User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killerkooki
    List of PHP Editors
    That should be a pretty good list of IDEs that you can use (a little further down in that post).
    Wow. There are a lot of really good links here. Thanks for point it out killerkooki.

On subject. I use Text Pad 4. I does pretty good on the syntax hilighting. But the best feature is that its fast, easy to work with, and I can install it where needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use note pad and I find it the fastest solution till now!
    sometimes I use frontpage for both php & HTML
    Finally, I use Microsoft Visual Studio and it's amazing when used for PHP
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil ..
    .. is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a handful of different things, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. When I'm doing "real" PHP coding (not a simple script, or a simple modification to a script), I use Zend. Personally, I haven't found any issues with it, although, I know others who really dislike it.

If I'm doing something more simplistic, I use notepad2. My only complaint about notepad2 is that it doesn't support multiple files being open at once (the way most modern IDEs do, with the convinent little tabs at the bottom; you know what I'm talking about). Similarly, in Linux, I use kwrite. kwrite offers pretty much the same features as notepad2, just more of them (support for more languages, more advanced options, etc).

In Linux, when I'm doing "real" work, I either use Quanta or Zend. Personally, I don't like Zend in Linux nearly as much as I do in Windows, and I've also had issues with recent versions of Quanta. What I like about Quanta though is its built-in FTP and multiple-file support. Built-in FTP makes working on projects hosted remotely a *lot* easier (rather than kwrite and an FTP client), and multiple file support keeps the task bar clean.

So...
    Simple projects: notepad2 (Win32), kwrite (Linux)
    Harder stuff: Zend (Win32), Quanta (Linux), and, occasionally, kwrite (Linux).

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I encourage all the people who say they use Notepad to at least try NP2 and see it in action. It is basically the same, except it has the features Nathan mentioned NP does not have, syntax highlighting and line numbers and what ever that is that Twig Mentioned heredoc! Never heard of it, must be a PHP thing?

I did not get rid of plain old NP I have both installed. I used to use it more when I first got it, but since I started using Crimson I have not gone back.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely all that changing between software gets on your nerves though?

I just use Dreamweaver on its own, it's not overly complex but not too simple, has multiple file support and FTP, and as most of my PHP work is involved in interface handling the Design view for HTML/CSS saves me invaluable time and effort (as well as eye-strain ), also I'm a baby and like to see what I'm working with.

Also I think it's about finding a program you are comfortable with, sticking with it and eventually you'll code in it like a beaut. I do value the advantages of a proper IDE though, syntax highlighting/multiple file handling/ftp/auto-code completion are features which if implemented subtly and not forced in your face like with some IDE's (another reason I enjoy Dreamweaver) then it really does aid your programming in terms of speed and quality.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a free editor called Context. www.context.cx I've customized the colors and options. It works well for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale C
    Flippin' hec, PHP Designer looks like a cracking piece of software. If I had coded that I'd be charging a truck load, that interface must of taken months to develop.

Probably a little too complex for its own good though, the syntax highlighting is identical to Dreamweaver MX so I'm probably not going to convert. The function library is absolutely fantastic though I wish I could integrate that to Dreamweaver. The only thing is I know most of the functions I'd need to use off by heart but I may well use it as a quick resource.

What WOULD be a handy feature is if an IDE could build a list of all the functions in each of your classes and give you a quick way to call them..often I end up writing code for something forgetting I already have a function of my own to do that exact thing ...I could write a function definition list but I'm too lazy to do that ..if a program could do that for me I'd snap it up .
    there are php extentions in the macromedia exchange that do this 3(mainly to extend the library to include php5 stuff) .Dreamweaver should have most functions built in it, you just need to use control + spacebar to call up the list for autocompletion.

There are IDE's already with project work spaces that have code completion, zend, nusphere, and i'm not sure but i think komodo might as well.

however when working with oop i prefer an IDE with autocomplete and phpdoc functionality, but i user dreamweaver + top style for my xhtml, javascript, css (if you know how to customize your editor, esp dreamweaver, you can really speed things up, including creating your own tags, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSPAD is the best editor. A must have for any developer. Or just use Zend Studio for PHP.

www.pspad.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a response. I will have to have a good look through all of your suggestions. NP2 does sound good as I like to write the code myself to keep things neat. Many thanks to all of you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up at 6am Linmed?

Thanks for the tip by the way mx2k, I didn't know about the CTRL+Space Bar force auto-complete..you learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up at 6am Linmed?

Thanks for the tip by the way mx2k, I didn't know about the CTRL+Space Bar force auto-complete..you learn something new every day.
    Yep, 3 month old daughter!

