SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Email Question

Somebody has decided to totally mess up my email by sending me a huge email, way too big to recieve in one sitting on my 56k modem. Is there any way at all to skip an incoming email, or ignore attachments for a while, or something, dammit, I can't get any email because of this

Any help, appreciated lots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could:

Sign up for an account with Yahoo or similar, set that up to download mail from your other mail accounts using POP, and then view only the ones you want...

The disadvantage would be that you couldn't save the other emails in your regular email client.

What is your email client? It might have a "download headers only" option somewhere - and then it'd only download the message body (the attachments are part of the body) if you opened the particular message.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't believe I missed this forum, I thought general was the one that most closely represented it Sorry.

I'm using outlook, if you know of some option that makes it easier, do tell, otherwhise I'll have a go doing what you suggest with my yahoo account. Thanks lots.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could go to a place like mail2web.com or popchecker.com, then delete the email with the big attachment along with the attachment, that should sort it.

dean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to delete it, you could set your e-mail client to "not download any e-mails larger than XXXX" (check your software's options). That way the huge e-mail will stay on the mail server until you decide to take the time to download it (overnight or something).

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact your ISP tech support and ask them to delete it from your email spool. I have done this

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    You could:

Sign up for an account with Yahoo or similar, set that up to download mail from your other mail accounts using POP, and then view only the ones you want...

The disadvantage would be that you couldn't save the other emails in your regular email client.

What is your email client? It might have a "download headers only" option somewhere - and then it'd only download the message body (the attachments are part of the body) if you opened the particular message.
    The problem with this is Yahoo and Hotmail limit attachment size to 2 MB
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor