SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can u trust when they lie!

Ok we are all doing same thing laying about over performances and things that we have that is in over nature but this goes over all limits how is it posible that one company that is working on ad servih alows this big lie and how can we trust them

As they say

Code:
    Fastest Most Reliable Ad Serving
    EdgeServing™ is the fastest, most reliable ad serving system in existence. Using ZEDO's Edge of Network technology, edgeServing™ utilizes over 12,000 servers worldwide. This creates a distributed architecture that optimizes reliability with a serving speed that is five times faster than other ad serving technologies. edgeServing™ is highly scalable and efficient, making it an unparalleled low cost ad serving technology
    Yea that bold thin about 12 000 servers... If u think like this 12k ervers would cost about 6milion dolars if u buy them... and price is 500$/ unit and as they said world wide that means that they would have to rent them witch would cost them about 1.2 milion/month if they were renting them and 100$ is 1 server....
    And one of the best things is.. what is chance that u remember or evena write down 12k passwords.. evena if all of them were same wouldent that sux and what is chance and how much time would u need to configure 12k servers

Now how can we trust them....
    Not evena google doesent have 12k servers for search ... ev1 center has 20k servers and they are biggest in the world..
    There doesent exist more then 1000 datacenters in the world.. if u ask me max 100 but i never saw more then alphared ev1 theplanet rachshack and few more that would be max 20

And for final i was talcking about http://www.zedo.com/zedonew/forpublishers.htm

I hope that they think that we are idiots and some of us would realy belive in there words..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eer, you could be right, but i think google has like 10k servers around the U.S.
    How does that make your feel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, google have well over 10k servers in the USA - probably closer to around 40-50 thousand servers. Aparently they spent around $250 million on hardware alone (acording to their SEC filing end/2003), so compared to that - 6 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what the big fellas are spending.

http://www.tnl.net/blog/entry/How_many_Google_machines

Anyway, to manage 12,000 servers you wouldn't use passwords - manually entering passwords for more than 10 servers annoys me, for 500 in a cluster - it's not even an option. They probably use pub/priv key authentication, and then even then I'm sure everything is setup to allow almost minimal administration (e.g. if a server dies they probably just replace it with a new one, then figure out what went wrong with the old).

And you think they'd be paying $100 a month for server hosting with over 10k servers.. your joking right? Nobody pays that amount JUST for server hosting (remember, with dedicated hosting from places like ev1 - you're paying for tech support staff, hardware rental, and all your bandwidth and datacentre fees on-top). Generally you can get racks for as cheap as $1500 a month (44u + 4u of router/switch), or bulk wharehousing for even cheaper.

Personally I'd prefer it if you didn't make mis-informed rants It can get on peoples nerves. If you really wan't to know, phone them up and ask where their data centres are located (even a country/state would be fine), and the backbones that each feeds onto. If they say something like 'their all in NY..' then you know it's not really a huge distributed network, but if they start listing off the major european, asian and american network hubs - you know their in business.

Cheers,
    Harry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nitroy2k
    I hope that they think that we are idiots.
    Basd on ur engls. it loks lik tay migt bee rite. Lurn som engls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehehe ... well google has servers that is not a problem... but ad company that nobody talcks about... i dont belive it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could use a content delivery service like Akamai, that might get them up to technically 12,000.

Anyway, the claim is worthless. If no one has noticed a problem with the service's reliability, it doesn't matter if the whole thing is run out of a single shoe box. If the service is unreliable, it doesn't matter if their system has twice the power of the earth simulator.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all the big ad serving companies use content distribution networks or some p2p variant to expedite ad serving. So when they claim "12,000 servers" - they are being truthful, but those servers are part of a broader third party multi-purpose distribution network.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo
    Basd on ur engls. it loks lik tay migt bee rite. Lurn som engls.
    From my experience, those who make fun of other people's second language skills, can generally only speak one language themselves.

Anyone contemplating putting down someone else's English language ability, should first imagine themselves expressing a relatively complex thought in Spanish or French, or whatever they learned in high school, in a group of native speakers of that language.

Then, having thoroughly felt the embarassment, we should all bow to anyone with the ability and the bravery to do this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caia
    From my experience, those who make fun of other people's second language skills, can generally only speak one language themselves.

Anyone contemplating putting down someone else's English language ability, should first imagine themselves expressing a relatively complex thought in Spanish or French, or whatever they learned in high school, in a group of native speakers of that language.

Then, having thoroughly felt the embarassment, we should all bow to anyone with the ability and the bravery to do this.
    Respect
    Free File Hosting
    Free File Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heheh damm man u made more mistakes then i have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nitroy2k
    heheh damm man u made more mistakes then i have
    u taute mee wel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    samsm is right on the money here about Akamai or a similar service.