SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listed on Google Directory but not DMOZ?

I have finally been listed in the Google directory but I still cannot find my site on DMOZ. I thought that to get in the Google Directory your site had to make it through DMOZ first. Was I wrong? I have noticed a few hits from DMOZ editors looking at the site...

Any ideas?

Also, if I go to the category where my site is listed I cannot find my site but if I do a search under the category my site shows up just fine.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird! I always thought the same...

Off Topic:

My latest isn't in either yet, despite multiple submissions - a sensible amount of time apart, of course. It keeps saying category under review if I apply to edit it, which is worrying? I wonder if I'm wasting my time, but that's a whole other thread!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that you have to be listed on Dmoz before getting into google. Probably it might be like that in the past, but not any more. These days it probably takes a couple of weeks to get into google but for Dmoz, from what I read in other threads, it might take couple of years.

It took two weeks for the googlebots start spidering in my website, but till now no luck in Dmoz.

My site: www.UnivSearch.com,
    Launch date: Mar 12,2005 and
    Google submission date: Mar 15, 2005
    Dmoz submission date: Mar 15, 2005

By the way, providing more information on your site - launch date of site, site URL, submission date for google and Dmoz would give better insight of your problem. Also how did you find that you have few hits from Dmoz editors?
    Last edited by dharamgollapudi; May 10, 2005 at 10:50. Reason: Provide more information

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satynos
    I dont think that you have to be listed on Dmoz before getting into google. It might have been in the past, but not any more. These days it probably takes a couple of weeks to get into google but for Dmoz, from what I read in other threads, it might take couple of years. By the way, providing more information on your site - launch date of site, site URL, submission date for google and Dmoz would give better insight of your problem. Also how did you find that you have few hits from Dmoz editors?
    I have no problem getting listed with Google, I've been listed with them for a while. I was talking more specifically about the Google Directory which is powered by DMOZ. I submitted the site about a month ago to DMOZ and I noticed the hits by looking at a log file that had referrals from the DMOZ control panel under the category that I submitted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    I have finally been listed in the Google directory but I still cannot find my site on DMOZ. I thought that to get in the Google Directory your site had to make it through DMOZ first. Was I wrong? I have noticed a few hits from DMOZ editors looking at the site...

Any ideas?

Also, if I go to the category where my site is listed I cannot find my site but if I do a search under the category my site shows up just fine.
    google only updates about every 3 months or even longer now since Dmoz updates frequently. so most likely dmoz removed your site from the directory and since google has not yet updated its listings it hasnt removed your site. i of course could be wrong.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonbomb22
    google only updates about every 3 months or even longer now since Dmoz updates frequently. so most likely dmoz removed your site from the directory and since google has not yet updated its listings it hasnt removed your site. i of course could be wrong.
    But I haven't been listed in the Google Directory till a few days ago... Could it be that DMOZ hasn't synced its records with the Google Directory? Or maybe I am getting each one from a different IP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also thinking Dmoz had your site for sometime and removed later, but Google didn't update yet. Go here and ask http://www.resource-zone.com/ they must know thatl.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What category are you in? Look in the parallel one in dmoz.

If you are using the dmoz search that won't do anything as it isn't constantly updated.

You have to be in dmoz before the Goggle Directory. The only way to be in the GD and not dmoz is if you were recently removed from dmoz.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about the plants site, it is in dmoz, but not the Google Directory yet. It shows in Google Directory search (which means the Directory should be updated soon).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010
    If you are talking about the plants site, it is in dmoz, but not the Google Directory yet. It shows in Google Directory search (which means the Directory should be updated soon).
    I was talking about badice.com...

I just looked in DMOZ and it is now showing up. I'm happy.