SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feel like making a new site

feel like making a site this weekend.

which site wud u guyz reccommend , a site runnin adds that wud give some desent $$$.

i am quite new to this business, so i dont know the insideouts, so lets hear what u guyz have to say.

i have a dual xeon with 4gb ram server so the new site is jus waiting to get born

so let me know in detail plz what site , what category site, etcetc i shud make so i can get most out of the adds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /subscribe
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

SitePoint Evangelist davesplace1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your hobbies? Make a site about what you know, thats the best way to make cash in the short and long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Read all the other posts in this forum with the same question.

2. Understand there is no correct answer.

3. Understand the replys vary depending on the person asking the question too.

4. If it was as simple as saying "Make a site like this, and you`ll make good money" don't you think everyone would do it themselves and NOT share?

5. Do you really expect people to give you THEIR ideas for you to make a site out of and make money?

People on this site are great to help you when you need it but asking questions like what site should I make so I can make money are vague, and don't do well.

If you read all the posts in this category/forum (affiliate) on SitePoint you WILL know the insideouts of this Start reading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddW
    1. Read all the other posts in this forum with the same question.

2. Understand there is no correct answer.

3. Understand the replys vary depending on the person asking the question too.

4. If it was as simple as saying "Make a site like this, and you`ll make good money" don't you think everyone would do it themselves and NOT share?

5. Do you really expect people to give you THEIR ideas for you to make a site out of and make money?

People on this site are great to help you when you need it but asking questions like what site should I make so I can make money are vague, and don't do well.

If you read all the posts in this category/forum (affiliate) on SitePoint you WILL know the insideouts of this Start reading

i agree!!!
    it is a great feeling to help someone who are in need of information and giving out the best solutions but i think it is you,who, can give the answer on your own of what business in real life situation that people will grab the opportunity to render the product and or services you will provide.
    hope you think the better one!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesplace1
    What are your hobbies? Make a site about what you know, thats the best way to make cash in the short and long term.
    This really is one of the best things you could do..
    Tyler Cruz
    TylerCruz.com
    PublisherSpot.com: Professional Reviews of Ad Networks

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    du u half 2 right lyke a reetard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    du u half 2 right lyke a reetard

i dont get it . LOL ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by incurable
    i dont get it . LOL ..
    Reed tha firsst poost.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dam, you must bee using the same spell checker I am. mine keeps making miss steaks two...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by budhanes
    dam, you must bee using the same spell checker I am. mine keeps making miss steaks two...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesplace1
    I beg to differ. If your hobby is cross stitch and you go make a site on that it's going to take you a whole lot more traffic to make money than a site say on finance or hosting.

I started with something I love - cats - and it is bringing in a nice stream of revenue now - but it's taken four years for me to get it there. I have sites now on things that don't mean much to me (emotionally speaking) and it's a lot easier to get revenue. Basically the eCPM on those sites is much higher.

Of course if your hobby happens to be stocks or web hosting and you can write a site choke full of original content on that...
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnetworks

which site wud u guyz reccommend , a site runnin adds that wud give some desent $$$.

i am quite new to this business, so i dont know the insideouts, so lets hear what u guyz have to say.

i have a dual xeon with 4gb ram server so the new site is jus waiting to get born

so let me know in detail plz what site , what category site, etcetc i shud make so i can get most out of the adds.
    I think you'd get a better response if you tried a different approach to this question, rather than "HAY GUYZ HOW DO I MAKE MONEYS AT THE INTERNETZ LOLZ"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnetworks

A spelling site would be cool. Seems there are lots of people that have problems with spelling. Could be a learning experience too!
    I run an insurance company directory at InsuranceCompanies.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try making another search engine like Google, or an auction site like eBay.. but that market has pretty much been monopolized and oversaturated - making a high quality crossstitching site will get you your own niche...

Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    I beg to differ. If your hobby is cross stitch and you go make a site on that it's going to take you a whole lot more traffic to make money than a site say on finance or hosting.

I started with something I love - cats - and it is bringing in a nice stream of revenue now - but it's taken four years for me to get it there. I have sites now on things that don't mean much to me (emotionally speaking) and it's a lot easier to get revenue. Basically the eCPM on those sites is much higher.

Of course if your hobby happens to be stocks or web hosting and you can write a site choke full of original content on that...
    Tyler Cruz
    TylerCruz.com
    PublisherSpot.com: Professional Reviews of Ad Networks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read this it made me think about a site that I saw for sale a few years ago on ebay... the site was started because this person couldn't find the different types of yarn that she needed for her "hobby", so she started a website selling all different types of yarn... the site ended up selling thousands of dollars per month in yarn and the owner decided to sell, because as far as I know they didn't really want to be running a business, just wanted a place where she could buy the specific yarn she needed. Anyhow, my point being... even a cross-stitch / yarn site can make some good $$$$ I don't recall how long the site took to be making thousands monthly, though.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Enthusiast VeteranAndy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    write what you know, people always want to here expertise..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the best idea is to figure out a problem you've had, then solve it because you're definitely not alone in that problem. The example is the yarn one. Maybe you didn't know how to do this one thing with this one specific system. Make a website that specific. Although I must say my website (GamersMark) started as a hobby and still kinda is.
    Oz
    GamersMark - On Target Gaming
    OzTheory - Programming and Web Solutions
    AmIBlocked - Check if you've been blocked on IM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k
    When I read this it made me think about a site that I saw for sale a few years ago on ebay... the site was started because this person couldn't find the different types of yarn that she needed for her "hobby", so she started a website selling all different types of yarn... the site ended up selling thousands of dollars per month in yarn and the owner decided to sell, because as far as I know they didn't really want to be running a business, just wanted a place where she could buy the specific yarn she needed. Anyhow, my point being... even a cross-stitch / yarn site can make some good $$$$ I don't recall how long the site took to be making thousands monthly, though.
    Well you need to put X amount of time per order, regardless of what you ship. I think your cut for a $1000 digital camera is probably bigger than for a large shipment of yarn which could end up being a whopping $20. I made a very large purchase a couple of months ago of yarn, needles, special bags and what not from an online cross stitch shop. Ended up spending $80 but I know for a fact it took the owner a long time and quite a lot of hassle to get all of the bits and pieces together. She ended up sending me some extras too for the wait. My point is, small things is smaller money.

Personally, I didn't even think about ecommerce, more about conent sites. Ecommerce is way too much hassle for me - but that's just me.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some people need to grow up, one person making fun of his typing is kind of enough, it just gets old after that.

there's a magic place called google, why don't you search around there, check what's popular, which terms have alot of results, the pagerank of those sites, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also never know when your subject, no matter how niche-y, will get a boost in the news or through everyday events.

When Martha Stuart was released from prison she was wearing a crochet poncho made by one of the other prisoners. People loved it! She anounced it was made with Lion Brand yarn. A day or so later they added the pattern to their website. Site traffic boomed and sales shot up by 39% for the month.

What if your site was number two in Google for "Lion Brand" or "yarn", right under lionbrand.com at number one? You would no doubt have made some money even with a yarn content site running Adsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you need to put X amount of time per order, regardless of what you ship. I think your cut for a $1000 digital camera is probably bigger than for a large shipment of yarn which could end up being a whopping $20.
    On a related note and just to throw it out there, the margin on video games, cartridges, and computer software is very, very thin.

The margin on big-ticket items (TVs, higher-end cameras, decent PCs, monitors, etc.) is quite nice.

And a surprise for you: computer cables are marked up considerably (try about 4x to 6x) as are some supplies but most prices are low (except some KVM and most SCSI).

Anyone else know of margins on products from working retail in their (younger) years?