SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java Starting for JavaScript on Netscape Navigator

Ok, what gives. I have JavaScript on a page. The JS opens a new window when an <a href onClick=newwindow()> is clicked on. Now the problems is when I click on the tag in IE the thing works fine. But when I click on the same link in netscape 4.7 the browser seems to pause, the status bar says "starting java", it then says java started and the window pops up. So it is working but the pause and the starting java in the status bar is unacceptable.

Any Ideas?

Brett

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unaccpetable to who? You? I suggest emailing netscape about it. It is a fact of life that all web developers have to deal with. Netscape bites! That is a fact of life. I say you get over it and concentrate on making it as cross-browser compatible as possible keeping in mind it can never truly work exactly the same in IE and in Netscape, never mind the others like Opera and HotJava.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should supply what I feel is unacceptable. The last steps take a fair amount of time to execute. I would say a good five-ten seconds for java to start. Also when I try to load javascript(not mine) on other pages I don't get the starting java statment in the status bar. But I will admit that I only did a very quick test. I have checked a bunch and in no way am I starting java in the code. So I was wondering why Netscape was staring java for no reason that I can tell.

So I should phrase the question better. Are there standard JavaScript commands that will make java start in Netscape? I am poping windows and have an on load handeler that is it, no applets or livewire or java called by me just JS.

Thanks in advance for you help
    Brett

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the fix.

After much work. I figured out the problem. In my window.open(); call I included the parameter titlebar=0, Bad move on Netscape. Once I remove the titlebar=0 the popup window did start java.

THanks for the help
    Brett

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Freddydoesphp,
    I wish you could have been there when the Netscape fan club put me in my place.
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=26161
    bsacks
    http://www.middlepeak.com

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only read two of the many posts in that thread. My take is that you can code for cross-browser compatibility even with layers. All the dhtml I do works the same in IE, NS4+ and NS6 its a pain but it can be done. Look at http://www.solutionsenabler.com check in all three browsers the menu system works the same in all of them. So it can be done.

I am weening off of Netscape for good, but I still make my scripts work in it. There are a few differences in the way you must code for each, but its possible to maintain the cross-browser effect if you do so carefully.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am not planning on supporting NN for long either. Although it is easy to script for because when I learned JS it was my favorite browser and it has that cool debug console that I still use alot.
    bsacks
    http://www.middlepeak.com