User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Float problems with IE

http://ben.web.arizona.edu/junk/spf_help.html

OK, so I am working on this design, developing it on a Mac and don't have easy access to a PC so trying to figure out why the right column "#right_col" does not float and is getting pushed under the left column in IE on a pc is frustrating me. Any help would be great. Also, if you could mention any other problems you see that might cause issues with the design on a PC would be great. Thanks in advance.

* I am not planning on leaving the css inline, but found that it makes it easier for me to develop and test if I only have one page open...

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect that IE/Win is pushing the container wider than the stated width and therefore doesn't have enough room to float where you intend it to.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can I fix that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure that all of the widths, padding, margins, and borders of the children don't exceed the width of that floated container.

You should be aware that in a 800x600 resolution there isn't enough room fo that container to be floated where you intend it to either.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://ben.web.arizona.edu/uaweb/help.html

I think I found the solution to the problem. Seems that I had an extra </div> tag in my code that was putting the left column outside of its intended container. There is a new problem now, or two rather. One being that my spacer div, which appears as a empty green box, does not render properly in Firefox???? The other is
    You should be aware that in a 800x600 resolution there isn't enough room fo that container to be floated where you intend it to either.
    which I am not sure what I need to do. The total width of the largest container is 760px, why would this not fit inside a 800x600 resolution. Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try fixing your remaining XHTML errors. For example, replace & with &amp;.

Because of the margin on the left. Just reduce the width of your browser. Firefox's Web Developer extension is handy for this.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions