SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organizing Flash: 1 file or 1 file & multiple swf loaded within?

I am starting to work on a large project using Flash ... and I haven't used Flash since version 4 (so I'm sure this is just the first question of many). These may be "newbie" questions ...

To give you a background, the Flash will be a "build a bracelet" module. A bracelet chain will be selectable and then the user can choose from a variety of beads to drag and drop onto it to see what it looks like together before buying.

The user will choose a bracelet (thus loading a particular image for it) and then have options to select differnt types of beads to view (silver beads, gold beads, alphabet beads, etc). Since only so many can fit on a page (without scrolling too much) I am wondering what the best method of handling them would be (FYI, I am hoping to also learn XML and load these items dynamicall ... but one step at a time).

Option 1: Include all beads in the main SWF file and show/hide the list of beads as the user chooses (click on Silver and the images for Silver appear). I'm not sure if this will make for a huge SWF file to load as each image is a JPG.

Option 2: Have a main SWF file that has the beginning part where they choose one of the types of beads to view (a button to load Silver) which would then trigger a different SWF to load up inside the main one. This would eliminate the need to load them all at once, only the parts that are being used at the time ... however, I'm not sure how an SWF loaded in another will work (ie. can you drag items from the embedded SWF over the main file?).

Option 3: Something better that I don't know about?

Like I said, this is probably a very basic question but I have to start somewhere. If you need any more info to better understand I can try to explain better too. Thanks.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the decisions yours here. Firstly depends on how many beads, ie how many choices does the user have to view? and also how big the pictures actually are?

Not 100% clear about the application your building. But I think your at present asking how users can choose something then whats the best way to load there choice ?

Like a gallery ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsaynor
    Not 100% clear about the application your building. But I think your at present asking how users can choose something then whats the best way to load there choice ?

Like a gallery ?
    Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be hard to really explain the whole thing. I've put a sample of what it will do on my site (very basic right now) but should give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. Shown are the alphabet beads. You can drag them around and in the end (hopefully) the user will be able to select any of the categories, drag the beads they want onto the bracelet and see what it will look like.

http://www.liquidreflex.com/bracelet.html

I think the decisions yours here. Firstly depends on how many beads, ie how many choices does the user have to view? and also how big the pictures actually are?
    The number of beads (right now) is at about 280 different ones in about 8 different categories (silver, gold, alphabet, etc). My main concern is if I load all 280 images in 1 flash file it will be a very large file (MB-wise) making it a long load at the beginning (not a good thing). So I thought if maybe it were multiple files that load up as needed, the initial load time would be less ... but not sure if the functionality is there (like if you load a new category, will the bead they put on the bracelet stay or disappear, etc). I suppose I could try to load all the images into the Flash and see how big it gets (without any scripting) and then know what the general size would be to start. If it's 8MB just with the images, then I already know the answer.

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would then definatly have the Beads load in, in seperate categories.

gold_beads.swf
    silver_beads.swf

Click a category button in the main SWF will load the external swf to the right where the beads are located right now. On drag of the bead you will have to swap the movie clip of the bead to the main movie so it stays there. other wise if your dragging around in the SWF loaded the next category would override the full movieclip. so some kind of duplicating will be needed or swapping.

This sound right ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would then definatly have the Beads load in, in seperate categories.

gold_beads.swf
    silver_beads.swf

Click a category button in the main SWF will load the external swf to the right where the beads are located right now. On drag of the bead you will have to swap the movie clip of the bead to the main movie so it stays there. other wise if your dragging around in the SWF loaded the next category would override the full movieclip. so some kind of duplicating will be needed or swapping.

This sound right ?
    I figured the separate files would be the best (for size) but like you said, some sort of duplicating or swapping would need to be done ... which is something I've never done (or even know if it's possible ... is it?).

I think I may be biting off more than I can chew.

always learning . . .
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh its possible my friend.

What would be done is each of the beads in the SWF would be a Movie Clip in the library.

Then on release after the drag you will unload the current dragged item which is playing in the external SWF firstly getting its co-ordinates then attach the same dragged Movie Clip from the library to main SWF.

That is what I have in mind. One way any how.

I'm in the UK as you can see and its now 9:37PM thursday. If you can be patient and wait untill saturday my time I shall be able to mock this up for you. Please let me know either way by PM.

TJ

PS. Nice portfolio of work. No links to the actual websites though? how come? Love some of the designs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the UK as you can see and its now 9:37PM thursday. If you can be patient and wait untill saturday my time I shall be able to mock this up for you. Please let me know either way by PM.
    No problem. I appreciate all the help. This project will be one I'll be working on over the next month (at least) so I'm definitely in no hurry. A mock up anytime will definitely help out I think (I learn better with visuals than books).

PS. Nice portfolio of work. No links to the actual websites though? how come? Love some of the designs.
    Thanks. I don't have links because right now most of my clients are done via outsourcing or partnerships with other design companies. Part of the stipulation was that I couldn't link directly to the live site because it would call attention to the fact that a different person (me) has it in their portfolio in addition to the main company. Once I start up my business (officially) I hope to work in something of a "partner linking system" that would allow me to put more of the work I have done for clients (that is just a sampling which hasn't been added to for about the last year or so).