SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast service@musiccds's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Is This Website Ranked So High In Google?

Hi,

I noticed that the website below is ranked #2 in google under the keyword "smileys"

http://members.aol.com/bearpage/smileys.htm

can anyone please let me know how it is ranked so high? i checked the PR and it's PR0 and the content of the page is very poor

Oh and is their any way i can contact the webmaster of this page ?

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its PR 5, not 0. There are 29 links to it according to google and 396 on alltheweb. All competition for that keyword have similar ranks so keyword is not very competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean, keyword 'Smileys' is not very competitive!?
    I wished that my Web site was ranked nr. 1 in Google for 'Smileys'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL keyword "Smileys" is very competitive! , if i was ranked #2 in google under Smileys i would be making over $10,000 per month

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAlien
    Its PR 5, not 0. There are 29 links to it according to google and 396 on alltheweb. All competition for that keyword have similar ranks so keyword is not very competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give you a clue to why this site rank so well :

You are the 2025162 visitor to my site since May 8th 1996

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that! but how did his webpage get so popular ?

Quote Originally Posted by Venix
    I will give you a clue to why this site rank so well :

You are the 2025162 visitor to my site since May 8th 1996

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me what did you know? Because I don't think you understood the most important clue I gave you

Try again,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the keyword smileys doesnt look so competetive. I can`t find reasons why exactly this page is so high in Google may be it has very qualitative backlinks... no other ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant is that the site has been online since 1996. This will help the site rank well. Sites that have been online for a long time very often rank much better than new sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site lists 356 links in Yahoo. It is widely accepted that Yahoo shows a more accurate backlink count than google. The power of these links though comes from 2 things.

1. The sites linking to it. (many are also in the same or similar fields).

2. The anchor text of those links.

Add to the fact the site is well established in time and you have a so called comptetive search term that is not actually that hard to compete for.

If you concentrate on your on site optimization and make sure that is in order and then you build links to you your site from like minded sites using good and varied anchor text then you too can do well in a reasonably short space of time.

Simon

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel32
    What do you mean, keyword 'Smileys' is not very competitive!?
    I wished that my Web site was ranked nr. 1 in Google for 'Smileys'!
    Don't confuse traffic with competition. All websites that target "smileys" keyword have PR 5 or lower. So that keyword is not very competitive. Competitive is when websites in top 10 results have no less than PR 6.

Quote Originally Posted by service@musiccds
    LOL keyword "Smileys" is very competitive! , if i was ranked #2 in google under Smileys i would be making over $10,000 per month
    But you don't have a decent website to rank. Your website has absolutely no content and just a page with affiliate links. So its a useless junk website. Without a content you won't get anywhere at all.

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only think that I can say is it has tons of backlinks. Also its No 1 in yahoo for the same keyword.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc
    It is widely accepted that Yahoo shows a more accurate backlink count than google.

Simon
    I'm not sure it's a question of accuracy, simply a reflection of the different criteria for counting backlinks - and all filter in some way.

The total count for each engine doesn't matter as much as what they do with it...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many cases I've found that PR 6 sites don't even beat PR 5 (or even 4) sites for the same keywords, when both seem to be optimized well. Does age have an effect in that situation? I thought PR would tip the scale among well optimized sites.
    Paul Larson
    Creative Arc, Inc. - Minneapolis Web Design
    http://www.creativearc.com
    ArcLog: Resource for running a web business prime beef

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

i added content to my site http://www.free-smileys.net/

Please let me know what you think.

But you don't have a decent website to rank. Your website has absolutely no content and just a page with affiliate links. So its a useless junk website. Without a content you won't get anywhere at all.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    backlinks
    Kevin
    Apache-Forum.com Apache-Forum.com

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creativearc
    I thought PR would tip the scale among well optimized sites.
    If they were equal in every other way, sure. But that rarely affects the top rankings if ever.

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by service@musiccds
    i added content to my site http://www.free-smileys.net/

Please let me know what you think.
    [/QUOTE]
    You just added few keywords. Its not a content, but spam. Content is when you offer something useful and your website usefullness is none. Your website is no better than spam that everyone gets in their email, except that you spam search engines instead of email. I hope google has some filters against such junk websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Do offer something useful , i offer free Downloads! my site is not spam

You just added few keywords. Its not a content, but spam. Content is when you offer something useful and your website usefullness is none. Your website is no better than spam that everyone gets in their email, except that you spam search engines instead of email. I hope google has some filters against such junk websites.[/QUOTE]

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you don't. You just put affiliate link. That's not offering download. Offering download is when user downloads from your website, not by clicking on affiliate link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehee... can it a little bit more friendly here!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just added few keywords. Its not a content, but spam. Content is when you offer something useful and your website usefullness is none. Your website is no better than spam that everyone gets in their email, except that you spam search engines instead of email. I hope google has some filters against such junk websites.
    Maybe you call it SPAM! I know people using the same concept and making $3000 per month through Search Engines. This means that plenty of visitors consider it as 'useful' and therefore download the Free Smileys!

A simple landingpage for the service you offer is many times more effective then a lot of information with good content. Though theoretical I agree with you!

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, and people probably making about same or even more money by sending spam emails to all possible addresses they can collect. Doesn't matter if it provides money or not - spam is spam and its disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel32
    A simple landingpage for the service you offer
    "you offer"? He (and same goes for your website that is exactly the same as his website) doesn't offer any service. Its just an affiliate link, not a service.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While some of these methods may work for now to generate income and higher PR, as we know, google is continuing to refine its ranking algorithms. If a site is nothing but an affiliate, google will probably at some point recognize that, and decrease that site's ranking in favour of the actual site, or a site with its own content. If you're not providing something to your visitors, then I don't think you should rate highly at all. A link to another site is not providing something useful, providing content and a link to another site for more information is.
    Reduce or eliminate spam on your sites without CAPTHCAs
    - maybe it is possible: http://formantispam.thekerrs.ca/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberAlien
    Yep, and people probably making about same or even more money by sending spam emails to all possible addresses they can collect. Doesn't matter if it provides money or not - spam is spam and its disgusting.

"you offer"? He (and same goes for your website that is exactly the same as his website) doesn't offer any service. Its just an affiliate link, not a service.
    I still think you don't get the point here to be honest! :'(

Spam means receiving 'unwanted' information from someone by email only!

When someone is looking for 'free smileys' through a Search Engine and finds a Web site with a high ranking which offers the 'free smileys' he/she is looking for it's absolutely not Spam! There is even NO relation with Spam here!!
    Therefore you must be very careful calling other Web sites Spam.

If you don't like the content of certain Web sites, that's what you have to deal with! Again if some people are making thousands of dollars doing so, that means that their service is appealing otherwise they were not able to make so much money!

You mentioned: "It's just an affiliate link not a service" -
    That's incorrect: if you look carefully then you will see a page with content. In order to download the 'free smileys' you need to click on the button and 'only' then you will be directed to the advertiser!

Anyway, your commotion made other forum members interested and checked out my Web site with as result a few extra downloads from this forum yesterday. Thanks man!