SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats my revenue potential?

I have had this message forum for about 5 years. I know this may sound crazy, but I am just starting to research making a couple dollars off advertising with it. At first I wrote my own software to allow people to purchase banners online and have them automatically show on vBulletin. This works fine and all, but more is always better.

My stats:
    Apr 2005
    Unique Visits
    Visits
    Page Views

Check out my horrible Google Adsense report for the past 4 days (this is a total of 4 days):
    (Mind you I am mixing google ads at a lower rate then my paying advertisers)
    Impressions
    Clicks
    Page ECPM
    $0.07
    Earnings
    $14.69

I just recently joined Burst, and started to mix in some of their CPM adds in my rotation. I havent done it a full day yet to see what my payout will be.

If I work hard at this, do I have enough site activity to generate good revenue? Any pointers? Be gentle, I am new to this whole advertising thing.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are doing something really wrong with your site.

However, without any details I have no idea what you could potentially make.

For example, some sites can pull in $50+ CPM. A PC gaming site site should do $1-$2 CPM.

Without knowing more I think you need better Adsense colors & placement

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have enough site activity, but that really isn't always the most important factor -- its traffic value. If your site is 90% Indian and Chinese traffic then you can't make much more. If its 90% US, 5% Canadian, and 5% UK and everyone is looking to buy a specific product or service then your traffic could be extremely valuable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums are notoriously hard to generate large revenues from, especially using traditional ad networks (eg. Burst/Fastclick/Casale) due to the very large number of pageviews per visitor, and the fact that most forums readers are there to read the messages, and pretty much ignore the ads.

Google AdSense can work well on some forums, there are even some hacks for vBulletin where you can add an AdSense ad between posts in a thread, which apparently can generate some nice returns (as long as it doesn't annoy your users too much).

As you seem to have been doing in the past, what is often considered the best way to make money from your forums is to get forum sponsorship, for a set fee per month from an advertiser. This way, the advertiser will get some branding, and the massive pageviews per visitor will not affect them adversely.

For a good example of "sponsored forums" take a look at the Sitepoint Forums here

Cheers

Tim

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    Site Summary of 05/12/2005
    Open the Site Summary of 05/12/2005 or the Weekly Site Summary in Microsoft Excel
    Type 	Total Views* 	Paid Views* 	Default Views* 	eCPM 	Amount Earned**
    Above the Scroll Banner 	75,951 	27,989 	49,561 	0.66 	$18.39
    Total 	75,951 	27,989 	49,561 	0.66*** 	$18.39
    My first day with Burst. $18 is much more then I make a day with Adsense. While there is a high number of unpaid views, I think I can mix my own advertising into those views better.

I also just got my Casale registration info, and will have those banner rotating here shortly. I will keep you guys updated.

The site is located in the USA, and has a large US city name in the domain name of the site. I dont want to mention the site, so I can talk freely about my earnings.
    Last edited by Bushmaster; May 13, 2005 at 08:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure you are allowed to put their ads in your forum. Many do not, and possibly not Casale.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkyboy
    Just make sure you are allowed to put their ads in your forum. Many do not, and possibly not Casale.
    I was worried about that. But, I see a few other threads in here about Casale and Burst randomly denying some forums, and accepting other forums. It's not hard to miss, the forums are the only thing that come up when you first visit my page. I was turned down by fastclick due to us being forums, but the other two accepted us right away. Infact, I spoke with someone from Burst on the phone about banner placement on my forums (We had a funny issue).