SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your missing out on web developing.

Try dreamweaver, it has support for many languages and frameworks out there, including php. I heard crimson editor was good too for php solely, but can't confirm it.

Dreamweaver is superb.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my view Dreamweaver is the best, Although I heard that notepad 2 is also good it enable fast and free text editing with syntax highlighting and other features which all are familiar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmapm
    I use a free editor called Context. I've customized the colors and options. It works well for me.
    I use Context too - really fast and efficient text-editor. Multipurpose too - I use it for other programming as well.
    Anjanesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Indetation

You are missing auto indentation.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Crimson on windows,
    kate on linux,
    They have a good colorisation scheme that help me not to commit syntax error

For database administration backend writing,
    I am using my code generation tool: www.phpbackend.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rommi
    You are missing auto indentation.
    That is something I actually wish to miss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    Are you saying you don't indent code? It is a standard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you use some special editor which has replace and other good functions then you wont waste time, Just try a good editor.

Afterall Notepad is for kids.
    Purchase any JaduSoft products in 10$ only offer ends 1st July
    Try a Live demo before you purchase, Best software.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShytKicka
    Are you saying you don't indent code? It is a standard.
    I think he just wants to implement his own indentation system rather then relying on one he does not like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadusoft.com

Notepad is hardly for kids. I can't see how you can relate the two at all. I can type faster than I can find functions from a list, anyways.

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like notepad.
    the only reason i started using Dreamweaver was FTP fetaure.

if notepad only had this, i would have kept on using it.
    ---------------------------
    Errors = Improved Programming.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Notepad is something you use when you first begin developing your first few applications.

Afterwards, you should realize that something like Dreamweaver is far superior. Indenting, color coding, functions list, tabbing, are just some of the things to look for when writing clean-cut code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dreamweaver is good for mostly for html and anything ui related, and it can help to do quick fixes for programming, however i still prefer for an IDE for any kind of progamming with oop

dreamweaver does not automatically register user created functions, variables and classes. while DW is highly extensiable and is a great mutli-purpose tool, if a person is knee deep in code, an IDE that is feature rich is probably the way to go, esp for debugging.

as for everyone trashing notepad..... its a great lightweight tool on every windows machine, so why trash consistency? Notice, its name doesn't include the word "editor" in it, do you write a full paper while taking notes? no, you just put down quick and dirty things that you want to remember or need to know or use it for a quick fix.

know thy tools... and use the right ones for the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not what you use. It's how you use it. I've seen some spanking good websites created with nothing more than notepad and photo shop for a few little graphics. On the other hand, I've seen more than my share of poorly designed websites that were made with $300 software.

If you can't open up Notepad and create a standards-compliant website, even if it is a little more cumbersome, then you need to rethink your approach to web design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dreamweaver for PHP, as i do all html etc coding in Dreamweaver. and don't have to swith between diffrent programs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepad was never meant for web programming, it shouldn't even be discussed here. How can notepad possibly compare to dreamweaver? Anybody can make their own notepad program in C++ or Java, it doesn't take a genious to create a box where you can input regular text and then save it. Ofcoarse it is fast, that is not the point, when you go back after 5 months to your source code and not understand a damn thing that is going on, that's when your realize you made a big mistake using notepad in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepad was never meant for web programming, it shouldn't even be discussed here. How can notepad possibly compare to dreamweaver? Anybody can make their own notepad program in C++ or Java, it doesn't take a genious to create a box where you can input regular text and then save it. Ofcoarse it is fast, that is not the point, when you go back after 5 months to your source code and not understand a damn thing that is going on, that's when your realize you made a big mistake using notepad in the first place.
    i agree, that notepad can't be compared to Dreamweaver..

But, I din't with the part when you said you can't get a thing after 5 months of what you've been doing. i think its the same with Dreamweaver if you don't comment it. so, comments should be there no matter what you use. just using something like dreamweaver doesn't make the program easy to remmeber after 5 months, if you don't have comments
    Last edited by jaswinder_rana; May 29, 2005 at 17:10.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the program you code with, it's how you program with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan B
    It's not the program you code with, it's how you program with it.
    I totally agree. I don't care what program you're using, if you can't code, you can't code. Give me a talented programmer with notepad over some other schmuck with DreamWeaver any day. Or any other coding program, for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EOBeav
    I totally agree. I don't care what program you're using, if you can't code, you can't code. Give me a talented programmer with notepad over some other schmuck with DreamWeaver any day. Or any other coding program, for that matter.
    Word.

Notepad, for the educated, is a decent program (short of syntax highlighting, of course.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but, it'll be slower with notepad, you can't be as organized, you don't know the width and height of a standard 80 column source code. You don't know the lines, you can't distinguish different parts of code in notepad as in dreamweaver, which can ultimately lead to poor and unorganized code. If you notepad guys/gals thing you're so great with it, how about posting some of your code .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but, it'll be slower with notepad, you can't be as organized, you don't know the width and height of a standard 80 column source code. You don't know the lines, you can't distinguish different parts of code in notepad as in dreamweaver, which can ultimately lead to poor and unorganized code. If you notepad guys/gals thing you're so great with it, how about posting some of your code .
    You also couldn't do those things 10 years ago when a lot of us were already up to our elbows in legacy code.

If I'm using notepad, I don't care about line numbers. I only need that when I get a compile (or parse) error. In which case it tells me what line the error is on, and Notepad then provides the functionality to easily go to that line.

Also, I don't know why you would need to rely on your IDE to distinguish sections of code, especially one such as Dreamweaver which doesn't support code collapse.

That said, UltraEdit for life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me a person, who never got any parse error and never got any problem because they were using an IDE which had color syntax highlighting.

also i know dreamweaver has those auto complete features for HTML, unless as a prgrammer you don't know them then its ot worth, its just like copying and pasting and in the end you don't know what you did.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats true, thats sometimes a bad thing about beginners using IDE's it does stuff without them releasing what is going in. Sometimes the best thing for learning is to have to look through line after line of code to find a parse error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does posting some code have to do with anything, If a super experienced programmer was to very quickly knock something up in notepad and a lame programmer was to knock something up on dreamweaver then the experienced programmer would still make better code.