She makes me very productive, always at my desk early now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is great and has some nice features that kill notepad (although i use that often when just needing to make small edits).

The best feature is SNIPPETS - yeah SNIPPETS KICK BUTT , try them and your see what i mean. You can organise your code that you use often into folders etc and then just hit one when you need to use that piece of code and then you can make specific small changes on the code instead of writing it from scratch. fast, efficient and much more productive.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linmed01
    Yep, 3 month old daughter!

She makes me very productive, always at my desk early now!
    Wish I had an excuse, my only excuse is terrible sleeping habbits.

Oh well, I've been programming for 14 hours straight now so I think it's time to sleep.

domain sale, I am aware of the snippets concept, but didn't realise it was a feature in Dreamweaver? How does one go about enabling this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello my firend,When you are using notepad....

Hello my firend

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...hlight=notepad

Scoates said:

Here are a few bad things re:Notepad that pop into my mind: -It doesn't keep indents. -Doesn't allow you to see line numbers. -60/64k/whateverk file size limit. -Tabs are tabs. They're always tabs. They're always the same width (8 chars?). -Can't spot syntax errors by colour. -Can't Indent/Out-dent whole code blocks at a time. -Find and replace SUCKS. I would never let my co-workers (if they were working under me) use notepad full-time. We don't have that kind of time to waste. I haven't found the perfect editor. AFAIK, it doesn't exist. But there are much better alternatives to Notepad (and some of them have been mentioned in this thread).

GOOD LUCK MY FIREND

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I try a new editor, it just doesn't feel natural. I've used EditPlus forever and it works great.
    WebJunkie - Behind the scenes of a webmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver mx 2004 has great php code hinting and syntax coloring. Limited server behaviours for php, but handy nevertheless If you hate the price tag, PHP Designer mentioned above, looks fantastic for something that's free...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flippin' hec, PHP Designer looks like a cracking piece of software. If I had coded that I'd be charging a truck load, that interface must of taken months to develop.
    Yeah, I've always liked it. It really is pretty good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i forgot to mention another real good editor (although i havent used it much for php) is Jedit
    http://www.jedit.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use TextPad. I dont like editors wih 10 bloody panes with code libraries and bookmarks and whatnot. All I need is a blank screen to type in. And tabbed windows is sweet.

I'm downloading NP to check out, heredoc support sounds bloody awesome!
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam A Flynn
    I use a handful of different things, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. When I'm doing "real" PHP coding (not a simple script, or a simple modification to a script), I use Zend. Personally, I haven't found any issues with it, although, I know others who really dislike it.
    I haven't found any issues with it neither. For big projects it's just perfect. What other people doesn't like about it? I would really like to know.
    -- Jelena --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allow me: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html. Small, sleek and great for quick edits.
    Leszek Leszczyński
    www.hazelsoft.com
    --- Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write,
    it should be hard to understand. ---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is notepad2 the same as notepad++ ???

i got shown notepad++ the other week and fell in love! it supports about 15 different languages and has an auto-complete feature for PHP which is very similar to microsoft's intellisense.

The Jellophonic Autobrain CHeeSeBLiND's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasber
    Every time I try a new editor, it just doesn't feel natural. I've used EditPlus forever and it works great.
    I agree, and I've been using editplus for years aswell. I'm using it to develop PHP apps as well as xhtml and css stuff.
    hmm...

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Textpad - the choice of the professional,

enough said.
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those who've suggested PHP Designer earlier. Here are some of my own quickie reviews.

1. PHP Designer 2005
    Pros:
    Faster loading, syntax highlighting (so I can identify and skip a bunch of comments easily), block indentation/out-dentation, good search and replace, file manager, and other common stuff.
    Cons:
    The interface is a little sluggish, too many panels (disabled almost everything), 9 tabs limit (hate it, I have a bunch of classes/scripts open for reference).\
    Summary:
    A good software. My current editor.

2. Dreamweaver
    Pros:
    Fast and stable. You can figure out the rest.
    Cons:
    Slow start-up on my machine, memory consuming.
    Summary
    Might use it again. A good tool.

3. Web32pad
    Pros:
    Similar to Notepad, multiple line search/replace, selectable background/font/color, quick start-up, auto-indent, save in Win/Mac/Unix file format.
    Cons:
    Non-tabbed, no syntax colouring.
    Summary
    It was my primary editor but it is just too basic. You might work slower on it.

4. Notepad
    Pros:
    Fast and easy.
    Cons:
    Man, it annoys me when I have to tab tab tab tab tab. Too basic (what it's supposed to be right?).
    Summary
    Normally just used for editing few lines.

Hope these might help someone out there. Please take a note that I didn't mention anything about server intergration or FTP because I am working with PHP locally.