SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banner Ads - Encourage a higher CTR

I've been doing a little reading online about banner advertising. From a few of the sources I've read it sounds like people are saying internet users are lazy and you need to tell them what to do (or even trick them into clicking). Basically, you should always put "Click Here" on every banner if you want to increase the CTR. I also hear making banners that look like actual text links may help encourage a click-though. What do you guys think and can you (and are you willing) to share any of the tips you've learned? My company is going to start getting some more banners to advertise and I'd like to tell the designers what we want before we waste money on ineffective banner designs.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarlp
    I've been doing a little reading online about banner advertising. From a few of the sources I've read it sounds like people are saying internet users are lazy and you need to tell them what to do (or even trick them into clicking). Basically, you should always put "Click Here" on every banner if you want to increase the CTR. I also hear making banners that look like actual text links may help encourage a click-though. What do you guys think and can you (and are you willing) to share any of the tips you've learned? My company is going to start getting some more banners to advertise and I'd like to tell the designers what we want before we waste money on ineffective banner designs.
    What you say is generally true. But you better have a way to track your banner campaigns to find out if your banner campaigns make money. Also, you'll have to test your banner ads. Most of the time, text banners will do better, but not all the time. It depends on your industry and so forth.

I'd say, start with text ads and do put the (click here) thing. Then create another banner ad that doesn't say (click here) or that is a nice image. Most banner ad agencies will allow you to do split testing between two ads so you know which generates the most clicks and which generates the most sales.

Sheriff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you find some new sources for your market research.

"Click Here" is a call to action. Calls to action is a fundemental marketing concept. It's not enough to slap together some gifs and hope that your site will start ringing up sales.

"Click here" is the internet equivalant for "Try today" in TV commercials or "Call now" in print advertising.

I suggest you read up on marketing and advertising in general. The web isn't that much of a different world than the real one:

Assuming you'll be advertising for your supplements site:

- Show customers benefits of your product/service (bulk up 50% more than product x)
    - Place a call to action (click here for a free trial/click here for today's specials)
    - Make an effective landing page to convert visitors into customers

Those are my thoughts.

Technical Director at StuckOn JakeCop's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highest click through I ever had on a banner was when I designed one for a virus software product, and made it look like the windows dialogue box.

However, the conversion was the lowest ever!

Win some lose some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCop
    The highest click through I ever had on a banner was when I designed one for a virus software product, and made it look like the windows dialogue box.

However, the conversion was the lowest ever!

Win some lose some.
    Misleading or "fake" banners (ones that look like something else) have higher CTR but lower conversion because after the user clicks the ad they realize it was just that, an ad!