not only have all the normal things, but also more and have the option for users to attach their own in a designated forum to be added to the database.

Will have more than just buttons. Custom smilies, Avatars (listed by size, since many sites want to keep a certain size limit in pixels), and anything else. We will have logos in .psd format for users to download and add their own names to, and so on. You name it, we'll probably implement it.

I too make my own graphics, but so many A. dont have time, B. Are strictly coders with no abilities in graphics, C. Dont have Photoshop or anything to make their own, or customize their own, D. Just dont care enough to make there own, but if there were some would love to use them.

The domain I am purchasing for this project will be
    www.vbulletingfx.com
    ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c-prompt - Sounds like you have already given this project quite a bit of pre-thought. So on that I commend you. If there is anyone that should take on such a project, you would definately get my vote.

You mentioned that you too make your own graphics, so are you strictly a desinger? Or do you have coding, scripting abilities as well? Do you plan to build a dynamic site for this project? Ie. php / mySql driven?

I think the more details you list, the more interest you can generate. Not too mention you want the approval of the vB dev team.
    Messiah | Ink-Press: web publishing simplified!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super idea. I would love to see the site and I know a lot of others that would use it to. VBulletin has garnered the interest of many people (including yours truly) and im sure the site would be well accepted by VB users.

Now just make sure you register the domain ASAP!

Good luck and keep us informed of how things are going
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. The site will be php/mysql driven. Im still torn on whether or not I will create a new setup for this, or customize a VB with added templates, and so on to accomplish the image database. All of this I will decide within the next couple of days.

Either way Im going to create this site. It would just be alot better to have the "ok" from the developers. If they cant help out with the forum, I will just simply buy a year lease, or change over one of my existing VBs to this new site. And put up yabb or something to take its place.

What it comes down to is this. I love web design, and graphic design. I had a job for a local bands site. Purchased a server a year in advance. They then broke up leaving me with the server and nothing to do with it. So I was thinking of what sort of php/mysql driven site I could setup that would actually serve a purpose. Im not out to make money or anything. Then I thought about how much I loved VBulletin, and how there really wasnt a graphic resource site for it. Voila, the idea was created. I work full time installing @home cable internet. But besides that, Im a computer "nerd". I want an ongoing project that will serve a purpose.
    ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't you should send an email to john@vbulletin.com if you are looking for approval from the devs.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed him early this morning. Thanks for the link and tip.
    ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure np
    Kevin

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    If you haven't you should send an email to john@vbulletin.com if you are looking for approval from the devs.
    I also sent an email to the guys at VB when I created www.vbulletinsites.com They had no problems with it.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WONDERFUL IDEA!
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com